Brewer Fanatic

Any chance of Gallardo in September or October? -- Latest: Yo will start this Thursday according to BCR (reply #234ish)

panama74
  • Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone please clarify this for me... Would Yo have to be on the active roster by 8/31 in order to be allowed to participate in postseason play? Or since he's on the DL, he would still be able to make an appearance in late September and then still pitch in October?

Man, I'm getting way ahead of myself here thinking of this being even a remote possibility!

well, I'm sincerely hoping that it's just rehab work and that he doesn't get into any game action this year. Call me a party-pooper, if you will, but I really don't want to become a Royals fan . . . .

. . . . plus, I really feel that this is being rushed.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Can someone please clarify this for me... Would Yo have to be on the active roster by 8/31 in order to be allowed to participate in postseason play? Or since he's on the DL, he would still be able to make an appearance in late September and then still pitch in October?

Man, I'm getting way ahead of myself here thinking of this being even a remote possibility!

Players on the DL by 8/31 are still eligible for the postseason roster.

If there is any long-term danger to Yo's health or mechanics posed by coming back, I'd prefer he shut it down and prepare for next year.

That won't stop me from hoping he comes back in late September, however.

Also:

Would Yo have to be on the active roster by 8/31 in order to be allowed to participate in postseason play? Or since he's on the DL, he would still be able to make an appearance in late September and then still pitch in October?

Didn't Aaron Cook come off of the DL to start in the World Series last year?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I kind of agree with pitchleague on this one. Perhaps its because of the last 20+ years of futility has conditioned me to expect the worse, but I can almost picture Yo turning into the next Fransisco Liriano because he's trying like mad to come back this September.

I know the organization's mentality for the year was set by the Sabathia trade- "We are going for it"- but trading prospects for a rental is different than a young star pitcher coming back from an injury.

I don't have any medical training or background, but something about this doesn't "feel" right. I know it is entirely probable that Yo is on schedule, and he isn't being rushed. And maybe throwing off flat ground means he is still 8 weeks from throwing off a mound. That said I really do fear he is rushing to get back because he wants to be part of this team. I think he needs to be 100% healthy before he sees any time in a game, and give the layoff, I'd prefer the first couple games be in Huntsville or Nashville, or in Arizona next February, not against the Cubs with the playoffs on the line.

I am not at all concerned about his ACL at this point. If pitching were only about using your arms, I'd wheel him out there tomorrow. Because it's not just about his arm, I worry about a change in delivery to compensate for any pain, strength or flexibility issues he may be having. Again, this may be years of negative conditioning, but I don't think it's worth risking his 2009 or beyond for 20 or so innings in 2008.

On a more positive note, as much as having a healthy Yo would help, I think the Brewers can win without him if Melvin can shore up the pen.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

An ACL to a pitcher isn't as important as it is to a running back, or a point guard - while it does need to be strengthened to the point of having no issues with overcompensating other parts of the delivery and abusing the arm/shoulder, but by no means does it need to be a yearlong absence from the game. I would think the Brewers' brass wouldn't even bring this up as a possibility unless they have no worries about rushing Yo back and reinjuring something.

Yo being able to have his arm strength by September isn't the issue - his arm is healthy. If his knee recovers well enough, he'll be able to continue on a throwing program to build his arm up. If he's throwing from 45 feet now, it's ahead of what I expected his rehab to be, and the only thing keeping him from continuing to ramp it up is his leg/knee strength.

Definitely not something the Brewers should be counting on, but I think it's something that's got to be explored if it looks like Yo's progressing well with rehabbing that knee.

To try and keep perspective on this, my guess is Mark Rogers could probably throw from 45 feet on flat ground right now - heck, I could throw offhanded from 45 feet on flat ground. Until there's a timetable on when he's progressed to the point of extended long toss followed by getting himself on a mound, we probably shouldn't start projecting when he's back in Milwaukee.

Hey, I don't want to rain on any parades or anything, but I work at the ballpark, and walked in recently with Yo. I asked him how things were going with rehab, etc, and it certainly didn't sound as though he were optimistic about returing in '08. I believe his exact quote was "This year? That would be kind of tough." So while he didn't rule it out, it's not like he's counting down the days until his rehab assignment either...

just maybe if the brewers are in it and still fighting for first on one cold breezy late September day and his knee feels fine he will have that imfamous 'itch' to go out there and pitch and add some extra fuel to the fire for brewer playoff baseball...

To try and keep perspective on this, my guess is Mark Rogers could probably throw from 45 feet on flat ground right now - heck, I could throw offhanded from 45 feet on flat ground.
Oh Logic and Reason! - you are a grey cloud indeed!

Those were my thoughts exactly. He hurt his knee. Unless he is throwing with his foot - this really isn't a development at all. Of course he would continue to throw (at least somewhat) while rehabbing his knee.

Did you really expect him to go an entire year before he picked up a baseball!?!?

I know Baseball Prospectus says he's throwing, but Tom Haudricourt says otherwise:

But Gallardo and the Brewers still have hope - albeit it slim - that he could return sometime in September. He has not begun to throw yet but is making nice progress in the rehabilitation program on the knee.

link

Great news, but not for this season (I hope). The fact that he's potentially going to be able to pitch by the end of the season will hopefully mean he can resume regular offseason workouts and come in throwing smoke when pitchers and catchers report. I'm OK with trading the future in Laporta+ for Sabathia, but I'd like to not see a potential ace starter ruined to potentially increase our chances by half a percent. Unless the team doctors say he's totally ready to go, which is unlikely, I think it's best we resign ourselves to wait a while and resume marveling in his glory for the next five years.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the latest from Jim Powell's blog:

"I caught up with Yovanni this evening before the third Brewers-Cubs game at Miller Park and quizzed him about his rehab from ACL surgery and the prospects of a return to the mound in '08. There is no doubt that his rehab is going very well, and there is no question that he wants to get back this year, preferably in his usual role as a starter. You can hear his words and tone of voice HERE. Getting Gallardo back in September has been a dream of the Brewers and their fans, and it is looking more positive with every passing day."

After the most disappointing three games of the year, I was about as down on the Brewers as possible, but this news brought a smile to my face. CC, Sheets, Gallardo, Parra - Assuming that the offense will eventually start hitting again, that sounds pretty good regardless of who you plug in as the fifth starter.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Odd that Jim would be so positive about his return in September when just a few days ago (I think Sunday) Davey Nelson reported that Gallardo felt he had almost no chance of returning this year in any role.

So, even tho what Jim Powell says is good news, I'm going to temper it with what Nelson reported last weekend. If it happens, I'll consider it unexpected good news. If it doesn't, it's what I was expecting.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

ACl injuries usual take more time to heal, I just read that my team Punter on the steelers is out w/an ACL. It seems he hurt it in April in 06 and came back to punted in sept of 06. He believes that he rushed back which caused the tear again.

So hopefully YO will not rush back too soon

The stresses that a baseball pitcher places on his knee are almost completely different than those of an NFL punter. I agree that Yo shouldn't rush back if he plans on colliding with baserunners, but if he sticks to just pitching, there is likely little risk of re-injuring his knee.

The concern about Yo coming back too soon should be focused on whether a small amount of pain would lead to him altering his delivery and causing problems down the road.

Archived