Brewer Fanatic

What could next year's starting rotation look like?

badgerpat

Suppan is a number 4 or 5 starter

I don't really think you can make a case that Suppan is a #5 starter on the Brewers. You can say that he would be a good #5 starter for a team that expects to make the playoffs. But for baseball in general Suppan is right at the margins of a 3/4 and he has been a 3 for most of his career.

The Brewers don't have anyone in their system that would push Suppan out of a starting job, and I doubt they would be able to get his production cheaper in the FA market. He signed a market value contract and the Brewers are a better team with Suppan on it.

Free Agent Starting pitchers

John Lackey (30) - $9MM club option for '09 with a $0.5MM buyout

Lackey is the one name that looks interesting to me, but at this point, I can't see the Angels declining that option.

I'm not intrigued by any of those free agent pitchers, I still think trading Prince gets the most value back to plug holes this off season. If that doesn't happen I'm fine riding out next year with what we got.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

My guess is

1) Yo

2) Soup

3) Parra

4) Either Bush, McClung or Villy, whomever pitches better down the stretch

5) Some DM unknown scrapheap FA

It's a big bet on Yo being able to fill some big shoes in Sheets. I really believe Parra will develop into a solid 2/3. I don't get the Suppan hate - the guy is right on if not better than his career averages - he got the market price and has equaled expectations. He's a better #3/4 than #2. If Doug doesn't sign Sheets, he'll have to make some move.

I'd take a look at David Welch. He's 8-1 this year for Huntsville with a 3.34 ERA. He also threw a no hitter this year in one of his games. His strikeout totals aren't as high as you would like, but he's 24 and there's room for improvement. I think Steve Hammond will at least start the year in Spring Training as well as a starter and be one of our top options in AAA.

Also, Prince could be traded for top notch pitching so there are options.

My guess is

1) Yo

2) Soup

3) Parra

4) Either Bush, McClung or Villy, whomever pitches better down the stretch

5) Some DM unknown scrapheap FA

That does not excite me. Replace "Some DM unknown scrapheap FA" with a guy named Sheets and I could get excited. I know that's not the premise of the thread. But, that rotation without Sheets, but instead some guy off of a scrapheap is going to be a very risky proposition at best. It's arguably worse than this year's rotation, and I'm not all that comfortable with this year's after Sheets.

Dillard maybe, but Jackson... he's simply not a good a player, he's been borderline horrible in both the rotation and the pen.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Without Sheets our rotation will look like this next season; Gallardo, Suppan, Parra, Bush, McClung. That is a terrible rotation. Gallardo is a potential one or two and Parra could be a solid 3 but the other guys are all 4s and 5s. I guess we can always pay Suppan money for Derek Lowe or Oliver Perez but why should we spend big money for average production. Just pay whatever it takes for Sheets unless we want to be mediocre for the next few years.

Cheez, quit ragging about Inman already. At least they did something and took a shot. Inman has yet to pitch in the bigs. Yo, Parra, Mcclung, Bush, and a free agent will start the season. Bet we see Jeffress before the end of O9.....

Get use to this some believe Inman is 2ns coming of Greg Maddux and is already booked for success.

1. Yo

2. Blanton

3.Suppan

4. Parra

5. McCLung

First, despite his injury, Capuano is arby eligible and I don't expect the Brewers to offer him because they can't cut his salary enough to offset the risk.

It's very likely that the Brewers will deal for another starter either in July or in the offseason. Some starters who are available are signed for 09 like a Washburn for instance.

Now which FA would interest Melvin? We know that Melvin values durability because the big FA pitcher he signed was Suppan, who's biggest attribute was durability.

So who are the most durable starters available in FA? Two stand out, Garland and Lowe. Garland is a southern California native and less likely to want out of there. He's also around the same age as Sheets so he'll want more in years and total dollars than Lowe.

One final thought. Who starts 09 in the rotation might not be as important as who finishes in the rotation. If no FA are signed and no big money guys traded for, Melvin will have all kinds of flexibility to get a starter in midseason 09.

One final thought. Who starts 09 in the rotation might not be as important as who finishes in the rotation. If no FA are signed and no big money guys traded for, Melvin will have all kinds of flexibility to get a starter in midseason 09.
That's a good point because maybe the offers won't be good enough in the offseason. We are in no rush to trade anyone on the roster at this point so this would give us time to get the best deal.

eanelson4 wrote:

And donmoney - I don't agree with trading Salome. If he continues to develop and hit like he has been at the major league level, he could be a huge asset. This team will have some serious bats at almost every position, except for catcher. There are no clear solutions there, and I would like to have a catcher who can swing the stick for once.

Salome seems to be the logical choice of the "big four" in Huntsville. Yes, catchers that can hit are a commodity. However, we do have Lucroy in high A and we just drafted Laurie. Besides, Kendall has done magic with some stiffs on our pitching staff, and that has been his m.o. is his past. The other 3 of the "big four" I woud rather see play for the Brewers because we don't have the depth at those postions; 3B Gamel, OF LaPorta, and SS Escabar. So, if we need to trade a prospect with a high value (considering the demand for catchers), he would be my choice.

Archived