Brewer Fanatic

Brett Lawrie -- Latest: SIGNED! (reply #41)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That could be troublesome couldn't it? Isn't the signing deadline August 15th? That would give them less than 2 weeks, not that it would be impossible to come to an agreement that quickly.

I hope the two sides are at least negotiating now, even if Lawrie can't/doesn't want to sign until after the tournament.

I would think they'll have a deal in place, if they don't already, just waiting for the event to be over. I don't see any way the Brewers lose Lawrie.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

How does the Olympics fit in with signing with a team? The Olympic baseball games run between August 13th and August 23rd. Can he sign before August 15th and still qualify to play at the Olympics?

Yes, Lawrie can sign, and still participate in the Olympics.

He will sign. Essentially the way the Brewers look at is he gets to play against good competition without it costing the Brewers a dime.

Actually, Ash doesn't seem happy about it:

"You hope he doesn't get hurt along the way and cost himself a year of service time," Brewers assistant general manager Gord Ash said on Wednesday.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Any updates?

I'd hate to lose out on a blue-chip prospect and see him drafted elsewhere...

Yeah, we know exactly what the fine print on the contract reads, but we're just holding out until we really feel like sharing with everyone.

When we or others know, clancy, so will you...sorry, couldn't resist.

Jim Callis of BA had this to say on Wednesday when asked about the status of the negotiations between Lawrie and the Brewers:

Rodney (Minneapolis): What's a fan to think of this Lawrie stuff between his national team commitments and his signing with the Brewers? This won't stand in the way of him signing, will it?

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/sn2.gif Jim Callis: (2:57 PM ET ) No. He'll turn pro this summer.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=772053

Lawrie on hold: For the first time in Jack Zduriencik's nine years as scouting director, the Brewers' first-round pick won't sign in time to play pro ball this summer. Brett Lawrie, a prep catcher from British Columbia, joined the Canadian Junior National team on Sunday to begin preparing for the world tournament later in the month in Edmonton, Alberta.

Lawrie, 18, also has been selected to play for the Canadian Olympic team that will compete in August in Beijing. That would preclude Lawrie from playing pro ball this year.

"We'd like to have him but we knew this was going to happen," said Zduriencik, who attended the Futures Game. "But he's playing and playing at a high level. It's a big event for him and a wonderful thing to participate in.

"His agent is very positive about him wanting to be a Brewer. We're going to be supportive and watch him play. We'll have somebody there for all of his games."

The deadline for signing 2008 draft picks is Aug. 15. Because of Lawrie's national commitments, negotiations probably will not be concluded until that day or just before.

"Talks have been positive and cordial," Zduriencik said. "The sooner we get him signed, the better for us. I think we're going to be fine. He wants to be a Brewer."

Based on the signings of draft picks above and below the 16th spot in which Lawrie was selected, he figures to get a signing bonus of about $1.6 million or $1.7 million.

The Brewers already have paid $4,360,000 to the other five picks they had through the second round: supplemental first-rounders Jake Odorizzi ($1.06 million) and Evan Frederickson ($1.01 million), and second-rounders Seth Lintz ($900,000), Cutter Dykstra ($737,000) and Cody Adams ($653,000).

Toss in the cost of signing Lawrie and the price tag comes to about $6 million to ink those six early selections.

• 2 weeks later...

With the score 6-4 for Canada heading into the top of the ninth, Chinese Taipei were able to load the bases with only one out on Mike Monster (Kelowna, BC) when he hit Ming-Yen Kan to bring in a run and make it 6-5. Evan Grills (Whitby, ON) was then brought in to relieve Monster.

We need to draft that pitcher next year, he is a Monster. What a great name.

The throw from center beat Wu to the plate with catcher Greg Densem (Toronto, ON) waiting to apply the tag. Wu would then virtually dropkick Densem, striking his spikes in the catcher's mask. This incident would clear both benches, but the situation was diffused before there were any further altercations. Wu was ejected from the game and could face a possible suspension.

Wow, this must have been one seriously intense game.

Nick Bucci (Sarnia, ON) got the start on the hill for Canada and took care of Chinese Taipei in order in the first inning. He would retire the side in order again in the third on route to a five inning outing, allowing three runs and two walks with five strikeouts.

It is easy to forget about Bucci, our 18th rounder (signed), but this quality performance shows that Bucci is one to watch as well.

Lawrie is way, way too advanced to be wasted his time playing on a junior national team. Anybody know what psition he played in these games? He wasn't catching, was it 3rd? I really hope the Brewers make him aware of the fact the catching will delay his big league debut by years. I'm thinking 2B or 3B for him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Id much rather see him at second. We have no prospects at that position whatsoever. Eric Farris is doing ok in low A ball as what, a 22 year old? Irrabarren is struggling in Nashville. Thats about all we got.

Archived