Brewer Fanatic

Driving home from the game last night..... (Braves fans want Yost?)

No. The reason he'd want the Atlanta job (which I believe he'd take in a heartbeat), is for family (Wife) reasons. She would not let him pass that job up. It's been their home even after 6 years as Brewer manager. I think it's understood by everyone involved that it's a done deal.

The reason he'd not want the Atlanta job is for his managerial reputation. Atlanta is not very good and their best players are old. Their pitching staff is thin without Smoltz and Glavine. Jones is getting up there in age and the bullpen is pretty weak. He'd have to deal with a team on a serious decline all the while getting compared to a hall of fame type manager. Replacing someone who did what Cox did there is like trying to replace Brett Farve. Meanwhile back in Milwaukee the Brewers have a great core of young players and a solid farm system. They have been through the lean years and are about to put up a second straight winning season. This one appears to be even better than the last one. They are in the thick of a pennant race once again and are set up to do so in the next couple years.

I think the Braves history speaks volumes over why the Braves job is probably a move up compared to the Brewers job.

You mean the team that doesn't sell out playoff games? The same team that before the 90's was a bottom feeder and couldn't hold a candle to Milwaukee in the 80's. The good part of their history in Atlanta only really started 15 years ago. Before that there were a lot of people who thought the Braves made a big mistake moving to Atlanta since the Brewers always out sold them. The Braves certainly do have a much better history than the Brewers but most of that came when they were in Milwaukee. What will happen to the Braves in the lean years ahead? Probably the same thing that happened to them when they weren't very good last time around. Low ticket sales, small crowds and apathy.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The good part of their history in Atlanta only really started 15 years ago.

That's exactly my point. A team that won divisions year after year in the 90s compared to a team that still celebrates losing a World Series. I think you need to catch a Braves game in Atlanta to appreciate their fans and their baseball passion. I was impressed by the atmosphere and many fans are quite avid baseball fans which in my opinion is a little different than what you'll see in Milwaukee at times.

Meanwhile back in Milwaukee the Brewers have a great core of young players and a solid farm system. They have been through the lean years and are about to put up a second straight winning season. This one appears to be even better than the last one. They are in the thick of a pennant race once again and are set up to do so in the next couple years.

I don't disagree here, but will he be around for this? A few weeks ago nearly everyone was calling for Yost's head and it was reported he was fired. This doesn't exactly sound like a great working environment. Atlanta has shown they can put together some pretty darn good teams and while they aren't anything but an average team I don't see a 26 year playoff gap in their horizon. The organization simply won't allow that to happen. Atlanta also has a few nice young players of their own that should make a big impact for years to come and will be able to keep them if they want. Milwaukee will potentially lose Sheets and Fielder in the next few years which makes this current job possibly not as great in the short future.

I can't believe people are still riding on Yost right now. I heard a couple days ago that in the last 30 some games, the Brewers have the best record in the National League. I am just trying to enjoy it while I can. We saw last year how quickly the wheels can fall off the wagon...this team may still have problems, but right now Yost is far down the list, in my estimation. We're 1.5 games back in the Wildcard hunt, and only 6 back in the division with plenty of games against the Cubs left at Miller Park. Frankly, hearing Braves fans praising Yost just makes me think that a lot of Brewers fans aren't looking at him with enough perspective.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

As recently as 2002 a manager was 'traded.' Lou Piniella was managing Seattle and there was mutual interest between Lou and his hometown Devil Rays, so Seattle released him from his contract, and Tampa sent Seattle Randy Winn in exchange. (Antonio Perez was also involved, so it wasn't quite as straightforward as Tanner for Sanguillen.)

(Antonio Perez was also involved, so it wasn't quite as straightforward as Tanner for Sanguillen.)

Thanks! I think the "official" transaction is Perez for Winn, -- but of course Pinella factored into the deal.

My guess is that the union/labor agreement has rules in place that prevent a player for manager trade -- in a straightforward manner.

It's not really a trade for a manager. It's a "Hey, if you do this trade I'll let my manager out of his contract so he can sign with you" kind of thing. A team makes a one sided trade and suddenly the manager is released and signs with the other team.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Why wouldn't Yost want a job with one of the most stable oragnizations in the last 30 years. Atlanta is so much better than Milwaukee. Milwaukee is about to turn into the Oakland of the Midwest. Which manager wants to be here only to watch his best players walk. I don't know guys, maybe Yost is too good for the Milwaukee job. (Go ahead and pile on).

A team that won divisions year after year in the 90s compared to a team that still celebrates losing a World Series

This is 2008 and the Brewers are far closer to contending than the Braves. So what if their history is better than ours. They no longer have the free spending Ted Turner and we no longer have the tightwad Seligs. If Ned goes there he replaces someone who had great teams and carved out a piece of history. He'll have to do that when the team is at it's lowest point in nearly two decades. He'd essentially be putting himself into a no win situation. if he does win he was supposed to. If he loses, and judging by their last couple years and age of their core players he will be, he's the one who couldn't compete with Cox.

In Milwaukee if he gets back to the playoffs he'll be considered as the man who brought back one of the worst franchises in the game to a legitimate contender. His reputation around the league will certainly be better by winning with Milwaukee than the Braves.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

This is 2008 and the Brewers are far closer to contending than the Braves.

For how much longer though? Again taking away Sheets and Fielder all of sudden makes this team around the Braves level talent wise. LaPorta and Gamel could more than make up for Fielder, but we don't know. The Braves also have some nice minor league players of their own and already have some nice young players on their team.

In Milwaukee if he gets back to the playoffs he'll be considered as the man who brought back one of the worst franchises in the game to a legitimate contender. His reputation around the league will certainly be better by winning with Milwaukee than the Braves.

Or he'll be fired at the end of the year. Atlanta IMO is a much better opportunity for long-term success. Players actually want to play there and would much rather live in a warmer climate year round than Milwaukee. Atlanta also doesn't have to overpay free agentst o get them there. If I'm Yost, after all the hoopla surrounding firing him the past few years I get on the first plane out of town should the Atlanta job open up. Why would Yost want to stay in a town where all he gets is mostly negative opinions?

Archived