Brewer Fanatic

Driving home from the game last night..... (Braves fans want Yost?)

While I was driving home from the game at the Ted last night I was listening to the local Braves post game show and they were talking about where the Braves go from here. The topic of manager came up and there was a groundswell of support for them to go after Yost when Cox shuts it down. Due to the fact he was in Atlanta for a while and he still lives in Marietta (ATL Suburb), its understandable, but they went on to say what an amazing job he has done and how he would be the perfect manager for the Braves for a very long time........

EDIT: Clarified title - BtA

That's the thing about it... Braves fans don't see the every day stuff we ride Yost about, and we don't see the every day stuff that fans ride other managers about. I think managing, since there are no stats other than W-L records, is the one area where people feel the grass is ALWAYS greener. I'm not saying I'm a big Yost fan, but I'd go out on a limb and say that manager-bashing is a regular occurrence for all teams. It's part of the game.

I've been to a few Braves games and know quite a few Braves fans and they've felt this way for awhile. Some even go as far to say that it's understood that once Cox leaves Atlanta Yost will be the manager. I've also heard that the Braves manager position is more or less Yost's dream job.

Community Moderator

Coaching/managing positions are the easiest fix. It doesn't require adding payroll or trading prospects or drafting to improve your team. You can fire your manager one day and have a completely new coaching staff the next day.

Despite that, it takes months or even years for a manager's system to be fully put in place. Yost's in-game decisions started immediately, but the losing mindset had to be changed over the course of years.

It depends on your evaluation of our talent to decide whether he has done a good job or not. Some would say he's a manager of the year candidate, others have wanted him gone for over a year. From an outsider's perspective, Yost has helped turn the 'pathetic' Brewers into a perennial contender--and he was clearly well-liked in Atlanta as a coach.

Yost's in-game decisions started immediately, but the losing mindset had to be changed over the course of years.

So true. It's always obvious when someone makes mistakes in the game but not so with gradual change over time. While it may have taken years for that to take hold he did start the process immediately upon arrival. When asked if he would have sat Hernandez to avoid an embarrassing k record he said players play and he didn't really want someone who would want to sit regrdless of circumstances. What he did do from the word go was to change the way things were done though. I still remember his first spring training when pitchers and catchers reported and some of the position players came early. He told them if they came they had to be ready to work out and not just hang around in street clothes. He got rid of music in the clubhouse so some players didn't force others to listen to their music. They could use headphones but couldn't last their boombox. He generally is credited from outsiders with creating a professional atmosphere here in Milwaukee. Probably because outsiders only see or think about the Brewers a few times a year so they may actually notice those gradual changes as opposed to those of us who watch them daily.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

That's the thing about it... Braves fans don't see the every day stuff we ride Yost about, and we don't see the every day stuff that fans ride other managers about. I think managing, since there are no stats other than W-L records, is the one area where people feel the grass is ALWAYS greener. I'm not saying I'm a big Yost fan, but I'd go out on a limb and say that manager-bashing is a regular occurrence for all teams. It's part of the game.

That's sort of how I feel about managers and don't think the next guy will be any better. It is also why I think Yost will get a better job after leaving Milwaukee and start looking better because he will get the chance to manage a winning team. Milwaukee was his "get a foot in the door" job that almost every manager has. After they get some experience they can choose a job instead of taking whatever they can get.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Some even go as far to say that it's understood that once Cox leaves Atlanta Yost will be the manager. I've also heard that the Braves manager position is more or less Yost's dream job

They're welcome to him! I'd guess there's a similar 'He was on the '82 Brewers!' effect in play for Braves fans. I know one that feels Yost is a solid manager... largely because he doesn't follow the Crew closely. Owbc said it best:

"From an outsider's perspective, Yost has helped turn the 'pathetic' Brewers into a perennial contender--and he was clearly well-liked in Atlanta as a coach."

This is basically what my buddy would tell me.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If Ned has the choice between rebuilding Atlanta of finishing what he started here I doubt he'd go back. Why put yourself through another rebuild when you almost have this one were you want it and are about to reap the rewards of six years of work? He'd have to be some sort of masochist to jump ship to ATL now.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

If Ned has the choice between rebuilding Atlanta of finishing what he started here I doubt he'd go back. Why put yourself through another rebuild when you almost have this one were you want it and are about to reap the rewards of six years of work? He'd have to be some sort of masochist to jump ship to ATL now.

I think the Braves history speaks volumes over why the Braves job is probably a move up compared to the Brewers job. Is the Brewers job a bad gig? No it's not, but with all the questions surrounding who will be here long-term I don't think it's a slam dunk. If I take my Brewers goggles off, I think in the long-term and over history the Braves job is the one I would want over the Brewers gig.

Community Moderator

Even if Yost leaves after this season, the way that we will talk about him 10 years from now is still up in the air.

This is generalizing, but...

1) What if we fall back out of the race this year and finish under .500?

2) What if we make it to the NLCS, but lose to the Cubs because Yost made a managing mistake in the 9th inning of game 7?

3) What if we make it to the World Series?

If you are a Brewers fan, #1 would be a disaster, but so would #2. I think most of us would want a new manager in either situation.

If you are a fan of just about every other team, you would probably be happy with giving Yost a long term extension if #2 occurs.

If you are a Yankees/Red Sox fan, all 3 are failures if you don't win the World Series.

So it really depends on perspective. I think any playoff appearance and Yost will and should get a 3 year extension (Edit: and he will take it over rebuilding again)

I agree with this. And I think you can add television broadcast booth to this too. People ALWAYS complain about who the announcers are and want to see them get fired. I don't get it.

No. The reason he'd want the Atlanta job (which I believe he'd take in a heartbeat), is for family (Wife) reasons. She would not let him pass that job up. It's been their home even after 6 years as Brewer manager. I think it's understood by everyone involved that it's a done deal.

I think Brian hits the nail on the head here. I know quite a few Braves fans who wanted Bobby Cox fired a couple years ago, and they still see him as one of the most overrated managers in baseball history. Dodgers fans are less than thrilled with Joe Torre's managing style. Reds fans are sick and tired of Dusty Baker (although they pretty much knew what they were getting into at the start of the year). A decent percentage of Cubs fans hate Lou Piniella's bullpen management and obsession with the hit and run. I'd be willing to bet that fans of any team that had high expectations at the start of the year are griping about something their manager did recently. Don't get me wrong -- I'm not a huge fan of a lot of things Yost does, either, but I don't think it's that ridiculous to think that he could easily be Bobby Cox's replacement in Atlanta.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I think a lot of managerial changes are made not because the front office thinks it will help but to appease an angry ticket buying public. I once heard a quote (can't remember from whom I heard it) that said " A bad manager can hurt a team more thamn a good manager can help one". In other words if you ain't got the talent you could bring Walter Alston back from the dead and it wouldn't help but if you do have the talent a bad manager can screw ir up. I pretty much agree with that.

I live only a few miles from where his kid(s) go to high school (don't remember how many are left in the school). Should I head over and have a sit-down with the family?

I used to be pretty good friends with his son (when he was at Arrowhead first half of freshman year)

Perhaps Atlanta could send us a little something to entice the team to release Ned Yost from his obligations...a pitcher or two might do it. (There is precedent...Chuck Tanner and Lou Piniella were both 'traded' for players.)

Because Ned has done such a stellar job here, let's start the bidding with Jair Jurrjens.

Because Ned has done such a stellar job here, let's start the bidding with Jair Jurrjens.

Love the idea, and getting Jurrjens alone is good enough for me to trade Ned. I might even settle for less.

The Braves are most welcome to have Yost, and I hope they do it really soon.

(There is precedent...Chuck Tanner and Lou Piniella were both 'traded' for players.)

I know Chuck Tanner was traded for Manny Sanguillen -- I don't think Pinella was traded as a manager. I'd be interested to learn otherwise.

From an outsider's perspective, Yost has helped turn the 'pathetic' Brewers into a perennial contender--

I would hope Braves fans would realize that what turned around the Brewers was an infusion of young talent.

and he was clearly well-liked in Atlanta as a coach.

I don't doubt this. I like Bill Castro and Ed Sedar -- I am not sure I'd want them as managers though. I think liking him as a coach would be the wrong reasons to hire Yost, and I think the ATL could do a lot better than Yost -- as I agree that the Braves managing gig, is one of the best in MLB.

Archived