Brewer Fanatic

Buster Olney's Team to watch for the 2nd half: Your Milwaukee Brewers

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we're one of the best 5 or 6 teams in the NL this season, and with the current playoff alignment, that's about all I can ask as a fan. I believe we will pass the Cards & even get close to the Cubs (to catch them they'll have to slow their pace). The good thing this season is that keeping close to the Cubs is probably going to get you to October.

If someone like Sabathia could be added, wow. Not sure what I think about that kind of deal

I think if you are Melvin, Attanasio, etc. you have to look at any acquisition in terms of not only helping you get there, but helping you win once you do. If you are going to make a move, it shold be for both reasons. I have no doubt that Jim Hendry is confident the Cubs can make the playoffs as currently constructed, However winning in the playoffs? I don't think they have the stuff for that, which is why they appear every bit as interested in adding a pitcher as the Brewers are. When you feel you are capable of making the playoffs, the goal should become to win the World Series. I think a guy like Maddux, Wolf, etc. could probably stabalize the rotation and help the Brewers get to the playoffs, but I'm not sure they do you much good come October. As much as I would like to see them in the playoffs, I'm not sure I'd be willing to give up much of anything to get a guy like that. If you think you can get a guy liek Sabathia that you truly believe makes you legitimate WS contenders (and perhaps preventing someone else from acheiving the same thing in the process), I think you pay what it reasonably costs to do so.

Do it. Bill Hall, Tony Gwynn Jr, Angel Salome -- for -- C.C. Sabathia

Please don't give up Gamel or Laporta though... even though I think that's more likely.

We could only be so lucky to have the Indians take Hall and Gwynn off our hands. I don't think anyone is that dumb though.

this thread is starting to turn into Transaction Rumors thread material.

Let's keep the discussion to "Buster Olney says the Brewers are the team to watch in the 2nd half" please.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Well I think the transaction rumors is most of the reason why the Brewers are the team to watch in the NL. If they make a deal for Sabathia, that puts them significantly higher than they are now. I am seriously going to cry if the Brewers make the playoffs. I won't be able to help it.

Lastly, I see 3 options: blockbuster, minor upgrade and doing nothing. Scratch the last option because that is suicide. Before the statties pre-emptively scorn me I will say that the unprovable psychological boost of bolstering the squad with an all-star at mid-season is a major factor in winning a penant.

Why is this "unprovable"? If such a psychological boost exists, and if it is important, it will have measurable effects. It will lead to pennant wins for active deadline teams and pennant losses for stagnant ones. What's wrong with being sceptical about something when it clearly ought to have measurable effects, but nobody can find any when they go looking for them?

I agree with naivin. Its not just about getting to the playoffs. With Sabathia and Sheets, if the Brewers can get to the playoffs, they have a legitimate chance of winning the World Series. Thats what its really all about. That is 2 legitimate aces to go with a solid lineup that should continue to improve. Even if it costs Laporta or Gamel, this is a move that the Brewers have to make.

Even if it costs Laporta or Gamel, this is a move that the Brewers have to make.
They don't have to make the move. It's as simple as that. If I were Melvin, I'd stand pat and look at giving up our other top prospects. He doesn't have to trade anyone. We are sitting 1.5 games out of the playoffs with the team we have. There is no desperation at the moment.

Brewers upping ante in C.C. talks

What if it costs LaPorta and Hardy and something else?

I am a big Escobar fan and thought Hardy would be traded within two years anyway. But LaPorta and Hardy for Sabathia?

Two players that are going to play for several more years, and one that has the potential to be like Braun, for a guy they'll only have for half a season.

I'm not sure what I think about that yet.

If they win the WS, then everything will be fine of course. But if they don't...

You know what sucks? Having to take a hit on 15 when the dealer is showing a 6. Well, man up, because that is EXACTLY where we are right now.
Only an idiot hits on 15 when the dealer is showing a 6 - I'm not sure that this is the point you were trying to make.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

You know what sucks? Having to take a hit on 15 when the dealer is showing a 6. Well, man up, because that is EXACTLY where we are right now.
Only an idiot hits on 15 when the dealer is showing a 6 - I'm not sure that this is the point you were trying to make.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

AHA! called out with just cause; kudos. I will freely admit my error, and I'm surprised it took this long to surface.

What sucks is having to hit your 16 when the dealer shows a 7. The odds are against you but it's the right thing to do. it's the only thing to do (unless you're a maverick card counter and the shoe would strongly suggest otherwise.) that was more of the point I was going for. my new thought on "being the team to watch in the 2nd half" because our team is going to be much more exciting / viable:

2006 was the year of Sheets and Ohka going down; bush, doug davis and capuano left with hendrickson, eveland and z jackson logging innings... david bell and tony graf and mench all over the place. a disappointing year all around that only (developed players and) put us in a position to draft "that guy" the following year. Well that guy, LaPorta, is viewed as a big part of the Brewers' future. but he is also a relic from that awful 2006 season.

And "that guy", nothing more than a place holder on the draft board order before Jack Z struck gold, is our reward for the humility suffered during that please-be-forgotten-soon season. we watched all that crap all season long; we got rewarded with a high pick to turn the talent tide of the 75-87 Crew. 2007's draft pick has the single-handed ability (admittedly in the right pacakge) to turn ourselves into an instant World Series contender.

Gonna love watching this team in the 2nd half after making the difficult, yet prudent, decision to deal "that guy"

TPR,

Wow . . . someone that actually admits that they were wrong - I'm impressed. Regardless of the error, I completely agree with what you are saying. To use another gambling analogy, it's time to roll the dice.

Archived