Brewer Fanatic

Sheets to start in the All Star game?

brewmann04

If they let him go on regular rest in his next start, he'll pitch the Sunday before the AS game, and get the game off.

Let's hope. absolutely nothing good can come out of him pitching in that game, and many, many bad things can.

I would rather him make the team and take a bow at intros and be ready to pitch the first game back after the layoff. Last year they gave him a game or two off after pitching in the All-Star game and I believe that was the game against the Rockies that he got hurt in.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Plays for the Reds and still has 10 wins. I think he's a lock.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I was speaking more to the fact that they're the Reds and no one cares about them, but yeah, that's a great point. Realistically I don't think a case can be made for anyone but Volquez. The Cy Young could be a very different story, as in the past, that has sometimes gone to pitchers with higher ERA and more wins - guys from winning teams. I think it's a bunch of garbage, but that's the way it is. If the Brewers make the playoffs, I think Sheets is a big time Cy Young candidate. I also don't think Volquez's numbers will hold up by the end of the year.

wouldnt the ASG work as a good bullpen session for him between starts?

I think a bullpen session would be a better bullpen session for him. He would be likely to try to throw the ball through the backstop if he were to pitch in the All Star Game again. As lucky as the Crew has been with his health this year, if I were them I'd rather not push my luck.

Unless Volquez blows up bad in his next 2 starts, he has to be the starter. As good as Sheets is, Volquez is absolutely unbelievable. The only possible knock you can have on him is that he has a high walk rate. But when you K up 11 per 9, it doesn't really matter too much.

If they let him go on regular rest in his next start, he'll pitch the Sunday before the AS game, and get the game off.

Let's hope. absolutely nothing good can come out of him pitching in that game, and many, many bad things can.

Depending on when his last start ends up happening, i'd like to see him pitching one inning if he makes the All-Star game. Sheets isn't some 23 year old kid, i think he's plenty mature enough that if he pitched, Ben wouldn't do something dumb and try to throw some 100mph fastballs. Outside of i believe it being Pedro that one All-Star game where he got crazy, i don't remember things happening where pitchers suffered for throwing an inning.

If i'm mistaken about that, fill me in

I would be surprised if Clint Hurdle went with Volquez as the starter. A rookie. In the All-Star Game. Over veterans like Sheets and, my personal choice, Webb.

I'm sure it HAS happened in the past (rookie pitcher starts the game) but I just don't see it, statistics be darned. Hurdle appears to be an old-school type manager and, I would guess, would skipper the All-Star game in that "old-boys" kind of way.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Regardless, I'd rather that Sheets does not start the game but rather be 2nd out of the pen, get his inning in and be done.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Volquez is a rookie. His numbers are deserving, but he's still a rookie, has never been in that environment, and has a propensity for wildness (45 BB in 95 IP). He'd likely be hyped up and wild. Webb has been struggling a bit of late and Lincecum got lit up his last start.

Right now, I'd say Sheets is the odds on to start for the NL with of all people, Ryan Dempster, the likely number 2 choice.

The only reason Volquez wouldn't start over Sheets is that the manager is "old-school" and doesn't like to "clog the bases." You'd have to be crazy to ignore this line: (As irrelevant as wins are as a stat for pitchers) 10-2, 110 K in 95 IP, 1.71 ERA with a BABIP around .300. Sheets is pitching like 2004, and Volquez is pitching like Randy Johnson in 2004. Sheets has been amazing, Volquez has been more amazing.

Most of these arguments sound like people trying to rationalize something just because they want it to be true.

Hurdle appears to be an old-school type manager and, I would guess, would skipper the All-Star game in that "old-boys" kind of way.

Yeah, if I had to guess, this is how I'd guess, too. Hurdle is the ultimate 'old boy's club' guy. I'd bet on Webb/Haren, personally. Hurdle sees them more frequently anyway, and you know that Clint knows it cuz he seen it! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Right now, I'd say Sheets is the odds on to start for the NL with of all people, Ryan Dempster, the likely number 2 choice.

If the game were at Wrigley, then yes start Dempster (9-0 at home) not on the road.

The only reason Volquez wouldn't start over Sheets is that the manager is "old-school" and doesn't like to "clog the bases."

Clint Hurtle is the ASG manager and he's not the "clog the bases" guy. That's Volquez's regular manager, Dusty Baker.

Unless Volquez blows up bad in his next 2 starts, he has to be the starter. As good as Sheets is, Volquez is absolutely unbelievable. The only possible knock you can have on him is that he has a high walk rate. But when you K up 11 per 9, it doesn't really matter too much.

Lincecum could jump up there into that mix too. If Sheets has a slip and Lincecum or Webb really turn it on their next 2 starts, they could be the starters.

My pick right now would be Volquez. ROY and CY Young? Would be a great story.

Clint Hurtle is the ASG manager and he's not the "clog the bases" guy. That's Volquez's regular manager, Dusty Baker.

Ah, but Hurdle isn't far off -- this is the man who bats Willy Taveras & his .299 OBP leadoff! WILLY FAST! WILLY BAT LEADOFF!

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived