Brewer Fanatic

Any chance of Gallardo in September or October? -- Latest: Yo will start this Thursday according to BCR (reply #234ish)

panama74

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been pounding this question into TH's and Witrado's useless mailboxes... always wording it more pointedly to try to get them to say something different from the "company line" of: he's gone for the year.

The day after his surgery, Yo said he'd be back in September. Sure, Yo is neither a surgeon nor a physical therapist - but the number 1 thing that can accelerate a recovery is a positive mindset. And that is not just kooky eastern medicine or robin-williams-as-clown-doctor-movie talk.

i am always curious to know how Yo's spirits are / is he traveling with the team / enjoying & building the camaraderie / what stage of the rehab he is in... but it feels like there is a gag order given from above on this one. the ace lingering in the hole.

personally, i fully expect to see him for the NLCS (2 inning bullpen guy?) - and only partially because i am delusional.

I'm pretty sure I've seen him in the dugout a few times during broadcasts within the last couple weeks. Not sure whether just in Milwaukee or on the road. From personal experience I would say a September return is certainly not inconceivable assuming no complications and given that he is a very young and fit. Healthy knees are critical to pitching success but it's not like he's a cornerback, wide receiver or tailback. More like a QB with a very good line.

Last Brian said anything he said Yo has changed his tune from expecting to be back in September to hoping to maybe be back. If he gets any time in Winter ball it would be a good thing but he could easily not pitch again until spring.

Personally I hope not. October 1st would be 5 months to the day of teh injury. In my completely unprofessional medical opinion, that's too soon. Take the extra time, avoid any unnecessary risks and come back strong prepared to be the guy at the top of the rotation once Sheets is gone next year.

Either way, he won't be needed.

Doesn't mean he couldn't be of help.

He is quite unlikely to be pitching again this season. I wouldn't mind his bat as a PH in the playoffs though... and only half kidding.

If we make the playoffs, that implies:

A) We traded for another arm

or

B) The current starters did their job down the stretch

Either way, he won't be needed.

That's like saying you have a million dollars so you won't need another $100K. More always helps.

Community Moderator

Of course he could help, but I feel like rushing him back would be too big of a risk if we make the playoffs without him.

I don't see how Gallardo's bat is more useful than anything we have right now. If it comes down to TGJ and Yo for the last spot on the playoff roster, then I would go with Gallardo.

His knee would be physically strong enough for full speed straight line movements by the end of the Sept, but not lateral movements. While every athlete heals at their own pace, I've never seen someone with an ACL get back on the field and be productive in less that 10 months.

A 5 month recovery time for a blown ACL would be the fastest I've ever heard of and I would term it as a medical marvel.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Personally I hope not. October 1st would be 5 months to the day of teh injury. In my completely unprofessional medical opinion, that's too soon. Take the extra time, avoid any unnecessary risks and come back strong prepared to be the guy at the top of the rotation once Sheets is gone next year.

An ACL replacement isn't like a rotator cuff or something like that... The instant you have your ACL replaced, the only thing that's keeping you out of action are your range of motion and your tolerance of pain.

Now, I'm not saying he needed to be carted out of the operating room and onto the mound, but he's not going to wreck something else as a result of coming back too soon (except perhaps his career ERA)

Now, I'm not saying he needed to be carted out of the operating room and onto the mound, but he's not going to wreck something else as a result of coming back too soon (except perhaps his career ERA)

I strongly disagree. he might not reinjure the knee per say, but if its not 100% and he favors it in any way , or it has some impact on his motion/mechanics (due to pain or range of motion), no matter how slight, he very well could wreck something else - like a shoulder or his elbow. If he were playing basketball, or even playing a position, I wouldn't have as much issue with it, but pitching? No sale. Too many moving parts, and even though they seem far away, they're all related.

Naivin makes a good point, I've see it happen many times... start favoring an ankle or a knee on one side, and you get a knee or hip problem on the other side as well. If he's not confident in the knee, he'll only do more harm than good... if he starts compensating for a lack of strength in the knee, there's no telling what issues he might bring upon himself. I'd rather be conservative with him at this point.

On a side note, is Yo in Milwaukee rehabbing or Arizona? I swear I saw him at the Mac N Dons just south of the park on Miller Parkway around 2PM on Saturday before the game. If it wasn't him, it could have been a twin... my father and I were debating if it was him when he was walking in (didn't see his ride) and when he came in the manager immediately came out and took his order for him special, he didn't wait in line. His buddy talked on his Blackberry the whole time, and I didn't recognize him, he was a fairly built late teen early 20s Hispanic young man. I would have thought he'd be in Arizona so I was initially unwilling to accept it was him, but now I'm regretting not asking.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the status of Yo is? With us in the wildcard lead and having CC on the team, the playoffs are beginning to look like more of a reality. Does anyone know if there is any possibility that Yo could be ready to play by September?

EDIT: Please make thread titles descriptive and informative - b19

Not a chance. By October it would only be ~ 5 months since he was injured. While it would be great if he were able to pitch down the stretch and/or in the playoffs, it just isn't gonna happen.

Everyone needs to get the idea of Gallardo pitching this season out of your head. It's not going to happen. Even if he's "ready", he wouldn't have nearly enough arm strength and would be risking further injury by coming back so soon.

With us in the wildcard lead and having CC on the team, the playoffs are beginning to look like more of a reality.

It's early July....there's nothing close to "real" about it right now.

They certainly look more of a reality now than they did before we got CC though. He didn't say it was a sure thing or anything.

Everyone needs to get the idea of Gallardo pitching this season out of your head. It's not going to happen. Even if he's "ready", he wouldn't have nearly enough arm strength and would be risking further injury by coming back so soon.

Unless someone is involved in Gallardo's rehab, I don't think we know anything. It's certainly unlikely, but I don't know that there is enough info to say it's not going to happen. If anything held him back, I don't think it would be his arm strength. He can work on that as much as he wants, and if he came back it would presumably only be a limited appearance reliever. There certainly isn't any reason for us to count on Yo being back this year, but I don't see enough to count it completely out either.

Archived