Brewer Fanatic

Get Maddux and a Lefty OF

Getting Maddux is the kind of move I like over a CC trade.

I agree --- TGJ is largely useless to the Brewers, and a TGJ for Maddux deal adds to our pitching arsenal, while not creating a big hole, (like trading Prince would do).

A couple of things to consider -- Maddux chewing up some of Parra's innings, so Parra could pitch in Sep./Oct. would have value.

If I am DM, on one hand I am patting McClung on the back as I am wondering when the McClung trolley is due to come off the track. McClung has been awesome, but I don't think you but all your eggs in that basket.

If Riske/Gagne never come back, Bush and/or McClung could go back to the pen to pitch quality innings.

I would love this trade. It almost makes too much sense to happen.

I know lots of people loved his last start but most times you walk 5 in less than 7 innings you're in real trouble.

Two of those walks came in the 7th after he had clearly run out of gas, and he had a WHIP of less than one going into that inning. Of course, the running out of gas in the 7th itself is an issue, but hopefully less of one as the season goes on.

I think it's a good thing that McClung entered the rotation and has done as well as he has. I also think it's a good thing McClung entered the rotation when he did because by the trading deadline he'll have been given adequate time for the wheels to fall off, IMO. If things are still copacetic in late July, great... if not, then you do a trade to replace him with someone like Maddux or greater if necessary.

The Brewers need a number 2 guy for the playoffs. Maddux would help us get there but he is not the kind of guy you want pitching nowadays in the postseason over what we have.

1) A #2 guy is going to cost an arm and a leg in prospects. Not sure I want to mortgage the future.

B) They need to get to the playoffs first. Not sure I want to mortgage the future and not wind up in the playoffs (like last year).

3) "Even if Maddux is just slightly better than Bush, having him on the team would be like having an extra pitching coach. He'd be a great teacher for guys like Parra and Yo, plus his composure down the stretch would be huge." Half the reason I want Maddux. You know that Maddux won't poop down his leg under the pressure of a big game because he's been there many, many times. While he may not have the upside, you know he won't blow up, and in a playoff game I'll take six innings of Maddux with the Brewers offense behind him. Maddux doesn't have great road splits, but Parra's and Bush's are even worse.

4) When you get to the playoffs, you shorten the staff. How about Sheets, Maddux, and Suppan as your #1-3. That's some major veteran presence right there. One of Parra/McClung/Bush as the #4 with the other two in the pen to rescue Suppan if he doesn't have it.

5) Parra in the month of June: 4-0, 3.33 ERA (WHIP a little high though). McClung in June: 3-1, 2.55 ERA, sub 1.00 WHIP, .186 BAA. Bush in June: 3-2, 3.09 ERA, sub 1.00 WHIP, .208 BAA. They have three guys right now who are pitching like #2s. No real need to give up the farm to acquire a #2 right now.

Maddux line from last night: 4 2/3 IP, 8 Hits, 8 ER, 3 BB, 1 K.

He's likely to have more lines like this the rest of the season. He was terrible down the stretch last year (6.14 ERA in Sept), and he's a year older. Nobody pitches forever. The Brewers have much better options than a 42 year old on his last legs.

Maddux is nothing more than a "feel good" move to make fans feel like the Brewers are actively trying to win. He's essentially just like Dave Bush, but may do a little better in Sept. as he will have the veteran experience.

Someone like a Cliff Lee or a Jonathan Sanchez could be a great find for the Crew if they can pry them away without giving up too much. That's probably just wishful thinking though. Both would be available for the right price, though.

Jarrod Washburn has an ERA under 3 over his last 6 (5 quality) starts covering 36 2/3 innings. If you don't want to pony up what it would take to get Sabathia, I think Washburn is the best of the midling guys who are probably available at the right price. Plus he's signed through 2009 at basically what they are paying Gagne ($9.375 million) and he would give them added rotation depth for 2009.

Archived