Brewer Fanatic

Complain about your job

homer
I have to drive 900 miles to get to work.

I work 84 hour work weeks for weeks on end.

I am 120 miles from the nearest town.

I haven't seen a woman in 4 days.

I don't have a flushing toilet.

I can't take showers.

It's 2 am and I am up working.

I haven't seen my family in 3 weeks.

I smell like diesel.

I haven't watched a Brewers game in 3 weeks.

You win.

I'm 20 and home for the summer on break. I've officially applied to 14 different places over the last 4 weeks yet I still don't have a job. I go to bed around 2:30-4:00 AM, get out of bed anywhere between 11:00-1:30, and generally don't shower/get ready for the day until about 5:00 in the evening, when my girlfriend and friends get off work. I think I've been the definition of pathetic.

I would like to complain about my job, but since I essentially work in the Social/Human Services field, its best that I keep my complaining to myself due to Confidentiality issues.

But anyhow, this upcoming weekend is the first FULL weekend I have had off since July of last year (when my brother got married) and I work insanely long hours (for those of you who don't know: Fri 10p-Sat 2p, Sat 10p-Sun. 12p, Sun. 11p-Mon. 4p) and I am going to celebrate it by heading up to Minneapolis to see the Brewers-Twins series.

But yeah, its a tough job. I have been sent to the West Allis Memorial ER twice for 1) getting smashed on the head with a frying pan and 2) getting bit in the arm by a resident.

That is all I will say.

Out of curiosity, has anyone here ever pulled a career change, complete with leaving your current job, going back to school and getting a new degree, and then going on to a new career? I am strongly considering going down this path in the near future. Been working in the world of finance for 7 years since graduating from UWM and find it to be absolutely unfulfilling and not at all a good fit for me personally. I have tried finding other roles within my current company and other companies but nothing is working out to my liking. Just wondering if there is advice one could give someone in my position.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Honus,

As soon as my condo sells, I'm doing exactly that....was planning on starting this summer but couldn't afford classes, mortgage. Not to mention I travel for work a little and they wouldn't let me off the road to get a degree that has nothing to do with my job.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm not really enjoying my job too much this summer. I don't get paid for all the hours that I work, and I have to work at home on my own time because of the workload I'm usually given. I don't think I'm challenged and it makes me disinterested a lot of the time. I'm also looking for another job to work before school starts again in the fall, but no one around here is hiring. I almost forgot, I found out that I'm making less money that I was originally told when I started. Awesome!

I'm also practically broke. Oh happy day.

Archived