Brewer Fanatic

Who goes when Gagne/Choate come back from the DL?

As far as I know Choate has no options so if he is not on the big club he becomes a free agent? I don't know if they would want him over Stetter as a 2nd lefty to Shouse or not. As for Gagne, I would assume it will be DiFelice or Dillon.

I believe Choate signed a split contract. If I understand that correctly, it means that the Brewers can keep him in the minors now, but if he gets called up to the majors, he will need to stay up or clear waivers if sent down. I'm sure someone will correct me if I got that wrong.

The broadcast team said that Gagne will be activated tomorrow. Unlike when Riske returned, they refrained from speculation about who will be sent down (Melvin burned them last time by DFAing Tavarez after they'd run a brief segment on the pre-game show stating that DiFelice would be sent down and "Boy, isn't it a feel-good story Mark DiFelice got to have a cup of coffee in the bigs?").

I think Gagne's activation is a shame. I can't think of anyone one in the pen I would prefer Gagne to. Maybe Mota?

There's no reason they shouldn't have simply let him rot in AAA until he proved he could at least get AAA hitters out, even if that meant he stayed down there the rest of the season.

There's no reason they shouldn't have simply let him rot in AAA until he proved he could at least get AAA hitters out, even if that meant he stayed down there the rest of the season.

Is that true? I thought that a team couldn't make a player stay on the DL if they felt healthy. And if Gagne isn't on the DL, they can't keep him in AAA.

Is that true? I thought that a team couldn't make a player stay on the DL if they felt healthy. And if Gagne isn't on the DL, they can't keep him in AAA.

I'm dumb -- you're right (mostly). Both ESPN and the transactions FAQ here agree that rehab stints in the minors can last a maximum of 30 days (20 if you're not a pitcher). So it was certainly dumb of me to suggest "letting him rot down there all season".

Of course, Gagne's rehab stint lasted 3 days (unless the clock was already running before his first AAA appearance). By my count, that leaves 27 more days they could have let him rot down there if he continued to stink. And really, if he hasn't gotten it together by the end of that month, why not just release him at that point?

(Aside -- I'm not anywhere near as objective on Gagne as I usually am. I don't guess that I really even feel like trying to be. I hate him. I always have.)

Of course, Gagne's rehab stint lasted 3 days (unless the clock was already running before his first AAA appearance). By my count, that leaves 27 more days they could have let him rot down there if he continued to stink. And really, if he hasn't gotten it together by the end of that month, why not just release him at that point?

The other point here is that the player has to agree with the rehab assignment. I think it's fairly clear that Gagne wouldn't allow himself to stay down longer. If he feels he's ready and the team keeps him there, Gagne probably has the union appeal. I don't know what actual penalties the team would face, but it's probably something they just want to avoid.

Archived