Brewer Fanatic

NL Central; best division in baseball?

Nottso

Forgive me if this has been discussed already. I just got back from 2 weeks of vacation, and didn't see it as I scrolled back. As of this morning, the NL Central had the highest average winning percentage of all MLB divisions. I got this by adding each teams winning %, then dividing by the number of teams in the division (rounded to 3 decimal places via standard 5/4). Seeing as how each division will always be .500 within itself, these percentages are also "verses the rest of MLB."

AL E = .502

AL C = .490

AL W = .501

NL E = .492

NL C = .523

NL W = .448

Maybe the stat gurus have a better way of figuring it. I just thought it could make for some interesting discussion. Thoughts?

I think the AL East is definitely better. Boston, New York and Tampa Bay as well as Baltimore to a lesser extent and even Toronto isn't that bad. I think the NL Central is the second best though.

Well the Reds just took a series from the Yanks, the Cubs (the best record in baseball) were swept by the Rays, the Cards took one from the Red Sox, the Brewers swept both the Jays and the Orioles... I would say an argument could be made that we are the best division in baseball.

Well the Reds just took a series from the Yanks, the Cubs (the best record in baseball) were swept by the Rays, the Cards took one from the Red Sox, the Brewers swept both the Jays and the Orioles... I would say an argument could be made that we are the best division in baseball.

Methinks you're in denial.

Sorry, I get .542 for the AL East with your method, which would be significantly better than the NL Central. .502 seemed a little low to me when 4 of the 5 teams are over .500.

Also, here's an approach I took that ignores games within the division (because while those would all be .500 for each division, it would end up weighting it differently depending on how many games each division had played within the division). Add up the wins and losses against every division except the division in question for each team in the division. Here's the ESPN standings.

And here's the summary (as of 6/23):

AL E 130-98 .570

AL C 110-118 .482

AL W 107-106 .502

NL E 113-119 .487

NL C 141-120 .540

NL W 98-138 .415

Community Moderator

There's no doubt in my mind that the AL Central is #1 and the NL Central is #2. Seattle really brings down the AL West, but the Angels-A's-Rangers are a solid top 3 also.

I know the Brewers played well this week, but they didn't win a single game against the Red Sox.

There's no doubt in my mind that the AL Central is #1 and the NL Central is #2.

Did you mean the AL east? If so I'd agree.

I know the Brewers played well this week, but they didn't win a single game against the Red Sox.

I don't know how much you can read into that. Houston also swept us in Houston. That doesn't really mean anything. For the record I do think a full strength Red Sox team is better than the Brewers full strength but I don't think they are so far above the Brewers that we wouldn't stand a chance against them.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Methinks you're in denial.
Complete and utter! Bases-loaded, no outs, and two lefty killers due up against a glorified set-up man. I shut my eyes, KNOWING we were going to win. Right??? RIGHT?????

Brewers lost one to Baltimore. No sweep.

Let's not ignore the NL East going forward. Despite all the turmoil, the Mets are still at .500 and have talent. Despite all their injuries, the Braves are still right around .500 and have talent. And obviously the Marlins have been good, but I don't think they'll sustain it.

It's pretty clear that the AL East is the strongest.

In my opinion:

1. AL East

2. NL Central

3. NL East

4. AL West

5. AL Central (They will probably pass the AL West if Detroit continues their current tear)

6. NL West

Sorry, I get .542 for the AL East with your method, which would be significantly better than the NL Central.
Jebus. It's pretty bad when ya get so old and blind ya can't read your own handwriting. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/embarassed.gif

Let's not ignore the NL East going forward. Despite all the turmoil, the Mets are still at .500 and have talent. Despite all their injuries, the Braves are still right around .500 and have talent. And obviously the Marlins have been good, but I don't think they'll sustain it.

In addition to the above, the Phillies lead the division and are loaded with talent. They could go on a serious tear at any time.

Archived