Brewer Fanatic

Ray Durham?

Concerning a replacement for/alternative to Weeks...

The other day in Jayson Stark's chat on ESPN.com, he mentioned that the Giants might move Ray Durham and that they "wouldn't get much back for him".

After an abysmal (and out-of-character) 2007 season, Durham has returned to form, hitting .294/.377/.406 (.783 OPS) in 68 games. Career OBP of .351. That would look really nice in the #1 or #2 slots in the batting order.

To me, Durham seems like the ideal candidate to shore up 2B (more so than Mark Grudzielanek, for certain). If Stark's assessment of his trade value is on point, would this be a guy the Brewers should be targeting?

Durham's contract expires after the 2008 season, so we don't need to worry about budget.

I see that he did leave yesterday's game with a mild ankle sprain - doesn't sound too serious.

You know something, I didn't even look at the defensive rankings, but you're absolutely right Toby. Grudz is #2 in range factor and zone rating for all of MLB second basemen, while Ray-Ray is dead last in both.

I was mainly intrigued by the OBP and the fact that (per Stark) Durham could be had cheaply. But I suppose the same could be said for Grudz.

Edit: clarity

Archived