Brewer Fanatic

3rd best record in the NL....

Careful don't give Ned the same credit as we gave Melvin last year with Arizona. He was a genius, deftly handling the bullpen to perfection, thus the reason for winning with such a poor run differential. Ned is just lucky.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

It would be devastating if the season ended like this and we missed the playoffs with the 3rd best record in the league. I doubt that will happen though.

We won't finish behind St Louis - unless they make some dramatic roster moves. I'm pretty comfortable in predicting that. Of course, I'm not going to say that somebody else couldn't come up and bite us.

This is what I dislike about pythag records used on the micro level. Why would the good record be a fluke any more than the poor pythag be a fluke? If the team's pythagorean record is still that bad at the end of the year but they have kept winning at a .553 clip, I will agree that it was luck. However, we aren't even halfway through the season yet. Also, their expected pythag is a bit better than their actual at this point (only 1 win though). I think it is too soon, just like it was too soon to say Arizona was a great team because they had like a +80 run differential after the first month.

And we are 3rd place in the NL Central?

Has that ever happened before, the 3 top teams from a league playing in the same division at the end of the season?

Sort of last year: the top 3 were in the NL West (Arizona and then the Rockies and Padres tied with the Phillies) and the Padres went out (and down to 4th) when they lost the playoff.

Community Moderator

I don't really care about the Pythagorean record either. All it says to me is that we have a good record in 1-run games.

As for predicting the future, we could either (1) regress towards our Pythagorean record, or we could (2) keep scoring more runs and have the Pythagorean record catch up to our real record, or even (3) keep winning close ballgames like Arizona did last year. I think #2 is most likely.

I was wondering recently where that June prediction thread went.

I seem to recall several people predicting bad things for the Crew in July.

EDIT: Man, that search function is a pretty cool thing.

June Prediction Thread

I must have been thinking of a different thread. Almost all predicted a pretty decent month.

Archived