Brewer Fanatic

Buster Olney's Team to watch for the 2nd half: Your Milwaukee Brewers

Community Moderator

The question is, how much is a trip to the playoffs worth?

I think they can make the playoffs with the team that is on the field tonight. Our biggest threats to the playoffs are the Cardinals, Marlins, and Mets. Signing CC Sabathia would give us a huge edge over those teams and even increase our odds of catching the Cubs. Plus, if Sheets goes down, which could happen at any time, we have bought ourself an insurance policy instead of completely knocking ourselves out of the race.

What is LaPorta really worth to us? If we trade him for Sabathia and go on to make the playoffs, we will see a huge increase in revenue and fan interest in October that will carry over into next year and even years beyond that. That extra revenue should be able to give us enough money to re-sign Fielder, assuming he wants to come back. If we don't pull the trigger and keep LaPorta, he will remain blocked by Prince. Furthermore, we would increase our odds of missing the playoffs compared to trading LaPorta. Furthremore, either LaPorta or Fielder will have to be traded eventually, setting up the situation of either trading your franchise player or an unproven prospect.

Based on that logic, I think C.C. should be making his next start in a Brewers uniform.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why should we give up LaPorta or Gamel to get CC? Honestly what did the Mets give up to get Johan? I would rather have Johan than CC. Plus since the teams that would want CC have no high rated prospects other than the Yankees, why should we offer our highest rated when our 2nd rate prospects are better than what anyone else can give up?

Santana had a no trade clause he would only waive for a team ready to give him an extension. That pretty much limited the Twins options to like 4 teams. Sabathia can go anywhere. Think closer to what the Orioles got for Bedard.

1) Do nothing and have little or no chance at making the playoffs.

I don't see how doing nothing automatically means no playoffs. They seem to be doing pretty well so far and have the worst part of their schedule behind them.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Why should we give up LaPorta or Gamel to get CC? Honestly what did the Mets give up to get Johan? I would rather have Johan than CC. Plus since the teams that would want CC have no high rated prospects other than the Yankees, why should we offer our highest rated when our 2nd rate prospects are better than what anyone else can give up?

Santana had a no trade clause he would only waive for a team ready to give him an extension. That pretty much limited the Twins options to like 4 teams. Sabathia can go anywhere. Think closer to what the Orioles got for Bedard.

but that right there shows the folly of this kind of deal. Sabathia and Bedard aren't good enough to turn a team around. The Mariners gave the farm for Bedard and he's been average and they're the worst team in baseball.

Any pitcher can do anything for 12-15 starts (much less 3-7 starts in the playoffs), I mean, we saw Jeff Suppan and Jeff Weaver carry the Cardinals to a title in 2006 and then we saw Sabathia get teed off on to the tune of a 10.45 ERA in the 2007 ALCS.

Interesting question, what is a playoff trip worth and how would the 'Crew once they are there? CC helps 'some' make the post-season. If that happens, IMO he would help a ton in that environment.

Now, I'll admit this answer is with my heart more then head, but to me a post-season birth is worth a whole lot. Not both LaPorta and Gamal, but one...no question to me the answer is YES! Of course I'm just a fan.

but that right there shows the folly of this kind of deal. Sabathia and Bedard aren't good enough to turn a team around. The Mariners gave the farm for Bedard and he's been average and they're the worst team in baseball.

Any pitcher can do anything for 12-15 starts (much less 3-7 starts in the playoffs), I mean, we saw Jeff Suppan and Jeff Weaver carry the Cardinals to a title in 2006 and then we saw Sabathia get teed off on to the tune of a 10.45 ERA in the 2007 ALCS.

The Mariner's were in a totally different place though. At best if everything breaks right (ie Sexson returns to his 2005-2006 form not his 2007 form) they were a .500 team even with Bedard. For teh Brewers gettign that extra win is huge because it coudl easily be the difference between sitting home and being in teh playoffs.

And yes there is a huge variance in performance but you still woudlr ather have the guys with the best mean runnign out there.

I'm curious why is LaPorta untouchable, a RH power hitter, but Gamel, a LH power hitter is tradable? Long term roster management this would make no sense, Gamel is the only LH power in the entire system
This is the best point I have read. Gamel, is the best prospect, maybe in the minors today. If it happens it is going to be LaPorta and a couple token arms for C.C. With the Cards problems and management has to think we are leading the wildcard. Our window is small and support is strong. As much as we love Matt LaPorta, we gotta give to get and LaPorta is the marque name that gets this done. I think it might happen sooner then later, the Cubbies did us no favors by sweeping the Sox. 10 game back gives the GM the a.o.k.

This is the best point I have read. Gamel, is the best prospect, maybe in the minors today. If it happens it is going to be LaPorta and a couple token arms for C.C. With the Cards problems and management has to think we are leading the wildcard. Our window is small and support is strong. As much as we love Matt LaPorta, we gotta give to get and LaPorta is the marque name that gets this done. I think it might happen sooner then later, the Cubbies did us no favors by sweeping the Sox. 10 game back gives the GM the a.o.k.

Gamel is not best prospect in the minors right now. He is great but not the best. You are also undervaluing LaPorta and what he is doing. His home run numbers along with a near .300 BA and an over .400 OBP are great for a guy in his first full year of minor league ball. I know he is old for his league but I would not trade a guy with that for a three-month rental. I think LaPorta is going to be a major piece for the next 6 years, especially when Prince inevitably leaves. Even next year if Hart can cut it at CF then we have a crazy-powerful OF with Braun, Hart and LaPorta. Then we hope Gamel can stick at 3rd.

Gamel is not best prospect in the minors right now. He is great but not the best. You are also undervaluing LaPorta and what he is doing. His home run numbers along with a near .300 BA and an over .400 OBP are great for a guy in his first full year of minor league ball. I know he is old for his league but I would not trade a guy with that for a three-month rental. I think LaPorta is going to be a major piece for the next 6 years, especially when Prince inevitably leaves. Even next year if Hart can cut it at CF then we have a crazy-powerful OF with Braun, Hart and LaPorta. Then we hope Gamel can stick at 3rd.

I almost don't care how bad we'd be defensively this lineup would be crazy

Corey Hart

Rickie Weeks

Ryan Braun

Prince Fielder

Matt Laporta

Mat Gamel

JJ Hardy

Jason Kendall

Pitcher

Trading top prospects for a three month rental also significantly changes what a team can do. If C.C. guarantees you a playoff spot it's maybe one thing, but the Brewers cannot significantly risk their future for that. They have a decent shot with the team as it is.

I don't see how doing nothing automatically means no playoffs. They seem to be doing pretty well so far and have the worst part of their schedule behind them.

Agreed, Buc. There isn't any move that NEEDS!!1!! to be made. The talent assembled in Milwaukee is quite impressive imo. Just the fact that *so far*, the team has withstood the loss of a top SP like Gallardo I think is a testament to that overall talent level.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

C'mon guys, this is our chance. We cannot bank on the coming years for necessarily anything. We are there at the midway point and I believe LaPorta for a 3 month rental (Sabathia) would be OK. I also believe we should keep Gamel instead strictly because he is left_handed. We would clearly be as good or better than the Cubs if we make that happen.

I say to go for it...it has been 26 years, for gods sake.

C'mon guys, this is our chance. We cannot bank on the coming years for necessarily anything. We are there at the midway point and I believe LaPorta for a 3 month rental (Sabathia) would be OK. I also believe we should keep Gamel instead strictly because he is left_handed. We would clearly be as good or better than the Cubs if we make that happen.

I say to go for it...it has been 26 years, for gods sake.

Why mortgage the future for a slightly better chance? Look somewhere else that would want our spare parts.

Agreed, Buc. There isn't any move that NEEDS!!1!! to be made. The talent assembled in Milwaukee is quite impressive imo. Just the fact that *so far*, the team has withstood the loss of a top SP like Gallardo I think is a testament to that overall talent level.

There is no need specifically that needs to be made but I really don't see LaPorta with the Brewers in the future. I believe he was drafted as a trading chip further down the road more than anything else. I would rather see the Brewers trade LaPorta and get a guy like Sabathia or Bedard. I love Bush and Seth has worked out great so far but I don't beleive they will continue to pitch like they are right now good or bad. I would rather have Sabathia. If we lose both Sabathia and Sheets at the end of the at least we get 2 comp picks each for them.

We made the Linebrink trade last year I don't see a problem with trading away a LaPorta + for a Sabathia it makes the Brewers more of a playoff contender with Sabathia than without him.

Update from Jayson Stark:

Something brewing: Here at World Rumblings Headquarters, we're hearing the same noises that our buddy Buster Olney has been hearing -- that the Brewers loom as one of the most serious potential bidders on Sabathia, even if he's just a rent-a-starter. The Brewers have a deep system. And principal owner Mark Attanasio has made it clear to his baseball operation that it's time to go for it. So if Sabathia winds up somewhere other than Milwaukee, said one baseball man who has spoken with GM Doug Melvin, "it won't be because they're afraid to give up their prospects."

melvin himself has said that if any move is made it will be a quantity move and most likely for a number two or three type starter. gamel/laporta aren't going anywhere (not even to nashville) this season. i wouldn't trade either of them for a half season of any pitcher, anyhow. not even pedro or koufax in their primes. if we were to go after cc the most i could see us giving up is something along the lines of hall/bush/gillespie/nelson. anything more than that, no deal.

wallus wrote:

Why mortgage the future for a slightly better chance? Look somewhere else that would want our spare parts.

I am not sure I would call trading either LaPorta or Gamel mortgaging our future. I would hurt, but I am not sure how much I don't know how big of an impact those 2 will have on the MLB club. I am sure they will have some.

I think we have to go for the post season this year. Even if we are expected to have a better team next year I would say the same thing. There is no guarantee that a better team will win more games. We can't expect that every other team in the NL will stay the same or get worse. In fact I would count on many getting better. There are so many variables with injuries and player performance that when you are as close to making the postseason as we are now, we need to do as much as we can to improve our chances this year as long as it doesn't cripple our team for years to come. I don't think trading one or two of our best prospects would count as crippling the team.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

People are seriously undervaluing Laporta and overvaluing renting CC. Laporta has been Braun-esq so far in the minors. No reason to trade him when no other team is going to give up a prospect of his status. Lets trade our spare parts they can use for their rather large spare part...or not mess with success and wait until the offseason.

the thing about Laporta for Sabathia - or Gamel for that matter - is you would have to assume that a team renting Sabathia is also willing to give up as much. As I seem to remember, deadline deals of the past have been less than impressive when it comes to the haul received, which is why we have seen more offseason dealing. I am of the belief that Sabathia can be had for less than Gamel or Laporta. How much less? I dont know, but really all that Cleveland needs to get to get ahead is something better than 2 draft picks, most likely in the 20-40 range in next years draft.

Archived