Brewer Fanatic

Approximately where would the big 5 rate overall in baseball?

JoeHova

With all the talk recently about various trades either for stars or of Brewers' stars, I was hoping to get a little perspective on where the team's top 5 prospects (LaPorta, Gamel, Escobar, Salome, Jeffress) would rate among the top prospects in baseball at this point. LaPorta was ranked 31st in baseball by Baseball Prospectus before the season, Jeffress was 76th. The other 3 were not ranked in BP's top 100 but have certainly been making their cases to be considered top prospects this year.

I'm not necessarily looking for an exact number of where they would be ranked just a range. Like, LaPorta would be a top 20-30 prospect, Escobar a top 120-150 prospect or whatever you think.

I have seen LaPorta mentioned in the 5 to 10 range by a couple guys in chats. Gamel was mentioned at around 20 or so when a guy was asked what player will make the biggest jump this year. After that is is hard to know because the guys just drafted could get in there too.

My somewhat informed opinion would be:

LaPorta--10-15 (maybe even a little higher)

Gamel--20ish

Escobar--80-100

Jeffress-50-60

Salome-around 125

Salome and Jeffress are hurt, imo, by their suspensions in that I think a lot of people (myself included) would like to see them clean for at least a year before restoring their status'. Without their problems, I would guess Jeffress would be around 30 and Salome around 80-90.

On a personal note, I think Escobar would be far too low and LaPorta too high. LaPorta shows tremendous power, I just worry about his ability to get on base at the major league level. I think his average may end up in the .250 range leading to an obp of around .350. Not shabby at all, but I don't know if that makes him a top-10-type prospect. Hope I'm wrong.

I also think Escobar is having the type of season I was hoping he would. That is, showing the ability to drive the ball and improving his plate discipline while making the most difficult jump in the minors at a very young age. I think he's a top 25-30 type guy, but I don't think a lot of national pundits would agree.

Edit: cleaned it up.

LaPorta - top 15

Gamel - top 25

Escobar - 100+

Jeffress - top 50

Salome - 80-90

Braddock - 90-100

If Braddock continues to put up huge K totals, he'll have to be on the tail end of the list someplace in the 100ish neighborhood, he's a lefty who's very projectable.

LaPorta got a ton of love before the season, and in season so he's moving up... Gamel is getting huge reviews all year so he should be top 25, maybe top 35.

Escobar isn't all that projectable at the plate, so I see him on the outside looking in.

Jeffress will be top 50 if he continues to excel, he has a rare arm, and if continues to mature, he'll climb that list in a similar fashion to Yo.

Salome to me is the wildcard, BA doesn't like him at all for whatever reason, and no one I've emailed regarding the HS or DD has responded to my emails. If he keeps hitting he's a catcher that's sporting a 900+ OPS, I'm not sure they could continue to ignore his success, but my gut tells me they will.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Salome to me is the wildcard, BA doesn't like him at all for whatever reason, and no one I've emailed regarding the HS or DD has responded to my emails.
I know Jim Callis has said Salome is a legitimate catching prospect.

HS = Hot Sheet

DD = Daily Dish

I did see Callis' comments, but I believe the top 100 is a staff effort like the P50 here on Bf.net.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

LaPorta - Pat Burrell

Gamel - Scott Rolen from a few years ago (bat)/ Audrey Huff (glove)

Escobar - Omar Vizquel (in his prime - although Escobar won't be quite as good w/ the glove)

Jeffress - Francisco Cordero

Salome - Pudge Rodgriguez (in his prime)

Braddock - Jeff Suppan (maybe with a few more strikeouts)

I don't pay enough attention to MLB baseball except for the Brewers. So my question is: how many quality MLB starters in today's game consistently/effectively hit 96+ on the radar gun?

The reason I ask is because I always see the "Jeffress hits 97-99 mph" whenever he makes a start. It always makes me wonder how many MLB starting pitchers can bring it like that. Maybe it's just me being pessimistic, but whenever I see "Jeffress hits 97-99 mph," I think there's no way that kid sticks as a starter (although him sticking as a closer would be fine with me too). However, I will say that the little bit of video of him I've seen shows that he has what looks to be a very fluid, effortless delivery. Am I underestimating him as a starter?

I don't pay enough attention to MLB baseball except for the Brewers. So my question is: how many quality MLB starters in today's game consistently/effectively hit 96+ on the radar gun?

There are zero starters who have an average fastball speed of 96+ mph this season. Link - (sort by FBv) Dustin McGowan leads the league at 95.1.

That doesn't really tell you how many can hit 96+ when they want to, but its a start in the right direction. I would guess Jeffress' fastball velocity average would sit around 92 and 93, which would put him in the top 10 to 15 in the bigs among starters.

jjfanec wrote:

Is that only for guys who did not make their beginning of the year top 100? Or did they put out another top 100 list that I have not seen?

I'm not sure exactly. They maintain top 25 and top 150 lists, but the latter hasn't been updated since February (neither Brantley nor Salome was on it).

sbrylski06 wrote:

There are zero starters who have an average fastball speed of 96+ mph this season. Link - (sort by FBv) Dustin McGowan leads the league at 95.1.

That doesn't really tell you how many can hit 96+ when they want to, but its a start in the right direction. I would guess Jeffress' fastball velocity average would sit around 92 and 93, which would put him in the top 10 to 15 in the bigs among starters.

That might be a little low, I peg his average velocity in the 94-95 range just based on what I've read, dialing it up to 99 when he reaches back.

- Plato

- Plato

Archived