Brewer Fanatic

Any chance of Gallardo in September or October? -- Latest: Yo will start this Thursday according to BCR (reply #234ish)

panama74
Hopefully Bush can save our pen today and Yo can combine with some other arms Thursday. Give CC the ball Wednesday for a short start (5/6 innings) which leaves him as the best option on Sunday if necessary. Yo/Newhouse/Difelice could do well on Thursday. I really hope this doesn't end like last season.

I don't like that scenario. Planning on a short start for CC (on short rest) followed by another short start likely from Yo could be disasterous. They'd be better off with Yo on Wednesday and CC with full rest on Thursday. That should give the pen a full day of rest heading into Cub series where it's like the pen will be needed. Granted that takes CC out of commission for a Sunday start, but the Cubs are a righthand dominant team that he hasn't fared well against. Sticking CC in there off back to back to back short rests and he's likely to be shelled. I'd rather start Bush on Sunday vs. the Cubs where he's going to face the hittable Sean Marshall or Jason Marquis. You could still use CC (on 2 days rest) for an inning or two in relief if needed, but you very well might need CC to face Mets. Mets are more vulnerable to lefthanders than righthanders.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah I'm in agreement that lining up these short-rest starts in a row is a recipe for disaster. It looks like we will be facing Lilly, Marquis, and Marshall over the weekend, which is definitely an advantage for us. Hopefully we can get some good serviceable innings from some righthanders.

I'm just worried that this site is going to be super negative if the Brewers don't get in. If they do get in, this site will be flooding with positive thoughts -- and I look forward to it.

Maybe this should be in the Silver Lining thread, but I fully agree, JJ7. If the team can't get to the promised land, I sincerely hope that Brewers fans can keep things in perspective. I hope frustration that the team didn't fulfil both its & the fans' main goal doesn't cloud the fact that this has been the best season Brewers fans have had to enjoy in 15 seasons.

Getting Gallardo back will go a long way in this short stretch to crossing that hallowed threshold. I can't say that I'm one for getting Yovani out there for a starting appearance. At this point, I hope he has been able to adapt himself to the different process of getting ready to come into a game on a reliever's timeclock. If not, then I'd guess a 3 or 4 inning start would have to be the way to go.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't see a 3-4 inning stint... he's not hitting at all. If he's not hitting, that leads me to believe that his lateral stability (rotation) in the knee isn't that good yet. Again, if he's not moving well laterally I'm not sure why every opposing player wouldn't just try to bunt off of him and make him go right and left to field the ball. I have no doubt that after 4 months his knee is healthy enough to pitch, it's the rest of it that worries me.

edit. According to Yo on the pregame tonight he was working on fielding bunts and covering 1B down in AZ everyday. I'm shocked that he's good enough to pitch this quick, and I'm hesitant to see him used based on my experience, but the Brewers sure could use a boost...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I was off by one day.

They need extra arms. Bush is gassed - he's well over 50 pitches and not even out of the 2nd. They will go deep into the bullpen today and then CC on short rest tomorrow, so chances are they will need several bullpen arms tomorrow also.

At this point, they probably feel they need Gallardo's pitching too much to worry about being a negative value with a bat or on the bases. If he does start, they could just tell him to go up and stand at the plate and not swing. It will probably only be 2 or 3 PA anyway.

I'm all for Yovani starting if they feel he can go at least 75 pitches. But how can he start if he has yet to swing a bat or run bases?
I think it may be worth noting that really the only place this has been said is Jim Powell, Trenni, etc. I'm not sure I ever saw this directly from Gord Ash or Doug Melvin. Maybe it has, but I don't think so. Even if they did say it, the point is, who really knows. They tried to keep a potential return somewhat under wraps for a while as Ash explained. Heck, a week ago Ben Sheets had forearm tightness, that later tured into an elbow that had been sore for weeks. Hard to put much stock in anything we hear. I guess we'll find out the truth if/when he steps into the batters box this week.

I was going to post this in the rotation thread, but I had been thinking all day that the scenarios would be this:

A) Gallardo is activated and starts, but only goes until it is his turn to bat (max 3 innings). Since they are the home team he could pitch three innings before coming up. If he ends up coming up in the bottom of the first and gets pinch hit for it would not be a bad thing - that would mean they have scored at least three runs by the time he bats.

B) If they do let him bat he will be under strict instructions not to "run" anything out (key being "run" - a light jog to first), probably bunt but do not run to first.

I think scenario A is more likely, especially that he is unlikely to throw more than 75 pitches anyway. Like I said in the other thread, I think it gets coupled with the release of Lamb or Dillon and then purchasing the contract of Narron or Bateman and they piggy-back the start with Gallardo. Gallardo-Narron/Bateman-DiFelice should be able to get you to at least the 7th inning.

Between Suppan/Sheets/Yo/McClung, it hurts my head to try and guess what Svuem does. I think it's just going to be a big pile of 2-3 innings appearances for most of those guys, which is fine by me. You have the extra arms, take advantage of being able to keep them fresh and being able to pinch hit for your pitcher in the 4th.

Archived