Brewer Fanatic

TW Cable vs. AT&T

colbyjack

I'm going to be moving to a new home in about three weeks, and my wife is currently trying to dig up info on the different TV/internet/phone options out there. Unfortunately I'm too busy at work right now to do my usual homework, but this forum has been a valuable resource in the past.

We have Time Warner Cable now, with the digital/DVR package. No landline phone currently, just the TV & Roadrunner service. We like it, but we're definitely interested in saving some money by going with a different provider if possible, and we definitely want to get a landline since cell phone reception is spotty and we don't want to be without a phone in the case of an emergency.

I know there have been other threads on this subject, but I went back a few pages and didn't see any, so if anyone has any opinions as to which plan is the way to go, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

I just got TWC after about 6 months of ATT (Move) from 6 years of DTV with DirectTiVo. I will say, I would in an instant switch back to UVerse if I had the chance. (Not rolled out to Shorewood yet)

The DVR is by far better then the TWC DVR. The TWC DVR is horrible. Nothing compares to TiVo but the ATT UVerse DVR wasn't totally horrible. The TWC DVR is crap.

ATT image quality is pretty good, it's outstanding SD. But just ok HD. They are supposed to roll out an update soon that will HD increase resolution.

ATT has currently 3 SD and 1 HD incoming to your connection period. That means if you have 2 HD TVs you'll only ever be able to watch 1 HD at a time. Q2 roll out of 2 HD / 2 SD Streams. It's perfect for 1 or 2 TV homes, more then that look for DTV/TWC.

All room DVR. Q3 this year ATT is supposed to roll out all room DVR. So everyone can use the DVR. Seems cool, but I have yet to experience it.

All in all, when Shorewood rolls out UVerse I will 100% be ditching this piece of crap TWC. I would switch back to DTV if I could.. but I can't. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

All in all I'll say that UVerse is really neat, but needs some work. I think if they can fix some of the issues (Limited streams and limited HD quality) they will have a killer.

Also remember, that UVerse comes with an internet connection. The biggest selling point is that they have a min of 1 mb up. Which is way faster then TWC.

Boy I'm rambling.. But here's the way I'll put it.

DTV w/ TiVo -> UVerse -> TWC.

I currently have TWC and I completely agree that their DVR is terrible. It was never that good to begin with, but ever since they changed the program they use for the dvr/on screen guide, it has gotten worse. In terms of Uverse compared to TWC, it seems that they are priced similarly but the content seems to be better on the Uverse lineup.

On a sidenote, I was wondering if anybody knows if/when Uverse will be availible in Madison.

i am looking forward to switching over to U-Verse, especially when my TWC rates are going to skyrocket after my 1-year promotion ends. However, I got a postcard in the mail last month saying something to the effect of:

"AT&T will not be servicing at _____ (my apts address) this year. Sorry for the inconvenience"

BOOOOOO

Where is here Menot? I noticed them putting in VRADs in Shorewood and around the east side. So I'm hoping they'll be able to roll out before my TWC promotional expires as well.

I just have a lot of gripes with TWC. Their on demand is setup so messed up, you have to navigate to channels to get the listings. It was much easier on UVerse, you hit the on-demand button and it brings up a listings of the networks. You just scroll to it. So much easier. UVerse didn't have HD On Demand though, but TWC listings are pretty limited.

The DVR is just balls awefull. First the remote must be designed for a person with very large hands. It could choke a donkey, it's like the original XBOX controllers. It's a minor pain, but it seems like they could simplify the remote a ton. The Guide just sucks... I can't believe it won' stretch to support 16x9. So every times you hit the guide it shrinks to what a 480 image? Ewwww... the search blows since they only have about 5 days of TV programing on it. So if a shows not airing for a week (say NBA finals pushed all your shows back) you have to wait. Yuck! The fastforward rewind implementation is just not very good. Not having the ability to switch stream on the fly to use a buffer with out using pip just stinks. And... the PIP is just horrible. Hey lets put it so it's 1/4 of the screen up, and doesn't support 16x9 so when you try to watch Brewers and the Eurocup yo uhave to choose to miss the throwing motion, or the hitter.

I hate you TWC with the fire of 10,000 suns.

sgt -

I live in Tosa, particulary, in the Tosa Village appts on 68th and state st.

a question for anyone that pays for similar services:

I get cable, DVR, HD, the package with espn in it, and business class roadrunner internet.

back when i had HBO, i pad over $140/month. i ditched the HBO stuff to get it down to around $115 per month.

I get a discount through work and called TWC and talked them down to $91 per month. in september, im sure thats going to spike back up to $115...

If I get U-verse, HD/DVR, and a speedy internet from AT&T, am I even going to pay <$100 ?

Also remember, that UVerse comes with an internet connection. The biggest selling point is that they have a min of 1 mb up. Which is way faster then TWC.

Really? I thought that the internet speed of TWC was actually one of their strong points. If UVerse is faster than TWC, that might be the biggest selling point. I'm not as concerned with the DVR functions, although AT&T has told us that they can hook up two TVs to have the service, although only one would have the DVR box (as opposed to TWC only having one TV hooked up).

TWCable's prices are getting crazy. We got a quote for around $150 for TV, internet and phone, while AT&T's was around $105. There are some hidden fees involved with AT&T, but the customer service rep said he was willing to waive those, as it's clear they're trying to get more and more customers away from TWC (for good reason).

Thanks for the tips.

Yeah i think a UVerse 300 subscription comes with a 3mb/1mb pipe. So you aren't as fast as TWC down, but you get a rock solid 1mb up. For us telecommuters it's a big plus. I think you can get the 400 series UVerse and it's a 5/1mb. There is talk about VRAD2 software update that could make the boxes pretty blazing, I'm not sure if they'd allow them to go so fast. But they think they can pump 120mbit to your house. Pretty nuts.

As far as apt buildings, I'd assume they would. That's a pretty big revenue stream they'd be losing out on. It may depend on how recent the building is wired, but I assume ATT wants to penetrate the market and will clean up and update the wiring.

I just moved into a new house that can get U-verse, it takes some getting used to after a whole life of Time Warner, but I'm starting to love it. Here's my details....

2 HD boxes (U200), DVR, and Internet for $85/month. (my house now has 2 HD streams so I can watch two HD channels in different rooms.) I got $100 cash back and for the first month I get U400 and the 2nd tier of internet, which will cost me about $25 with an additional $50 cash back.

Previously I had 1 SD box, and internet for $100 with Time Warner.

I've heard some commercials lately blasting U-verse from TW, and to me they are just comical, about how TW has free HD and ATT you have to pay. Well, if the total package price is lower after everything they your argument doesn't hold much weight. They've also been blasting how long the instillation takes. Which I agree does take a while, but I was able to call on a Friday and get an appt for the next day. Plus there are no installation fees, and we were partying it up while the installation guy was there and it was hardly an inconvienence. I love the switch!!!

erock,

thanks for the info. a few questions for you (or anyone else with U-verse):

1. what kind of internet did you get? the regular, or did you urgrade to a faster connection?

2. how does the internet speed you have with att compare with what you has with TWC? (and did you have roadrunner, RR lite, business class???

3. does the U200 HD package include ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, FSNHD? what about BTN or NFL Network???

4. does the DVR have a bigger capacity than TWC's DVR?

Menotti,

1. My internet will eventually be the "slowest" option. (the first month I needed to get the U400 and 2nd tier internet to get $100 cash back), then after the first month I'll call them up and switch to U200 and the 1st tier.

2. So far it is on par with TW and I have no complaints about the speed. I just had the normal roadrunner at the old apartment.

3. The U200 includes all the ESPN/2, FSN, BTN, and NFL in HD. The U200 package basically has all the HD channels you would like, but just no movie channels.

4. Hard to say right, now because I haven't found the actual storage capacity for the ATT DVR, but for the first month I've been recording movies from all of the free movie channels and my normal programs and have had no warnings about capacity or missed any scheduled recordings.

Hope that helps, it is nice to just finally have some more competition in the market place so hopefully those who like TW for some reason will see eventual price decreases to become more competitive. eh...but who knows.

My major concern with U-Verse is the quality of the HD signal vs. TWC & DirecTV. Just about all of the reviews that I am reading indicate that the quality is a bit below that of TWC and DirecTV. For me, I am a DirecTV customer and after reading tons of favorable customer reviews and enough bad experiences I switched from TWC in November 2007, even though I could have also gone U-Verse. However, I haven't been able to drink the D* Kool-Aid because I got so sick of dusting off the dish during the daily snow we got in Wauwatosa and I am currently not thrilled that the signal breaks up every time there is a storm in the area. On top of that, I am paying more now with D* when I factor in the Roadrunner and TV service and I no longer receive HBO or Cinemax. If I could be assured that the HD picture quality of U-Verse were comparable to D* or TWC, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

4. Hard to say right, now because I haven't found the actual storage capacity for the ATT DVR, but for the first month I've been recording movies from all of the free movie channels and my normal programs and have had no warnings about capacity or missed any scheduled recordings.

When I got it I think the guy said there was 120 hours of storage but they were hoping to get it up to 240 hours. I can't remember, that was a little over a year ago.

Archived