Brewer Fanatic

Sheets testing the market

markedman5

He doesn't want to sign an extension.

He will go to free agency (like every pitcher does when they get this close)and see what he is worth on the open market.

Enjoy him while you can because the only way he resigns with the Brew Crew is if we outbid a few big market teams.

He may give us a small home town discount but not until he sees what the market is.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't Benny sign for less than what he could have received last time? Prince I see being out of reach (mostly due to the Boras factor) but as we have seen with Braun, it doesn't always come down to the allmighty dollar with every player.

He doesn't want to sign an extension.

He will go to free agency (like every pitcher does when they get this close)and see what he is worth on the open market.

Enjoy him while you can because the only way he resigns with the Brew Crew is if we outbid a few big market teams.

He may give us a small home town discount but not until he sees what the market is.

I know this thread isn't about signing Sheets, but I couldn't let this go. He doesn't want to sign an extension? How do you know this? Every pitcher does not go to free agency. Many do, but several have signed below-market value extensions as they approach free agency. Sheets did it once already, in fact.

As far as the game, Sheets is one of three or four guys who is in the running. There are still a few starts before the game, so the numbers will change a bit.

He doesn't want to sign an extension? How do you know this?

I believe that Attanasio himself has said a few times that Sheets wants to test the FA market and I know that Powell just said something along the same lines in yesterdays post-game show. I'll look around when I get a chance and see if I can find anything in print.

I believe that Attanasio himself has said a few times that Sheets wants to test the FA market and I know that Powell just said something along the same lines in yesterdays post-game show. I'll look around when I get a chance and see if I can find anything in print.

Correct. Attanasio mentioned early in the season (or maybe it was in spring training) that he "expected Sheets to test the free agent market". There's a quote out there from the owner, exactly stated to that effect.Yet people keep nagging on the Brewers to sign him. It's just not reality that they can do it at this point.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

areacodes wrote:

That does sound familiar, but I'm not sure it means anything. Attanasio wouldn't have said in spring that they'd try to lock up Sheets because they hadn't seen him pitch yet this season. There were some questions as to whether Sheets would be healthy and/or declining some. My feeling all along has been the Brewers should wait a couple months to see if he's healthy and still good, and then make him an offer around the All-Star break.

(split post when the thread was split --1992)

boy, that doesn't sound too encouraging, knowing Ben's demeanor with the media at times. I hope I'm wrong.

I don't have a problem with not approaching him until the off-season, but you know the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers will likely throw out some flamboyantly extravagant contract out there for him and there's no way the Brewers can even come close to matching it.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I think Sheets is just stating the obvious. We all knew he was going to test the market.

I do hope he remembers all the time he missed and shows some sense of loyalty and obligation when it comes time to negotiate.

But will they spend it elsewhere and what can they spend it on. If they lose Sheets, they need an ace. Look how much it cost to get Suppan. Not very optimistic that they get something that can replace him.......unless Fielder is as good as gone and they trade him for pitching.

This is an entirely different situation than CoCo

closers are decently easy to find, look at what we have had in the past. Wickman, Leskanic, Kolb, Turnbow

But true aces are rare. Yo hasn't really proved much yet. Sheets gives us almost an automatic win.

This is a major non-story. There was no reason for the Brewers to offer him a big new contract prior to the season, and now there is no reason for Sheets to sign a new deal without seeing what's out there.

It's basically a no-win situation, if he makes 20-25 starts again, there's no way you pay big to keep him, and if he finishes with a great season, he's likely priced right out of Milwaukee. The best thing to do as a fan, is to hope he stays hot, and let the front office worry about what happens in November.

He hasn't said he wouldn't re-sign here, and the team hasn't said they wouldn't try to keep him once the season is over, anything is still possible, but if Ben wants top dollar, that will likely come from somewhere else.

Sheets to test market

Just read this. This upsets me quite a bit. I know he has had injury problems, but even with Gallardo back our rotation is not playoff calliber without him. They need to find a way to keep hib, but someone will throw a lot of money at him.

I don't see how it could. Management said they didn't want to negotiate before or during the season either.

I don't think Ben owes the Brewers anything or has an obligation to accept a lesser deal just because he got hurt the past few years. It'd be nice if the Brewers got to keep him, but he has the right to test the open market for the first time in his career. If he chooses to go somewhere else, no hard feelings. I have confidence that guys like Gallardo and Parra will step up in his absence.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Community Moderator

This isn't a surprise at all. The Brewers didn't want to extend his contract, and based on his past seasons, it would have been a bad idea to give him another $50 million in March.

However...considering that he has been an injury threat in the past...I wonder what he would do if Melvin threw $100 million at him in the next month or two.

Edit--Disclaimer: I am not advocating spending $100 million on Sheets, I just think that is the minimum that he will make in a FA contract, especially if he wins 20 games.

Just because mangement said that they didnt want to negotiate before or during the season doesnt mean it shouldn't be upsetting. With Sheets performance I was hopeful that may have changed. I too have faith in Parra and Gallardo, but both of them are better with Sheets (or someone similar) at the top. There is no one close in the minors and honestly I would like someone with some experience at the top of the rotation.

I honestly feel that we are very close, maybe we make it this year maybe we dont. But either way I want to have a chance for a few years. Sheets (when healthy) has always been a stabalizing force in our rotation. I am just not sure how, or if, the Brewers will replace that.

Then again maybe Sheets decides to stay anyway....who knows.

the saddest part of all is what will happen to the Admirals.

part of the sales pitch to bring him back involves an imaginary look into the future hanging of the #15 from the rafters... or, a painting of the number on some concrete as the case may be in Milwaukee. Right next to the 2008 World Series Championship pseudo-banner of course.

Archived