Brewer Fanatic

Get Maddux and a Lefty OF

I think we could get Maddux for a decent price. (Considerably cheaper than Sabathia.) Plus, it'd be cool to watch Greg and Mike on the same team. Also, a power hitting lefty off the bench, preferably an outfielder (not Gwynn), and we are ready.

How about Gwynn and maybe Gillespie for Maddux and Giles. Or would that be too much or too little to give up?

It seem kind of fair to me, but maybe San Diego would want more, in which case I would pass. A Giles/Cameron platoon (with Hart in CF when Giles played) would be pretty sweet offensively. However, Maddux and Giles are both too old and decrepit to really count on to be good, so I wouldn't give up a ton.

actually, now that I look at it, I like getting Giles more than I like getting Maddux. Maddux would be nice too, but Giles would really give the offense a boost over Cameron's sub-.300 OBP. However, Cameron does play the great defense.

Maddux and Giles are both too old and decrepit to really count on to be good
If old and decrepit means averaging 6 IP per start, a 3:1 K/BB ratio, and a 122 ERA+, let's all go scout nursing home leagues.

A power hitting lefty OF, hmm...

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAGK178~Geoff-Jenkins-2004-Batting-Action-Photofile-Posters.jpg

Bring back Geoff!

By old and decrepit, I just meant that Maddux is 42 and eventually some team that's counting on him to do what he's always done will get burned.

Also, the Dodgers gave up less than Gwynn to get him back in 2006. If the Padres want more than Gwynn and maybe a C- prospect, they want too much and the Brewers would be foolish to capitulate, imo.

I can't see the need for a lefty hitting OF at this point, and I think based on Maddux performance this year, you'd be buying high.

Really where have they missed Gross? Branyan's given them that extra lefthanded bat and much to my surprise, even Counsell's contributed offensively in the last month.

Maddux has done well, but he's been basically a 6 inning, 4 or so ERA guy for the past several years, and considering his ERA now is in low 3's, it's likely he'd do no better than around 5 the rest of the year and the Brewers have several guys fully capable of that or better.

I can see adding another lefty bat in September, maybe even Gamel, but not now.

No no a thousand times no. 1) Maddux has pitched 225, 210, and 198 innings over the past three seasons. 2) Maddux' FIPs the past three years: 4.06 ,3.80, 3.58. This year its 3.57.

He's likely worse than that due to pitching in LA and San Diego, but he would still in the low 4's. That is a solid #2 numbers.

Yes I wouldn't sign Maddux to a three year deal but getting him for the second half of 2008 isn't bad if the cost is reasonable.

The problem with this scenario is that the Brewer got taken for a ride in the last deal they made with San Diego. Maddux would be a nice fit, but he's not likely to do better than a 4.25 ERA down the stretch, and what is that worth over what Bush would do? It certainly isn't worth 6 years of Gamel or LaPorta or Escobar or Jeffress or Salome or some of their other top prospects. Is it worth 6 years of Gillespie? 5 of Gwynn? I don't know.

I'd say not being forced to watch Gwynn bat in a Brewer uniform ever again is worth half a season of Maddux. And there could be some entertainment value in watching the Maddux brothers in the same dugout.

But like you said Joe, I'm just not sure how much of an upgrade Maddux is. He's better than Dave Bush, but is it by more than even a win over half a season?

If SD wants to just dump the contract, well sure. If they actually want prospects about A+ ball (besides Gywnn)...maybe not.

If this moved Dave Bush into the pen; that should be an upgrade for the staff in general.

Even if Maddux is just slightly better than Bush, having him on the team would be like having an extra pitching coach. He'd be a great teacher for guys like Parra and Yo, plus his composure down the stretch would be huge. I also agree with davego that moving Bush to the bullpen would be an upgrade as well. Gwynn + a low level prospect or two would be a good deal for Maddux. Get it done Doug!

Gwynn + a low level prospect or two would be a good deal for Maddux. Get it done Doug!

I think we all believe this. However, given what Doug gave up in the last deal with SD, is that all it would take? Anything more than Gwynn and a filler prospect would be too much (barring injury to Bush).

JoeHova[/b]]
yount19[/b]]Gwynn + a low level prospect or two would be a good deal for Maddux. Get it done Doug!

I think we all believe this. However, given what Doug gave up in the last deal with SD, is that all it would take? Anything more than Gwynn and a filler prospect would be too much (barring injury to Bush).

I'm just hoping the Gwynn last name allows them to avoid giving up the farm, literally. If his last name was Jones or Smith, I don't think the Padres would have much interest. Given his family's history, though, it may allow the deal to go through without giving up a top prospect. I think the Padres understand he would be an instant fan favorite, and provide a bump in attendance even if he was average.

Getting Maddux is the kind of move I like over a CC trade. Maddux gives us stability and will cost so much less. It is weird because some people act like we need another top line guy to get to the WS but who did St. Louis have after Carpenter (Suppan, Weaver, Reyes, ?) and how about Colorado last year (Francis, Cook, Jimenez, Fogg). I am not saying this advocating staying put and doing nothing, but I am weary of a move that reeks of something we will regret later. Maddux is a move that makes sense if it just costs Gwynn and a lower level guy. Sheets, Suppan, Parra, Maddux, and McClung really is not that bad, especially if McClung can keep this up. Then if something crazy happens and Yo can come back we have Sheets, Yo, Soup, Maddux and Parra which would be great.

Archived