Brewer Fanatic

Sheets Value?

I don't care what his value is... you don't trade your best pitcher when you are in a pennant race.

That does not answer the question so why post anything at all? This IS the Trade Rumors section. I would say Sheets is worth two top prospects and two nice lower level prospects.

maybe something along these lines...

sheets/hall to lad

kershaw/broxton/laroche to mil

maybe we could even get them to throw in andruw jones.

You're dreaming. The dodgers wouldn't deal Kershaw for Sheets straight up. And yes, I realize Sheets' value. Kershaw is probably the only young pitcher who would make a team think twice. (Maybe Joba/Kazmir)

I don't care what his value is... you don't trade your best pitcher when you are in a pennant race.

That does not answer the question so why post anything at all? This IS the Trade Rumors section. I would say Sheets is worth two top prospects and two nice lower level prospects.

but was just wondering if it would be better to trade him or take the picks?

Does my post not answer this question?

Its hard not to trade him, considering that he would bring back so much more then you could get with 2 picks. If you can get one major league ready starter who is at, the very minimum, a number 2, plus a top notch pitching prospect at or above AA, I say go for it.. You could probably get another prospect too, maybe an infielder. Considering you can get more for a pitcher at the deadline, and considering what we gave up to get Linebrink last year, we could get quite the haul for him. If we are not in the chase, just imagine what we could get for Sheets, plus some of those bullpen arms like Torres and maybe even Gagne or Mota.

The Sheets Trade Talk is going to blossom in the next couple of weeks if the Brewers don't have another hot streak. I would love a deal involving Tommy Hanson in the Braves system. I would watch for the Angels to make an offer as well. They'll probably dangle Jordan Walden but I am not sure LA has the arms to make it worthwhile.

We would only make a prospect-type deal to get pitching. But, say the Braves make a run in that crowded division and we could pry Heyward away from them.

Another that may make itself evident is Philadelphia. Sheets for Carrasco, Savery, and Golson? Maybe a little much, but that would make it worthwhile for me.

My name is SheetsKOut. I obviously have an attachment to Ben Sheets and I think an effort should be made to keep him. He is one of my favorites ever to watch and I have never even acknowledged a Ben Sheets Bandwagon. The worst thing that could happen, though, is losing him and getting nothing back.

The Sheets Trade Talk is going to blossom in the next couple of weeks if the Brewers don't have another hot streak. I would love a deal involving Tommy Hanson in the Braves system. I would watch for the Angels to make an offer as well. They'll probably dangle Jordan Walden but I am not sure LA has the arms to make it worthwhile.

We would only make a prospect-type deal to get pitching. But, say the Braves make a run in that crowded division and we could pry Heyward away from them.

Another that may make itself evident is Philadelphia. Sheets for Carrasco, Savery, and Golson? Maybe a little much, but that would make it worthwhile for me.

My name is SheetsKOut. I obviously have an attachment to Ben Sheets and I think an effort should be made to keep him. He is one of my favorites ever to watch and I have never even acknowledged a Ben Sheets Bandwagon. The worst thing that could happen, though, is losing him and getting nothing back.

You realize the Brewers are two games out of the wild-card right? It would take more than a non-hot streak to get the Brewers to think they are out of it. The Brewers are only a half game more out of first than the Braves, so why would we be selling and they be buying? The Angels have a ton of pitching I dont think that is a likely destination. They have Ervin Santana, Lackey, Weaver, Garland, Saunders, and Kelvim Escobar is coming back (but will be in the bullpen because they are so stacked). The Phillies are the team that makes sense, but again I dont see the Brewers trading sheets unless the next month is terrible

my fear is that the Brewers are going to hang in there just enough to be considered in the race but not far enough out where they can sell trading Sheets. They will end up a couple games out of the wild card and Sheets moves on and we get two picks. The picks are nice but I think you would have better odds on picking up guys that have proven alittle something in pro ball that you would receive via a trade.

jjfanec wrote:You realize the Brewers are two games out of the wild-card right? It would take more than a non-hot streak to get the Brewers to think they are out of it. The Brewers are only a half game more out of first than the Braves, so why would we be selling and they be buying? The Angels have a ton of pitching I dont think that is a likely destination. They have Ervin Santana, Lackey, Weaver, Garland, Saunders, and Kelvim Escobar is coming back (but will be in the bullpen because they are so stacked). The Phillies are the team that makes sense, but again I dont see the Brewers trading sheets unless the next month is terrible

The Braves would be more like a trade and sign extended scenario. Look for Tampa too....I think they would rent Sheets for the final two months to make a run, with no back end commitment. Most of the Rays arms aren't quite major league ready, but they have a stockpile of them in Price, Hellickson, Davis, McGee, Niemann, etc. Although I don't think they will allow Price to be dealt for anyone, I think a package like McGee, Davis and Jennings would be enough.

I do realize that Brewers are only two games out of the wildcard, but like I said they will need another hot streak to get far enough into contention NOT to deal Sheets. I don't think Melvin will just allow him to walk for the compensation picks.

Another team to look for could be Oakland. Beane could also rent Sheets for the rest of the season with no future committment and prospects that aren't ready to assist (Cahill, Anderson).

The White Sox would be a fit in the standings to make an offer, but they system is depleted.

You're not going to get much more than 2 good prospects for 2 months of Sheets. Comp picks are probably at least 75% of what you'll get anyway, and you don't need to answer questions about why you traded him. Seems apparent.

I do realize that Brewers are only two games out of the wildcard, but like I said they will need another hot streak to get far enough into contention NOT to deal Sheets. I don't think Melvin will just allow him to walk for the compensation picks.

I guess I do not get why they need a hot streak. Two games out of the WC and 4.5 out of the Central is fairly far in contention. Are you saying the only way Melvin wont deal Sheets is if they are in the lead in either the WC or division? Two high end comp picks like we got for Cordero netted us Ordozzi and Lintz. That is pretty nice value especially when you add 2 more months of Sheets with it.

jjfanec wrote:

I guess I do not get why they need a hot streak. Two games out of the WC and 4.5 out of the Central is fairly far in contention. Are you saying the only way Melvin wont deal Sheets is if they are in the lead in either the WC or division? Two high end comp picks like we got for Cordero netted us Ordozzi and Lintz. That is pretty nice value especially when you add 2 more months of Sheets with it.

I am saying exactly that. The Brewers will have to lead in at least the Wild Card by July 31st to make a run and NOT deal Sheets. Basically, we need to get hot once more and leap over the Cards.

Compensation picks are not enough by themselves. We need at least some known value in return for Sheets should we not be in a position to make a run with him. All of this assumes we don't go out and trade a higher level prospect for a stud (a la Sabathia) of course.

I am saying exactly that. The Brewers will have to lead in at least the Wild Card by July 31st to make a run and NOT deal Sheets. Basically, we need to get hot once more and leap over the Cards.

So, if the Brewers are a game back of the Cardinals for the Wild Card lead on July 31, there's no way they can't overcome that deficit in the 55 or so games remaining?

Compensation picks are not enough by themselves. We need at least some known value in return for Sheets should we not be in a position to make a run with him. All of this assumes we don't go out and trade a higher level prospect for a stud (a la Sabathia) of course.

That seems pretty arbitrary to me. Why should there really difference between being one game down and one game up? To me the only way Melvin thinks about trading Sheets is if we are 5 or more games out and there are numerous teams between us and the WC. Even if we are about 5 games out Melvin would more than likely only deal Sheets for parts that are still going to help him compete ala the Carlos Lee deal. Melvin wouldn't concede being out of the playoffs that year. Also with the runs teams have made the last couple years to get in the playoffs like the Cubs, Rockies and Phillies I think saying you are too far out of it at a game out of the WC is kind of strange.

Archived