Brewer Fanatic

Door County

cheezscott

I like staying at the bed & breakfast, Churchill Inn, in Sister Bay. I enjoy the fish boil over at the White Gull Inn in Fish Creek. That is also a decent place to stay, given the proximity to other bars/restaurants and shopping. Churchill Inn is much quieter and small. My favorite little bar to grab a beer and watch a game is the Bayside Inn, also in Fish Creek...fun, local place.

I just had an anniversary weekend in Sturgeon Bay. We stayed in a recently remodeled cabin at Cliff Dwellers. http://www.cliffdwellersresort.com/index.html It is very affordable ($140/night) and was private, yet close by to Sturgeon Bay's attractions.

We had dinner at Sage, a very upscale restaurant with great ambiance (live bass & piano) and great food. It is located on the main (old downtown) street in Sturgeon Bay. We also went to Simon Creek winery. We just chilled listening to live music overlooking the vineyard and a pond along with a bottle of very good wine.

It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to shop or gold it's different than if you want to sail or fish. Bmuch if you went to Sturgeon Bay and didn't go to the Pudgy Seagull you missed the locals dive diner. I grew up in door county and lived in Sturgeon Bay in my early 20's. Pretty much lived off the Seagull's all you can eat specials. Anytime I get back there we still have to go there just for the memories.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Bmuch if you do go there I'd be interested to know what you think. It's your basic greasy spoon sort of place but I always liked their food. I'm kind of curious if it's just memories of times past that makes me like it or if it's actually good. I do know it was, and still is, a favorite of locals. Maybe you can be my guinea pig. I haven't been to downtown Sturgeon Bay in a few years now but there was a place called the Nautical Inn that really had good food. More of a supper club than a diner. They always had great food and good atmosphere for casual dinning. That area changed a lot since my days in the hood so maybe not even there anymore. Andropolis is gone so is the Hillside diner which had the best patty melt I've ever had.

I lived up there for a couple of years. The Whitefish Dunes are pretty cool, for night life, downtown Sturgeon Bay, or Fish Creek were my pick. Carlos Benditos in Fish Creek normally has some pretty cool chill bands.

Fish Boil?

Watch the show - then go inside and order a steak!

So true. I lived there for 25 years and only ate boiled fish once. That was plenty. No matter how traditional boiled meat just isn't all that tasty.

Make sure to go to Al Johnson's in Sister Bay for breakfast and order the Sweedish pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream. If you're lucky you might even get to see the goats on the grass roof.

Me and my nice lady friend spent last weekend up there. Stayed in Sister's Bay. Few years ago we stayed north of there. Anyhoo, two things to mention: 1)there was only one place we stopped at both times, Shipwrecked Brew Pub in Egg Harbor. Pretty decent eats, but some very good home brews (particularly the Summer Wheat-went home with a 1/2 gallon).

And 2) we finally took the dive and had a fish boil, unlike last time when we watched but couldn't bring ourselves to try. And despite our apprehension, it was pretty good. White fish, whole buttered potatoes, cole slaw, bread, and a slice of genuine Door County cherry pie. Viking Grill in Ellison Bay. Oughta at least give it a try. Like I said, it was pretty good, even though we don't prefer white fish, nor any fish boiled.

Awful sad about the cherry crops this year. Shocking, really.

• 2 years later...

I would like to ressurect this topic because I need to plan a weekend in Door County for early June to celebrate our 1 year anniversary.

Does anyone have any other recommendations on places to stay, etc (that haven't already been mentioned). Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

We decided to stay in Fish Creek. We had narrowed down our search for a B&B/inn/cottage to 2 places (Thorpe House Inn and Whistling Swan Inn), but both places require a 2 or 3 night stay, and they just ended up being too expensive for us. I dont want to spend $320 on 2 night's sleep when we won't be spending a huge amount of time in the room.

I think we are going to stay at the Fish Creek Motel. From what I've read, the only knock on the place was that the rooms are old, but it has been completely remodeled since then (<1 yr ago). The location appears to be pretty much perfect for us.

If anyone has any comments on this place, I'd appreciate it.

And thanks again for all of the suggestions I have gotten. Some of the places on our agenda we got from BF.net are:

- Bayside Tavern

- Shipwrecked Brewery/Pub

- Al Johnson's

- Peninsula St Park

- Summertime Restaurant

One thing I am having trouble finding is a good place to horseback ride (besides the Kurtz Corral)

I played a few gigs at a place called Husby's in Sister Bay years ago. Not sure if it's still there, but they have some decent food and a nice atmosphere. If there's live music, that place gets packed and it's a lot of fun.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Archived