Brewer Fanatic

The CC Sabathia thread: Latest - CC a Brewer! (part 1)

Haudricourt is probably as ansy as we are for this with the amount of updates that he seems to be throwing out there. It's almost like he's doing that just for us. What a swell guy. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess he could but has he ever played there?

First base isn't exactly rocket science. He should pick it up fairly quickly if the Brewers decide to move him there.

Maybe have Gamel in AAA next year to learn 1B and have Nelson up at 1B next year.

I'm almost positive that they would keep Prince next year if they were having Gamel learn first base in Nashville.

Some think that Shapiro wouldn't do a deal around guys like Salome/Brantley/Gillespie because "Shapiro doesn't have to deal Sabathia, he can just take the picks" These guys think that the two picks which would be two late 1st rounders would be closer to the bigs and better than Salome, Pena, etc.
I think that is the correct offer to make. (Unless you throw in Braddock or Cain somewhere) That is miles better than the two compensation picks that Indians receive. (Plus we save the Indians $5 Million dollars by paying CC the rest of the year) Another team could offer a package that included a better "central piece", but ours would have the most overall talent.

I am thinking I can live with giving up LaPorta straight up. He doesn't really have a home, as he isn't a natural OF. But that means we need to keep Prince until he hits FA. I would rather have LaPorta at 1B, and trade Prince for starting pitching that is going to stay for a long time.

Green is untouchable to me. I know he isn't on the same level as LaPorta/Gamel/Escobar yet, but he plays a very important position for the Brewers. Green can play 2B and potentially replace Weeks. (Name any other prospect that has a legitimate chance to replace Weeks?) Green is also our back-up 3B in case Gamel can't stick at 3B.

And the weakest positions on the Brewers right now are 3B and 2B. I am not interested in trading away our prime contender. At least trading away LaPorta is dealing from a position of strength. (OF)

Haudicourt on 540 just said he would expect a deal to be done before Sabathia's next turn in the rotation. His latest source is saying LaPorta, Green, and possibly lower level prospect for Sabathia but they told the Indians that this is only going to be offered for a limited time and then it is off the table. It is getting interesting.

Every start Sabathia makes for Indians, reduces his value to the Brewers. I'm a little worried that Haudricourt has the list, because it could mean that Melvin is floating the names to make it look like he's making this great effort.

Alicides Escobar would be low-risk in any deal, if you ask me. Signing JJ Hardy to a long-term deal (say 7 years, $32 million) kinda deals with shortstop for a long time. I just don't think Escobar has the pop to be a long-term SS in the majors. If I'm going to have to replace JJ Hardy in threee years, I'll plug Taylor Green in at short.

As for LaPorta... in one sense, I hate to trade him, but in another, I think that if he were to replace Prince at first, then the Brewers are just tiled too far to right-handed batters. He is far more "expendable" trade-wise than Gamel or Taylor Green (who I think could be a better replacement at shortstop for JJ than Escobar).

That said, I'd probably lead with Escobar, Dave Bush, and Cole Gillespie. If tghe Brewers can sign Sabathia to an extension, then they send LaPorta. If not...

Some think that Shapiro wouldn't do a deal around guys like Salome/Brantley/Gillespie because "Shapiro doesn't have to deal Sabathia, he can just take the picks" These guys think that the two picks which would be two late 1st rounders would be closer to the bigs and better than Salome, Pena, etc.
I think that is the correct offer to make. (Unless you throw in Braddock or Cain somewhere) That is miles better than the two compensation picks that Indians receive. (Plus we save the Indians $5 Million dollars by paying CC the rest of the year) Another team could offer a package that included a better "central piece", but ours would have the most overall talent.

I am thinking I can live with giving up LaPorta straight up. He doesn't really have a home, as he isn't a natural OF. But that means we need to keep Prince until he hits FA. I would rather have LaPorta at 1B, and trade Prince for starting pitching that is going to stay for a long time.

Green is untouchable to me. I know he isn't on the same level as LaPorta/Gamel/Escobar yet, but he plays a very important position for the Brewers. Green can play 2B and potentially replace Weeks. (Name any other prospect that has a legitimate chance to replace Weeks?) Green is also our back-up 3B in case Gamel can't stick at 3B.

And the weakest positions on the Brewers right now are 3B and 2B. I am not interested in trading away our prime contender. At least trading away LaPorta is dealing from a position of strength. (OF)

As long as they have Escobar and Hardy, you shouldn't worry. Hardy could easily slide over to 3B and the way he's swinging the bat now, he's proving to have the lumber for a more offensive position. If Gamel can play third, Escobar could slide over to 2B. If not, 2B is by far the easiest position to find decent available talent.

All you guys fearing this deal need to look at Randy Johnson to Houston deal in 1998, Sabathia can have that kind of impact. Johnson went 10-1 for the Astros. The other suitor for him that summer were the Cubs who the Astros easily held off thanks in large part to that deal. Houston gave up more quality than the Brewers are talking about (Freddy Garcia and Carlos Guillen), yet it didn't ruin their future as they won the division the next year in 1999 and several more times shortly after.

As long as they have Escobar and Hardy, you shouldn't worry. Hardy could easily slide over to 3B and the way he's swinging the bat now, he's proving to have the lumber for a more offensive position. If Gamel can play third, Escobar could slide over to 2B. If not, 2B is by far the easiest position to find decent available talent.

I'd rather trade Escobar. The Brewers would, at this point, be selling him high.

Alicides Escobar would be low-risk in any deal, if you ask me. Signing JJ Hardy to a long-term deal (say 7 years, $32 million) kinda deals with shortstop for a long time. I just don't think Escobar has the pop to be a long-term SS in the majors.
As a 21-year old in Huntsville, Escobar is slugging .446.

As a 20-year old in Huntsville, JJ slugged .428

Escobar has added a lot of pop in his bat this bat year alone. (HR already - compared to 1 last year)

Hardy has already lost quite a bit of range in the field. He has had a fair share of injury problems. (His shoulder must have been bothering him more than he let on early in the season)

-----

Continued here:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=30564

Archived