Brewer Fanatic

Who goes when Gagne/Choate come back from the DL?

Thursday is the last day off before the All-Star game so if the bullpen gets taxed over the next few days, it's possible that they'll go with a 13-man staff again and Joe Dillon will be sent back to AAA. If not Dillon, DiFelice certainly hasn't done anything to be demoted so it would have to be Stetter.

I'd have to say Stetter or DiFelice. DiFelice hasn't done much to deserve a demotion, but they may prefer to keep a 2nd lefty.

Either way, if Gagne doesn't pitch well, I have to think his spot is on thin ice. That $10 million is spent anyway, so if he can't get it together there is no reason to throw away the season on top of the $10 million. I wouldn't be shocked to see him traded or even cut by the end of July if he can't improve on his 7 ERA.

Community Moderator

That Rivera comment is interesting.

He has only 37 ABs. He is almost never used, not even for pinch hitting. He's our new Enrique Cruz. You could definitely argue that he is a waste of a roster spot.

Why does Gagne have to come back? Is he really going to make this team better?

I hate to hijack this thread a bit, but I heard a great joke today at work, and this seems as good as any place to share it.

Q: What's French for "Turnbow"?

A: "Gagne"

I wonder what the record is for fewest ABs by a non-Rule 5 position player who stayed on the roster for the entire season? Whatever it is, Rivera is hopefully going to come close to it.

Some of the bonus babies in the 1950s would qualify, though I think you could say those were similar to Rule 5 cases. Years back there were a couple of third string catchers who were on the roster the entire season but never played. Ralph Houk of the 1950s Yankees had some years where he was on the team but didn't play very much.

For the Brewers the lowest I remember would be Roy Fosse in 1979 and Rob Picciolo in 1982-83.

DiFelice will be sent down. As decent as he's been, he lacks an out pitch vs. lefthanded hitters who are hitting .421/.421/1.053 against him. Stetter had 2 bad outings over a month ago. He's fanned 18 in 12 2/3 innings. He's very valuable as 2nd lefty.

I really think going with 13 P for the 17 games in 17 days stretch might be a decent idea, even if it means Dillon is optioned to Triple-A. It's too bad Cameron has been dinged up lately, otherwise sending Kapler to Nashville probably makes more sense than sending Dillon down. [insert Bill Hall to Triple-A joke here]
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Kapler to AAA over Dillon? Really? Even if Cameron is perfectly healthy, Kapler is much more valuable, and productive, than Dillon. I just hope Gagne trips on his way off the plane and has to go back on the DL. This way no one gets sent down.

I hate to say it, but I think DiFelice will be the odd man out. I've never been a big Stetter fan, but he definately has some appeal as he's back again... 2nd lefty, all that stuff.

Pena has all of his numbers back down in respectable territory after a shakey start, I wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot, in fact I'd rather see him than Gagne.

Brian's joke got me good, I wasn't expecting that at all (though in hindsight it was so obvious) and now I have to dig pineapple out of my wireless keyboard.... lame.

Ryan and Aguilar aren't far behind at AA, though both have had their ups and downs in the last month. I really like our in house bullpen options going forward, for the first time I remember the farm system has legit hitting, starting pitching, and relief pitching prospects. A winning team and a deep farm system, it's a good time to be a Brewer fan.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Kapler to AAA over Dillon? Really? Even if Cameron is perfectly healthy, Kapler is much more valuable, and productive, than Dillon.

I won't hijack any more than to say that we strongly disagree. Especially with the 'productive' part. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Wow, that's comedic gold on so many levels. No, I meant "we" -- TLB & yount19. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I wish I were cool enough/of royal bloodline-iness enough to use the royal "we"... but we just don't think that's the case. We are certain our quality is not high enough.

Just out of curiosity what are Gagne's stats vs left handed hitters?

At least Deflice can get righties out.

Did anyone notice that the team started to play well as soon as Gagne went on the DL?

I'm sure its just a coincidence...........................................

Archived