Brewer Fanatic

Any chance of Gallardo in September or October? -- Latest: Yo will start this Thursday according to BCR (reply #234ish)

panama74
I have to agree with the past two posts, I have no idea what a rickroll is or how that came about, so maybe that is why I am not understanding the level of vehements thrown at this fella. I am however not sure why posters on here get so upset when somebody tries to impart some news that may perhaps be of the "breaking" tense. I do however agree that some new posting rule perhaps has to be adopted here. No personal promotion should be allowed, except in the trading forum.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no idea what a rickroll is or how that came about, so maybe that is why I am not understanding the level of vehements thrown at this fella.

Rickrolling is an obnoxious internet meme. And from here on out, if it's done anywhere outside of the Off-Topic forum (not that I encourage it there), I deem it as trolling and will respond accordingly.

Wow sixtofan, you must get offended rather easily. I'm sure Channel 4 wasn't offended when Brewerfan.net was promoting their site recently on their station, and I'm sure you weren't offended either. I'm sure the local sports radio stations weren't offended when Brewerfan.net was promoting their site on their stations and you weren't either. As a matter of fact, our show has had Brian and Patrick on from Brewerfan.net several times to promote the website.

TauPentaRei, this is the first time our show has ever given a scoop to this site or thrown out any kind of news before it was officially released by the Milwaukee Brewers. We don't just throw out wild rumors on this site and our show without throughly checking it out. Plus how can you post "first" on a jsonline blog, when you broke the story 20 hours earlier?

If Yo didn't start the game Scott Bartell and our show would have been flamed beyond belief. Now that Scott Bartell's scoop did go through, him and our show are still getting ridiculed anyways. I'm starting to believe it's not worth sharing any information with this site anymore. What's the point in it?

And FTJ can just recklessly assume that pudster=Scott Bartell and name call and that's fine, but if someone breaks a big story and wants to get credit for it that's "offensive"?

imblotto can post with confidence by no means we have inside sources without knowing that for sure but that's OK as well I guess.

To Bill Brasky,

""Brasky once hosted the Grammys and gave every award to Corey Hart."Brasky once hosted the Grammys and gave every award to Corey Hart."

"He did 3 tours in 'Nam...... I was in Corpus Christi on business a month ago. I had this eight foot tall Asian waiter, which made me curious. I asked him his name. Sure enough it's Ho Tran Brasky!"

He's a ten foot tall beastman who showers in vodka and feeds his baby shrimp scampi."

http://www.imeem.com/thevylmunkey420/video/zy2nST5T/

but Channel 4 was also not saying, "brewerjamie" every other sentence. Nor was it saying, "brewerfan.net" every other sentence. It was an actual interview that was well done.

I appreciate the scoop (not the result--I am strongly opposed to Gallardo getting the start or any appearances, for that matter), but I totally understand the displeasure others have stated in having to read "Scott Bartell" as if he is as good a reporter as Peter Gammons. By post #295 or so, we all figured out the guy's name. You could have just said "Scott" or "Mr. Bartell." Having to read "Scott Bartell" every other sentence just screams 6th grade writing assignment--and I know as I'm a teacher. BIG turn off from what is trying to get it's name out there as a reputable source in the media.

Again, congrats on the scoop, but at the same time, big whoop that you were "first."

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I am strongly opposed to Gallardo getting the start or any appearances, for that matter

At this point, do you really think you have better knowledge about Yo's health and the potential risk than the Brewers medical staff, front office and coaches (not to mention Gallardo himself)?

Brewers Live reported that Yo took batting practice today and hit some home runs. I had guessed that Yo would not even bother to swing at a ball, I guess he and the team feel more comfortable than I had thought.

it's just my personal opinion. If the team doctors say he's good to go, great. I, on the other hand, would rather have said "no" and waited until next season when his chances of re-injuring the same knee was next to nil.

I guess 30-some years of having to be pessimistic about this team will do it for you.

If anybody, however, wants to give me an absolute 100% money-back guarantee that he will absolutely not re-injure that knee in 2008, I will listen with all earnestness as a Kindergartener hearing a Curious George story. If not, please allow me to be less than thrilled with the decision.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I am strongly opposed to Gallardo getting the start or any appearances, for that matter

At this point, do you really think you have better knowledge about Yo's health and the potential risk than the Brewers medical staff, front office and coaches (not to mention Gallardo himself)?

Brewers Live reported that Yo took batting practice today and hit some home runs. I had guessed that Yo would not even bother to swing at a ball, I guess he and the team feel more comfortable than I had thought.

I don't think it's completely out of line to question. I think the team is really reaching here, and is willing to do just about anything to try to nail down that wild card spot. Considering that Sabathia is probably just about running on fumes, I don't think it's a stretch to imagine that the Brewers would take a chance, if the doctors would only say "we're pretty sure he's ok" about Gallardo.

It's not that we think we know better, it's just that having been around ACL issues I'm completely stunned that he's able to pitch, field, and hit in this short time. It's remarkable, and I consider it out of the ordinary enough that I'm hoping for the best but a part of me is fearing for the worst. Again it's just because of my personal experience dealing with athletes trying to recover from major knee surgery.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

, on the other hand, would rather have said "no" and waited until next season when his chances of re-injuring the same knee was next to nil.

Why do you think the chance of re-injuring the same knee is not next to nil now? Yo is a young, professional athlete and presumably had access to top of the line facilities and rehab professionals. Anything that a lay person knows about previous cases isn't relevant to the specific case of Gallardo and his current health.

If anybody, however, wants to give me an absolute 100% money-back guarantee that he will absolutely not re-injure that knee in 2008, I will listen with all earnestness as a Kindergartener hearing a Curious George story. If not, please allow me to be less than thrilled with the decision.

This is an unreasonable request. Gallardo could be perfectly healthy and still re-injure the same knee through a freak incident, just like the incident that injured him when he was healthy before. As far as being less than thrilled, it is certainly understandable to have concern, but to be strongly opposed to something based on incomplete information is different.

I don't understand why McClung, and Parra aren't being used instead. This is not a prudent use of our best pitching prospect.

It's not exactly prudent to use Parra with all the innings he's pitched this year and all the shoulder injuries in his career.

This is my opinion only, but I'm guessing that McClung is prepared to step in and contribute if any of our SP don't go deep over the next few days. He really isn't stretched out enough to be expected to provide 5-6 IP, but he could certainly muscle through 3-4 if needed.

Why do you think the chance of re-injuring the same knee is not next to nil now? Yo is a young, professional athlete and presumably had access to top of the line facilities and rehab professionals. Anything that a lay person knows about previous cases isn't relevant to the specific case of Gallardo and his current health.
While a case can be made about reinjuring in the knee, it's more about injuring other joints/muscles through compensation for a lack of strength/confidence in the injured area. For example trying to gain velocity through over throwing which leads to a shoulder/elbow injury. This is simple rehad, such that anyone who's helped an athlete through, been through personally, or has taken the time to be educated on the injury can attest too. Furthermore, in the medical world just like the legal world you look at past cases/injuries for precedence, in this case what a reasonable time line to return would be. For example of a worst case scenario, Aaron Henry of the Badgers blew out his ACL early last winter and had surgery, but ended up with torn cartiledge in the knee requiring a second surgery, and now might be out again this year. I've listened to literally dozens of presentations, read numerous articles, and personally helped multiple athletes rehab. I'm not a doctor, but I'm hardly uneducated on the recovery process, and I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night...

Instead of being contrary, take the time to actually understand that no one has posted they "know better" about this particular injury, some people would rather err on the side of caution, and I believe that's a reasonable stance to take. It's not playoffs or bust for me personally, I'm more concerned with the longterm health of the franchise, which at this point in time includes the longterm health of Yo and Parra, like many of the other young players.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Instead of being contrary, take the time to actually understand that no one has posted they "know better" about this particular injury, some people would rather err on the side of caution, and I believe that's a reasonable stance to take

How am I being contrary? There is a limit to being cautious. Athletes get injured when they are healthy in freak incidents. There's no reason to hold Gallardo back if he has passed whatever tests and expectations that are needed to deem him healthy. I don't think there's a person associated with the Brewers that has a playoff or bust mentality when it comes to Gallardo's knee. If you do, I think you should provide some evidence to support that.

but Channel 4 was also not saying, "brewerjamie" every other sentence. Nor was it saying, "brewerfan.net" every other sentence. It was an actual interview that was well done.

I totally understand the displeasure others have stated in having to read "Scott Bartell" as if he is as good a reporter as Peter Gammons. By post #295 or so, we all figured out the guy's name. You could have just said "Scott" or "Mr. Bartell." BIG turn off from what is trying to get it's name out there as a reputable source in the media.

100% agree here. I was excited at the breaking news, but at a certain point I believed it less and less every time I read "Scott Bartell". It did make me laugh though, as it reminded me of Norm Macdonald playing Bob Dole on SNL.

More on topic, I am really excited Yo's back. I'll be at the game waiving my towel like crazy when he takes the mound!

How am I being contrary?

I don't think there's a person associated with the Brewers that has a playoff or bust mentality when it comes to Gallardo's knee. If you do, I think you should provide some evidence to support that.

No one that's posted in this thread has the accused the Brewers of intenionally risking Yo's knee, in fact I pointed out I"m much more concerned with a secondary injury than I am him reinjuring his knee. Your takes on our comments are extremist and simply arguementative. A full recovery from an ACL surgery in less than 6 months is astounding... I don't care if you don't believe me, go look it up yourself, there's plenty of information out there. I said I was surprised and that I find myself concerned... that's all. If it was in his shoes I'd be exactly the same way, I had to be drug off the field/out of a game... I get it, believe me.

I said l'd rather err on the side of caution, that does not imply anything in regards to the Brewers. Others have mentioned the Brewers have obviously pulled out all of the stops as Sabathia is pitching every 4 days on short rest, which is also a reasonable observation and again doesn't infer that Yo is putting himself in harm's way. We don't know much anything except what Yo's said in the pregame yesterday, today, and the gents on Brewer's live have given us, which isn't much. All I know for sure is that if he's 100% this would be the quickest recovery I've ever heard of. That's it, I'm not hinting or inferring at any conspiracy, "wow" is all I can say, and with Sheets status unknown and Parra apparently shut down if Yo can pitch a good 3-5 innings tomorrow what more could we ask for? Well maybe a HR, because that's the only way he could top what he's already done...

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Typical around here. Nobody can post news without having a geeky jsonline URL for proof and it's one to two days of taking a flogging. Maybe there has been a backlash in the past or something that has them all gunshy. But thank you sir for providing some insight and trying your best to keep brewerfan.net ahead of the curve, whether it's appreciated by most or not.

Wow. Completely unnecessary. I thought it was fairly obvious that people were simply poking fun at someone for dropping "Scott Bartell" like he was the second coming of Woodward and Bernstein. I'm pretty sure no one here had any clue who this guy was/is (which is why dropping his name was kind of funny, IMO).

100% agree here. I was excited at the breaking news, but at a certain point I believed it less and less every time I read "Scott Bartell". It did make me laugh though, as it reminded me of Norm Macdonald playing Bob Dole on SNL.
Ha! Agreed.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

No one that's posted in this thread has the accused the Brewers of intenionally risking Yo's knee

How else should this be read?

It's not playoffs or bust for me personally, I'm more concerned with the longterm health of the franchise, which at this point in time includes the longterm health of Yo and Parra, like many of the other young players.

A full recovery from an ACL surgery in less than 6 months is astounding... I don't care if you don't believe me, go look it up yourself, there's plenty of information out there.

I don't get this comment at all. I've never expressed anything that said that Gallardo's recovery isn't astounding. I've expressed the opinion that people here don't have inside knowledge of Gallardo's recovery, and that any other knowledge they have doesn't pertain to Gallardo and his rehab.

kramnoj wrote:

How else should this be read?

I don't get this comment at all. I've never expressed anything that said that Gallardo's recovery isn't astounding. I've expressed the opinion that people here don't have inside knowledge of Gallardo's recovery, and that any other knowledge they have doesn't pertain to Gallardo and his rehab.

I already answered the first question in detail twice... you're simply "putting words in my mouth", how do you know my intent better than me?

As far as the second, what's not to get? I already said that none of us have any knowledge outside of what's been reported in the media. When you have experience with the setbacks that can occur during rehab it's always going to be in the back of your mind, like the last hurdle in a race... I would think opinions on this issue would vary with how much exposure people have had to the injury and/or rehab. In most cases it really doesn't have anything to do with the training staff, setbacks occur because the athlete is compensating for the knee and creating more stress to the body elsewhere... ankle, hip, etc... it's certainly not intentional on his/her part and is just part of the rehab process, both mental and physical.

If this was spring training I'm quite certain no one here would be concerned, however given that we're 4ish months removed from the surgery, there will be a difference of opinion based on time and perspective. If you don't understand why people would be concerned with Yo pitching tomorrow, I really don't know what else to say. All I do know is that expressing concern does not equal attacking the Brewers, which is how you spun it.

- Plato

- Plato

If you don't understand why people would be concerned with Yo pitching tomorrow, I really don't know what else to say.

This is what you think, that I don't understand people's concern? Are you actually reading what I have written? Look at my comment in 313: "As far as being less than thrilled, it is certainly understandable to have concern, but to be strongly opposed to something based on incomplete information is different. "

You have twice called me argumentative, and you are now completely misrepresenting what I have written.

I think one thing that is in play here is that we are used to second guessing baseball decisions. After all, baseball people are professional, but it's not like they have a license or went through years of complicated education to have the knowledge and positions they do. It becomes so second-nature to second-guess baseball decisions that people are using their personal experience and knowledge to question the judgment of medical professionals. We have people saying there was no way Gallardo could come back, that it would be a literal miracle, that it would be a medical marvel. We have one person so sure that they said they would seriously quit this board if Gallardo pitched in the 2008 season.

It's certainly reasonable to have doubt when seeing something that hasn't been seen before, and it's certainly reasonable to have concern about the Brewers #1 pitcher next year. I don't think anybody has expressed the opinion that Gallardo should be pitching if there was the remotest chance that he wasn't 100%. But a doctor has cleared him to play, and I think the opinion of a medical professional should have more weight than the anecdotal experience of the rest of us.

Archived