Brewer Fanatic

Is there a stat kept for stranding at third?

danzig6767

With less than two outs?

I ask because during the Brewers game tonight a friend stopped by and twice the team didn't get the run in from third with less than two outs. My buddy was getting all pissed off each time it happened and he generally gets all flustered anytime this happens and i'm around him. It obviously gets on my nerves also, but my guess is others teams do it at least near as often as the Brewers do, some teams maybe even more often.

I tried telling my friend that it probably only seems like we strand that player at third at a much higher percentage than other teams because fans get so angry when their team own does it, but don't notice it nearly as much when our pitchers strand that guy at third. I bet my friend whoever is wrong has to buy pizza next time he stops by to watch a game that the Brewers wouldn't be in the top 5 of worst teams at this situation, of course only if i can find the info and i wasn't able to. Anyone here know if there is data on this?

http://www.tangotiger.net/RE9902.html shows how much a team can expect to score in given situations. I know it's not what you are basing your bet on, but it is helpul. With the minimum situation of a guy on 3rd and one out, a team average .983 runs in that inning. Of course, there are lots of variables. There will be innings in that situation where a team might score 6 runs in that inning, so it doesn't tell us how often a team actually scores in that situation.

NL average - Runner on 3rd base, less than 2 outs - 2598 PA's

.322 BA, .371 OBP, .468 SLG, .839 OPS, 1598 R

MIL - Runner on 3rd base, less than 2 outs - 148 PA's

.243 BA, .310 OBP, .398 SLG, .708 OPS, 72 R

So, yeah, the Brewers have been underperforming compare to the rest of the league, although 148 PA's is probably not a very good sample size.

EDIT: Forgot to credit Baseball-Reference.com for the information.

I am keeping tabs on the Brewers regarding this statistic this year (havent updated it in about a week though) and I call it the "Cheeseburger" stat. Stems from the payment required by a batter that strands a runner at 3rd with less than 2 outs to the entire team (high school ball). Once I update again, Ill share what I have so far.

i'm writing this on my phone, so I can't look everything up. Tangotiger.net has a run frequency table that shows the rate at least w run scored for various base/out situations. That should give you a reasonable baseline.

Fans of every team complains about this kind of stuff. I don.t know how to find the actual strand rate for each team, though. The Brewers strike out a lot, so I could see it being a little below average.

It's funny that you should bring this up. I actually wrote an article 5 years ago for Brewerfan.net about this very topic:

http://www.brewerfan.net/ViewArticle.do?articleId=139

The problem was that I was scouring game logs to calculate the data and it was too time consuming to continue. It is nice to see that there are other resources out there now that make it easeir to find info.

You know you have a Brewerfan addiction when...

i'm writing this on my phone, so I can't look everything up.

Sorry Russ, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw your post. I have to agree this sounds like another one of those things that fans will tend to think their own team is bad at because it is so disappointing when the run doesn't score.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived