Mil 3-0 2-1 4-2 3-3 1-2 1-5 5-4 1-2 -- 2-1 1-1 2-1 0-0 3-0 5-4 2-2 5-6
NYM 3-3 2-7 0-2 2-1 2-2 4-2 0-0 4-3 1-2 -- 4-2 1-1 0-4 2-1 0-0 5-4 6-2
Phi 2-2 5-1 2-1 5-3 5-0 3-3 4-3 0-0 1-1 2-4 -- 2-1 2-1 3-3 1-2 3-3 2-5
Pit 2-2 5-2 3-9 4-2 0-0 2-3 2-1 1-2 1-2 1-1 1-2 -- 0-0 3-0 5-4 3-4 2-5
SD 2-4 0-3 2-5 2-2 3-3 1-2 3-3 5-4 0-0 4-0 1-2 0-0 -- 3-5 1-2 2-1 3-7
SF 4-4 0-0 0-0 1-2 5-4 1-2 1-3 1-2 0-3 1-2 3-3 0-3 5-3 -- 4-3 4-0 2-8
StL 0-0 0-0 2-1 4-2 4-3 0-0 8-4 2-1 4-5 0-0 2-1 4-5 2-1 3-4 -- 5-1 3-4
Was 1-2 5-3 2-1 0-0 0-0 1-8 1-2 0-0 2-2 4-5 3-3 4-3 1-2 0-4 1-5 -- 5-5

So the Crew is at .500 or better against all but 5 teams--Col (played in Coors), Boston (played in Fenway), Min (played at home), LAD (played at home), and Fla (series over). They are 4-14 in those games, against the other teams they are 36-20. They have just 9 games remaining against those clubs, 6 after next weeks series in the Metrodump. This next roadtrip is key as we will finish our series with the D-backs. Having 12 games remaining against the Reds and Pirates appeals to me, and 7 vs the Padres should do us well too. Hosting both Washington and Colorado for 4 game sets may work nicely...

I'm sure we all agree on how tough the next road trip could be, after that, my least favorite things will be:

9 games left on the west coast - don't show me the standings, etc, this is Milwaukee on the west coast.

3 more road games with the Braves, after this trip - the Braves have been very tough at home.

6 road games left with the Cardinals, with none left at Miller Park.

Overall, I do like the second-half schedule better than the first half, and there will be opportunities vs the two teams ahead of the Brewers in the division, but there are certainly some speed bumps out there.

Note also that the Cubs are 9-3 against the Pirates. And they have a heavier road schedule in the second half. Very similar to us last year. And we lost Sheets after the hot start.

As of this morning:

Cubs road record: 16-20

Brewers road record: 16-21

Perception isn't always the same as reality.

Chc: 9-3 against Pit

Mil: 2-1 against Pit

StL: 4-5 against Pit

That's 9 extra games against the worst team in the NL, if not baseball. The Cubs have evened out the home/away difference in the last month, but there is still the extra games against Pit, and the fact that Chc didn't have to play at Fenway. I think this is just showing that it is entirely possible for the Brewers to catch up, especially if we maintain a winning record against the Cards and Cubs.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

That's 9 extra games against the worst team in the NL, if not baseball.

As of this morning:

Pirates record 36-40

Pirates record less games vs Cubs 33-32

I say again Perception isn't always the same as reality.

That's 9 extra games against the worst team in the NL, if not baseball. The Cubs have evened out the home/away difference in the last month, but there is still the extra games against Pit, and the fact that Chc didn't have to play at Fenway. I think this is just showing that it is entirely possible for the Brewers to catch up, especially if we maintain a winning record against the Cards and Cubs.

Seven teams in the National League have a worse record than Pittsburgh, and if you go by expected W-L there are 5 teams with a worse record. They're certainly not a good team, but hardly the worst in baseball.

Note also that the Cubs are 9-3 against the Pirates. And they have a heavier road schedule in the second half. Very similar to us last year. And we lost Sheets after the hot start.

As of this morning:

Cubs road record: 16-20

Brewers road record: 16-21

Perception isn't always the same as reality.

Not sure of the point you were trying to make here? As far as I can tell, he wasn't saying that the Cubs are worse than the Brewers on the road, just that they have more road games from here on out.

That's 9 extra games against the worst team in the NL, if not baseball.

As of this morning:

Pirates record 36-40

Pirates record less games vs Cubs 33-32

I say again Perception isn't always the same as reality.

Are you suggesting the Pirates are an above average team if it wasn't for the Cubs? They'd have an even better record if you subtract the Brewers wins as well. probably a lot better record if you only count the games of sub .500 teams. I suspect most teams would look a lot better if you only counted games against sub .500 teams. Fact is the Cubs have had less games against winning teams than the Brewers have so far. Many of which came on the road. I don't know how many good teams the Cubs faced on the road yet but considering they've faced less winning teams overall that number would also be smaller than the Brewers. If the Cubs are for real, and they very well might be, that will be the next test they need to face before we just hand them the central. While the Cubs do have the advantage now I'm certainly not giving up hope.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Not sure of the point you were trying to make here? As far as I can tell, he wasn't saying that the Cubs are worse than the Brewers on the road, just that they have more road games from here on out.
Only one more road game. I think that's his point.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Only one more road game. I think that's his point

I'm sure that was his point. He did fail to mention the road games so far have been against pretty weak teams. They have only faced a 3 teams with a winning record on the road a total of 9 times all season and went 2-7 in those games. The Brewers by comparison have faced a winning team on the road 18 times and have a 7-11 record. The Cubs still have a tougher road schedule ahead to go along with that one extra road game.

I want to apologize if this is in the wrong thread, but it seems like it could work for this one, so here it goes...

As Olliegjw stated before, St.Louis has a very difficult road ahead as they have yet to play some pretty difficult teams, so I'm not as worried about them as I am with the Cubs.

I think a major determining factor of this season will come during July 24th through August 11th. The cubs essentially play 17 straight home games. Starting July 24th, they play 4 at home against Fl, then 4 at Milwaukee (which is pretty much a home game since they only have to travel 1 hour). Then they play 3 at home against Pitt, 3 at home vs. Houston and then 3 at home vs SL. This scares the B-Jesus out of me.

The Crew on the other hand start a series at home vs Houston on the 25th and 4 at home vs. Chicago. We then go to HotLanta for 3 and then at Cincy for 3 ending with 4 against Washington at home.

Seeing how amazing the scrubs are playing at home, that's 17 games that they could eventually start running away with the division. I think the teams that we play during that timespan are beatable, but I favor Chicago during that stretch.

September's schedule favors the Crew, so it will still come down to the wire.

The 2 points were strictly numbers.

I've heard/read a lot of whining about our terribly unbalanced H/A schedule to date yet we had played only 1 less road game than the Brewers.

The other point was that the Pirates are not nearly as bad a team as they have been the last few years.

And I know full well that we have a tough September. If you take a good look at results, our lead is not because we played the Pirates so many times but because we have bludgeoned the NL West. (and we still have 7 left with SF)

brewtank all the teams play the same schedule with the exception of a few interleague games. We had Boston and got swept and the cubs had Tampa and got swept. That pretty much means the two teams will have the same amount of home games and the same strength of schedule at years end. If the Cubs do win it won't be because they had an easier schedule. Remember the Cubs have to play 4 on the road against the Brewers in that stretch. If you look at the Brewers at home that is not an easy task for any club. Let alone a team that can't beat the Brewers at their place. I think sometimes we overlook the Brewers as part of other teams tough road games and overlook games against us in determining how tough a stretch of games will be for others. We have to get used to the fact that the Brewers are really good and they now are the tough part of other team's schedule.

If the Cubs do win it won't be because they had an easier schedule.
No of course not - not at the end of the year. I think the point was that to this point, some/much of the Cubs current lead can be attributed to playing an easier schedule. These things even out over the course of 162 games, and you earn the record you end up with as well as your place in the standings. Perhaps a reason for hope for the Brewers fans, is the point I believe.

I've heard/read a lot of whining about our terribly unbalanced H/A schedule to date yet we had played only 1 less road game than the Brewers.

No but you can't deny the Cubs have had a lot easier road schedule so far this year. What is the road record against winning teams? How few have there been so far? We may be in denial about the number but you seem to be in denial about how tough that road was so far.

I think the point was that to this point, some/much of the Cubs current lead can be attributed to playing an easier schedule.

He was talking about the up coming stretch from the 24th of July to August 11th. I'm not as worried about that stretch as he was since I think the brewers can have a winning road record in that period and the Cubs have to face the Brewers at home 4 games. Not an easy task for them. If we gain any ground on them then that sets up September really well.

If you eliminate the teams both the Brewers and Cubs have faced basically the same number of times (within a game or two), you are left with the Pirates (bad), Padres (bad), Colorado (bad), Florida (good), Dodgers (ok), Giants (bad), Cardinals (good). Even if you take home/road out of it, the schedule to this point definitely favors the Cubs, and its not close.

As far as games played goes, it goes like this (for the Cubs)...

Pirates +9

Padres +7

Colorado +3

Giants -3

That's 16 more games against 'bad' teams.

Florida -6

Dodgers +3

Cardinals -4

That's 7 fewer games against 'good' teams (assuming you consider the Dodgers good. If not, the schedule favors ths Cubs even more.)

There is simply no comparison of the schedules to the point, and I so believe if you even it out, the Brewers probably would be significantly closer than 6 games right now. The good news is, there are about 90 games yet to play, and it will even out, so we'll see. I still like the Cubs to win the division, but barring injuries, etc., it should probably tighten up.

Indeed backupcatchers. I am hoping the Crew has a good record during that stretch. I think my main point in that whole post was that Chi-Town has 17 home games in a row (if you include Miller Park being home games since many of the fans at MP will be scrub fans)....that's a lot of home games in a row in which the Cubs have been dominate. I'm not complaining about the schedule, just that we lose some major ground during that stretch.

Archived