Brewer Fanatic

Buster Olney's Team to watch for the 2nd half: Your Milwaukee Brewers

Seriously though I really can't think of another team that has drafted as poorly as the Cubs have.
And yet if you ask a Cubs fan they'd say they have a top notch farm system.

No we don't. Stop with this nonsense, right now. Most legit Cubs fans that follow the farm system, are VERY critical of the system, and quite frankly, we think it's an average system of prospects at best. So, IDK where you get this idea, but it's not the truth.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the question is do we want a team that is always a player short of the playoffs but a decent team every year or do we want the franchise to take a serious shot at a world championship for the sacrifice of the future.

I'm gonna wait to see where this team is in late july, but if they are within 3 games of the wild card and or division i'd be willing to roll the dice. I just want to experience the playoffs once in my life. Plus a rotation of Sheets, CC, Parra, maybe Yo, and Suppan would be one that could go up against any pontential playoff teams' rotation.

If Sabathia meant a guaranteed playoff birth then I would consider dealing Gamel and LaPorta for him. But its not a sure thing, that is why I take my chances with our current staff and keep both of our stud prospects.

It's berth.

But anyway, if you would be willing to deal two of the better prospects in all of minor league baseball for one single playoff run, I would hope that you would one day become the GM of the Cubs, Cards, Astros, Reds, or Pirates. Because that is extremely short-sighted of you.

Having those two bats in addition to what the Brewers currently have would make this lineup nearly '27 Yankees worthy. History could be made with that lineup. And you'd be willing to give that up for one single playoff berth.

I've got some nice land in Florida if you are looking to buy...

I just want to experience the playoffs once in my life.

The fact that this team hasn't met fan expectations in the past 20+ years better not have any effect on current management. The only thing they can change is the present and beyond. The past is gone. Turn the page. {/Bob Segar}

Would you rather have one flame-out run at the playoffs than a constant year-in-year-out run for the World Series? Let's look at the big picture here.

It's berth.

But anyway, if you would be willing to deal two of the better prospects in all of minor league baseball for one single playoff run, I would hope that you would one day become the GM of the Cubs, Cards, Astros, Reds, or Pirates. Because that is extremely short-sighted of you.

Having those two bats in addition to what the Brewers currently have would make this lineup nearly '27 Yankees worthy. History could be made with that lineup. And you'd be willing to give that up for one single playoff berth.

I've got some nice land in Florida if you are looking to buy...

First off I'm not sure why you felt the need to point out my error when I'm sure most know what it meant.

Second, I never said I would want to trade either Gamel or LaPorta. As a matter of fact I would much rather keep them then rent CC for half a season. I was just saying that fans who think getting CC will for sure put us in the playoffs its not a sure thing and even if it was I would only consider the deal but then think better of it because of the outstanding potential of the two studs down in AA.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Bullox, I do agree with you of the potential of this lineup with Gamel and LaPorta added if they are both up and Prince stays in Milwaukee for awhile we would be looking at this next season:

1. Weeks- 2B

2. Hardy- SS

3. Braun- LF

4. Fielder- 1B

5. Hart- CF

6. Gamel- 3B

7. LaPorta- RF

8. Kendall- C

9. Pitcher

Not bad at all.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I just want to experience the playoffs once in my life.

The fact that this team hasn't met fan expectations in the past 20+ years better not have any effect on current management. The only thing they can change is the present and beyond. The past is gone. Turn the page. {/Bob Segar}

Would you rather have one flame-out run at the playoffs than a constant year-in-year-out run for the World Series? Let's look at the big picture here.

It's Seger http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I hate when we get noticed by ESPN. Without fail it's always followed by a prolonged stretch of losing. I now know that 40-34 and being the current favorites to trade for Sabathia will be our highwater point of the season. Thanks ESPN.

What about trading Fielder for CC? I know it very well might be a stretch and to be honest I'm not 100% sold on it, but it would clearly open up positions for Gamel and LaPorta next year if Fielder is gone and they'll be cheaper options. Just a thought...

Olney elaborated on this on BBTN about 5 minutes ago and he said the Brewers have 2 things that other teams don't have both of to get the Sabathia deal done: Motivation and Prospects. He said the Cubs don't have the prospects and the Dodgers don't have the motivation to get the deal done. It was interesting to see the Yankees off the list of possible teams for Sabathia according to Olney because they are so stubborn about giving up their overrated prospects.
With that said, the Cubs are said to be focusing on other high caliber arm that is said to be available, and not CC. I fully believe the Cubs will land Rich Harden from the Oakland.

Of course you do, but didn't Cubs fans fully expect Brian Roberts to be on the team as well?

I like Sabathia but trading for him means having to resign him and it means Sheets is gone. It also means either LaPorta or Gamel are gone too. In that case I would rather just resign Sheets.

Sheets + LaPorta (or Gamel) > Sabathia.

I have to say, I just don't understand this line of thinking...and I am not icking on you, because I hear it a lot. There is a reality to all of this...First of all, Sheets will not be back next year. With his injury history, there is no way a team like the Brewers are going to give him the contract he will fetch on the FA market. So you can take that out of the equation right now. Same with resigning Sabathia. This would be a pretty straight rental situation. Therefore, the Brewers options this year are pretty simple 1) Do nothing and have little or no chance at making the playoffs. 2) Trade for a rental starting pitcher and have a realistic shot. 3) Trade for a SP who is signed for another year or two, even if not quite as good as the rental (much, much tougher to find).

I'd love it if we had a playoff caliber roster and all the minor league prosects as well, but we don't. If you want to go to the playoffs, you have to have pitching, and its gonna cost something to get it.

So the equation is more along the lines of...

Sheets + Sabathia in 2008 >>>>> LaPorta + No Sheets in 2009

Sabathia isn't going anywhere. The Indians, in case you haven't noticed, are only 6.5 games back of a very flawed White Sox team in a very winnable divsion for Cleveland. Unless they drop back to 9-10 games back by All Star game, I don't think they waive the white flag.

What about trading Fielder for CC? I know it very well might be a stretch and to be honest I'm not 100% sold on it, but it would clearly open up positions for Gamel and LaPorta next year if Fielder is gone and they'll be cheaper options. Just a thought...

It's actually enough of a match to work, and simple enough that I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up yet. Cleveland gets to re-tool with a good, major-league bat that they'd control for three years which is a good fit for them since they'll be ready to compete again next year (unlike a team like the Giants or Royals), and they can fit in Fielder however they'd like since they can have him DH. Plus, the Brewers can backfill 1B fairly well, though they'd better be darn sure that LaPorta or someone can come up an hit reasonably well to replace him for the remainder of the year.

The problem is that even thought Fielder for CC seems reasonable to us BF.netters (and even I'm not totally convinced it's a good idea), if it happened there would be an army of Brewers fans marching toward Miller Park with torches and pitchforks.

The problem is that even thought Fielder for CC seems reasonable to us BF.netters (and even I'm not totally convinced it's a good idea), if it happened there would be an army of Brewers fans marching toward Miller Park with torches and pitchforks.

Well, yeah, a lot of people would think "Same old Brewers, trading their stars away..." but the fact that we'd be getting Sabathia, who is a pretty big name in baseball, would hopefully negate that.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Unless he signs an extension, that wouldn't work well for us. We'd be giving up a huge part of our offense for a good pitcher, but would the gain from CC offset the loss from Prince? If not, you're trading away several years of production in order to not even get better this year. Paying a big price to get CC for 2 months means you'd better win in those 2 months, which becomes much harder without Prince. Sure Laporta or Gamel could play well, but they aren't advanced enough yet to assure me they wouldn't be a huge step down from Prince.

The thing is, the difference from Prince to LaPorta would probably be less than the difference between Bush/McClung to Sabathia

Of course, there are no guarantees.... and you're right. An army of Brewers fans would be marching. Why? Because they all call into the radio shows asking why the Brewers haven't signed Fielder to the same deal as Braun.

*shakes head*

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

After sleeping on the idea of getting Sabathia, it sounds exciting but I think the Brewers are best in going another direction such as Matt Cain, Zach Greinke, or Randy Wolf. They could be had for less and would be a huge upgrade over Dave Bush which is exactly what we need. It would also be insurance for when McClung comes back to earth. I would also love to get the 42 year old Greg Maddux and his 3.17 ERA for a half of a season. The Padres can't expect much in return for that old of a pitcher and if they do, they'll get laughed at.

I have a huge fear of trading LaPorta or Gamel to get Sabathia. If we acquire him it will definitely only be a rental since there is no way will pay a pitcher that is as big as Fielder and has tons of innings pitched the last few seasons. The only way I would make a trade like this is if we can avoid giving up our top prospects. I would offer a package of Hardy/Hall, Salome, Gwynn and maybe even Jeffress. Under no circumstances would I give up future superstars like LaPorta or Gamel for 2 months of anyone.

I realize that LaPorta is hitting very well in AA, but I really doubt he's Major League ready quite yet, or will be in just a couple months. Some seasoning in AAA is probably due before he starts at 1B for the Brewers.

I understand this reasoning and what Peavey said. I'm not 100% sold on it, but I just thought I'd throw out the possibility. We would also be getting back picks when CC walks so it would be Fielder for CC and picksl, which to me can improve the minors and combined with this years draft could make the Brewers farm system pretty darn good for awhile.

Unless he signs an extension, that wouldn't work well for us. We'd be giving up a huge part of our offense for a good pitcher, but would the gain from CC offset the loss from Prince? If not, you're trading away several years of production in order to not even get better this year. Paying a big price to get CC for 2 months means you'd better win in those 2 months, which becomes much harder without Prince. Sure Laporta or Gamel could play well, but they aren't advanced enough yet to assure me they wouldn't be a huge step down from Prince.

I don't disagree with what you're saying. I just think it needs to be taken into account that just because we're controlling Prince for the next few years doesn't mean it will be cheap. It will be cheaper than a free agent Prince, but in terms of cost savings now or this off-season is the ideal time to trade Prince. How big is the drop off from Prince to LaPorta or Gamel? That's a good question. Another possibility is playing Branyan some at 1B or even Brad Nelson. I know it would be a risk in trading Prince for CC, but it is worth the thought in my mind. I'm thinking the Brewers might be able to get a little bit more than CC since they would be giving up a rental for a cheaper than free agent player for 3 years.

There's also the great debate of will Fielder stay or is he happy in Milwaukee. There's real no real answer to this question unless you're the Brewers brass. The savings from Fielder's arby years would allow the team a better chance to extend Hart (and possibly have him hit clean up) and/or use some of that money for Sheets or any other player for that matter.

I fully believe the Cubs will land Rich Harden from the Oakland.

This may be true and, good for them if they do acquire Mark Prior's long lost cousin. Man, I've had Harden on my DMB team for 4 years now and his injuries frustrate beyond belief. I really hope he is truly healthy, but I'm not counting on it.

Oh, as an aside, please do not make multiple consecutive posts.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived