Brewer Fanatic

Get Maddux and a Lefty OF

No no a thousand times no. 1) Maddux has pitched 225, 210, and 198 innings over the past three seasons. 2) Maddux' FIPs the past three years: 4.06 ,3.80, 3.58. This year its 3.57.

He's likely worse than that due to pitching in LA and San Diego, but he would still in the low 4's. That is a solid #2 numbers.

Yes I wouldn't sign Maddux to a three year deal but getting him for the second half of 2008 isn't bad if the cost is reasonable.

No no a thousand times no. 1) Maddux has pitched 225, 210, and 198 innings over the past three seasons. 2) Maddux' FIPs the past three years: 4.06 ,3.80, 3.58. This year its 3.57.

He's likely worse than that due to pitching in LA and San Diego, but he would still in the low 4's. That is a solid #2 numbers.

Yes I wouldn't sign Maddux to a three year deal but getting him for the second half of 2008 isn't bad if the cost is reasonable.

The problem with this scenario is that the Brewer got taken for a ride in the last deal they made with San Diego. Maddux would be a nice fit, but he's not likely to do better than a 4.25 ERA down the stretch, and what is that worth over what Bush would do? It certainly isn't worth 6 years of Gamel or LaPorta or Escobar or Jeffress or Salome or some of their other top prospects. Is it worth 6 years of Gillespie? 5 of Gwynn? I don't know.

The problem with this scenario is that the Brewer got taken for a ride in the last deal they made with San Diego. Maddux would be a nice fit, but he's not likely to do better than a 4.25 ERA down the stretch, and what is that worth over what Bush would do? It certainly isn't worth 6 years of Gamel or LaPorta or Escobar or Jeffress or Salome or some of their other top prospects. Is it worth 6 years of Gillespie? 5 of Gwynn? I don't know.

I'd say not being forced to watch Gwynn bat in a Brewer uniform ever again is worth half a season of Maddux. And there could be some entertainment value in watching the Maddux brothers in the same dugout.

But like you said Joe, I'm just not sure how much of an upgrade Maddux is. He's better than Dave Bush, but is it by more than even a win over half a season?

I'd say not being forced to watch Gwynn bat in a Brewer uniform ever again is worth half a season of Maddux. And there could be some entertainment value in watching the Maddux brothers in the same dugout.

But like you said Joe, I'm just not sure how much of an upgrade Maddux is. He's better than Dave Bush, but is it by more than even a win over half a season?

If SD wants to just dump the contract, well sure. If they actually want prospects about A+ ball (besides Gywnn)...maybe not.

If this moved Dave Bush into the pen; that should be an upgrade for the staff in general.

If SD wants to just dump the contract, well sure. If they actually want prospects about A+ ball (besides Gywnn)...maybe not.

If this moved Dave Bush into the pen; that should be an upgrade for the staff in general.

Even if Maddux is just slightly better than Bush, having him on the team would be like having an extra pitching coach. He'd be a great teacher for guys like Parra and Yo, plus his composure down the stretch would be huge. I also agree with davego that moving Bush to the bullpen would be an upgrade as well. Gwynn + a low level prospect or two would be a good deal for Maddux. Get it done Doug!

Even if Maddux is just slightly better than Bush, having him on the team would be like having an extra pitching coach. He'd be a great teacher for guys like Parra and Yo, plus his composure down the stretch would be huge. I also agree with davego that moving Bush to the bullpen would be an upgrade as well. Gwynn + a low level prospect or two would be a good deal for Maddux. Get it done Doug!

Gwynn + a low level prospect or two would be a good deal for Maddux. Get it done Doug!

I think we all believe this. However, given what Doug gave up in the last deal with SD, is that all it would take? Anything more than Gwynn and a filler prospect would be too much (barring injury to Bush).

Gwynn + a low level prospect or two would be a good deal for Maddux. Get it done Doug!

I think we all believe this. However, given what Doug gave up in the last deal with SD, is that all it would take? Anything more than Gwynn and a filler prospect would be too much (barring injury to Bush).

Archived