Brewer Fanatic

Brett Lawrie -- Latest: SIGNED! (reply #41)

They said in the JS that Lawrie won't play pro ball this season, which is a shame, but I guess that's to be expected after playing for the Canadian National Team. I was hoping he'd at least get some time in the AFL, though perhaps that league is too advanced for a guy right out of HS.
He'll be playing against AAA and MLB players in the Olympics. While I wouldn't expect him to mash in that league, I don't think it would be asking too much of him to be able to hold his own at that level, given what he's already accomplished.

Yeah, I think this is a really great experience for him. He should really get some perspective on the talent. He's only 18!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Every time I see a picture of his sister I have to resist the urge to make a typical male comment. Good luck to the family in Bejing, and here's hoping Brett tears it up.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I think this is exciting, I don't really know a lot about Lawrie and I never really watch the Olympics, but I am definitely going to tune in to see him play. I love getting a look at draft picks as soon as possible. I like picking out players and following them through the Link Report. It gets me excited to see people excel and I'm hoping Lawrie will be a new favorite.

Man, the first crack of the bat in that youtube video is just THWACK. Solid
I was going to say the exact same thing. That is one of the sweetest sounds to my ears when it comes to baseball...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I am excited about Lawrie. Hopefully he can settle in a position (c, 2nd, or 3rd) and continue to hit up to his potential. The positions he players are either really important positions or positions we need good prospects at. I think he has a bright future.

Does anyone else think Lawrie is going to be an absolute stud and be in the majors for a cup of coffee by the end of 2010? or am O being overly optimistic.

I would say that's overly optimistic.

I think it depends on entirely on his defensive position... If he hits well in the Olympics... well that's probably comparable to an AA/AAA mix. I realize it would be a small sample, but it will be telling if he does. For the sake of argument lets assume that he hits... that mean's his bat is already as advanced as AA, as an 18 year old kid. I don't want to get carried away, but if you look at guys that were that advanced at the same age, it's a pretty special list. If he can hit AA, then basically the only thing holding him back would be defense. If he's a catcher I think 2012 is optomistic for his arrival, if he plays any other position such as 3B or 2B (I'm not sure he's fast enough to play CF) then I think he would have a decent chance to arrive by mid 2010 as Braun did...

If he doesn't hit... well so what? He'll be better off for the experience and while I wouldn't expect him to move as fast, I'd still expect him to spend 3ish years in the minors... 1st season split between the A ball teams, 2nd at AA, 3rd at AAA probably with a call up. Obviously injuries and such could derail that timeline, but I feel he's a pretty special hitter and I honestly expect him to fly through the minors. Z compared him athletically to Braun, which says quite a bit. Braun is a superb athlete, I'm still surprised at how poorly he moved at 3B when runs rather gracefully (very smooth).

I really hope the Brewers move to Appleton, what a great first half it would be prospect wise there next season, especially if Lawrie starts there.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

"I'd love Lawrie at C or 3rd. The organization is probably going to lose a catcher or a 3rd baseman to the Indians. I'd put him at the position the Indians take."

I echo that sentiment. He should be more than enough of a replacement for Lucroy or Green. I want the Indians to take Brantley, so I don't know what would happen if they do, though.

As for the comment about no prospects at 2B, 1) Weeks is still only 25 and B) Taylor Green could easily slide over to 2B. In fact, the more I think about it, an infield of Hardy (3B), Escobar (SS), Green (2B) and Fielder/Gamel (1B) would be pretty sweet and very well L/R balanced, especially when you factor in Braun and Hart in the OF. Hardy has a strong enough hose to play 3B; I'm not so sure that Green projects to be as good defensively at 3B as Hardy.

Why not spend the first 2 years of that with him behind the dish, to see if he takes to it?

'Zactly. BJ Surhoff was a SS in college and learned to play C in the minors; I think Lawrie can do it. You can always move out from C, a la Craig Biggio and others.

Seems like it would be the smartest move to keep Lawrie at catcher until he proves he can't. LuCroy and Salome are still far from sure-things, so no one's blocked yet. I don't think picking up playing 3B would take him all that long.

I'll take as many hitting catchers as I can get. You'd have to think that one of Salome or Lucroy is going to be dealt. Personally, I think Salome's bat is WAY more proven. I hope he sticks.

Archived