Brewer Fanatic

The CC Sabathia thread: Latest - CC a Brewer! (part 1)

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even if it is jet-lagged, I will tell myself anything I want to keep me intersted in this story. This is really exciting stuff

It's gotten so bad I'm even checking the ESPN boards. At least I saw this cool post there:

As an Indians fan, I've come to accept the fact that Sabathia will be traded. It's definitely hard to come to grips with that given he's been an Indian since 2001 as a 20-year-old kid. BUT...that's just the nature of the business.

In any event, I know I speak for the overwhelmingly vast majority of Cleveland fans when I say I hope Milwaukee is the team we seal the deal with. Aside from the excellent, young talent we would receive in return, I think there's definitely a mutual respect between fans of the two cities. Milwaukee and Cleveland are similar in many ways and I think fans of both sides understand this. The fan turnout for the LAA-CLE series at Miller Park last year was awesome. Very obvious both fanbases share the same type of passion for the sport.

So hopefully both sides can get a deal worked out in the near future. In which case, we'll definitely be pulling for CC and the Brew Crew to go all the way.

Good luck the rest of the season.

Anyway, I've done more than my fair share in accidentally turning this from the "C.C. Sabathia Thread" to the "C.C. Sabathia Excitement Thread" so I apologize and sign off for the night

I swear to god I'll have a mental breakdown if any of the names Gamel, Laporta or Escobar are included in this deal. It will haunt us for the rest of time....mark it down. I just hope everyone who is calling for this trade remembers what you asked for when all 3 of those players are all-stars.

Don't give me this...."It's a risk we have to take"......NO IT ISN"T. This is not our year....plain and simple. We shouldn't be reaching this year....way to many holes. Small market teams can't afford to mortgage the future for a 2 month rental.

This will turn into the worst trade in franchise history....you heard it here first.

I swear to god I'll have a mental breakdown if any of the names Gamel, Laporta or Escobar are included in this deal. It will haunt us for the rest of time....mark it down. I just hope everyone who is calling for this trade remembers what you asked for when all 3 of those players are all-stars.
To be fair, if all three of those players are all-stars, we'll still have the 2 we don't trade to The Cleve, won't we?

ELCABALLO45[/b]]We are not a small market team

we sure aren't large market.....who's the last "big name" free agent we signed long term? Hammonds, Suppan????? We can't compete with big clubs for big money...plain and simple.

We need to develop from within and acquiring Sabathia is far from guarenteeing anything. If we aquired Sabathia and we didn't make the playoffs (which we won't) I'd drive to Milwaukee and kick Melvin right in the pills.

Don't give me this...."It's a risk we have to take"......NO IT ISN"T. This is not our year....plain and simple. We shouldn't be reaching this year....way to many holes.

Is there a National League team without holes? Remember, Sheets will likely be gone next season and Gallardo will be coming off of major surgery. It's time to roll the dice and take a shot -- Sheets and Sabathia would make for a formidable rotation, and would vastly improve the chances of making the playoffs.

ELCABALLO45[/b]]We are not a small market team

we sure aren't large market.....who's the last "big name" free agent we signed long term? Hammonds, Suppan????? We can't compete with big clubs for big money...plain and simple.

We need to develop from within and acquiring Sabathia is far from guarenteeing anything. If we aquired Sabathia and we didn't make the playoffs (which we won't) I'd drive to Milwaukee and kick Melvin right in the pills.

Ryan Braun seems like a good player we signed long term. And just because we don't sing guys to stupid amount of money does not mean we can't compete.

And if you don't think we will make the playoffs, why are you even here? I think we have a good shot making the playoffs with Sabathia. It sure would help.

Don't give me this...."It's a risk we have to take"......NO IT ISN"T. This is not our year....plain and simple. We shouldn't be reaching this year....way to many holes.

Is there a National League team without holes? Remember, Sheets will likely be gone next season and Gallardo will be coming off of major surgery. It's time to roll the dice and take a shot -- Sheets and Sabathia would make for a formidable rotation, and would vastly improve the chances of making the playoffs.

and if we don't our future is doomed for another 26 years.

ELCABALLO45 wrote: Ryan Braun seems like a good player we signed long term. And just because we don't sing guys to stupid amount of money does not mean we can't compete.

And if you don't think we will make the playoffs, why are you even here? I think we have a good shot making the playoffs with Sabathia. It sure would help.

I'm here because I'm a fan of the team....I just don't think we're a playoff team this year....alright with you? I also don't think aquiring Sabathia would drastically improve our team.

Now if you're talking about trading Rickie Weeks for Brian Roberts or something like that...I'm down. We need a lead off hitter...that will drastically improve our team. 1 starting pitcher is not going to "catapult" us to the playoffs.

If you could pull off the deal by dealing only ONE of Gamel/LaPorta/Escobar to acquire a second ace for three months, the future is certainly not doomed. These guys are not proven commodities at the ML level-- they are not guaranteed All-Stars by any means. CC Sabathia won the AL Cy Young last year. His acquisition would improve the chances of winning the Wild Card.

Now if you're talking about trading Rickie Weeks for Brian Roberts or something like that...I'm down. We need a lead off hitter...that will drastically improve our team. 1 starting pitcher is not going to "catapult" us to the playoffs.

Swapping CC Sabathia for Dave Bush/Seth McClung in the rotation would likely be more beneficial than adding Brian Roberts. Besides, a lead-off hitter matters only one time in a game. It would not "drastically" improve our team. As somebody else indicated (I think, regarding Mota, the Brewers brass isn't screwing around. CC improves this rotation in the attempt of winning the WS THIS year).

ELCABALLO45 wrote: Ryan Braun seems like a good player we signed long term. And just because we don't sing guys to stupid amount of money does not mean we can't compete.

I'm here because I'm a fan of the team....I just don't think we're a playoff team this year....alright with you? I also don't think aquiring Sabathia would drastically improve our team.

But we are not talking about trading Rickie Weeks for Brain Roberts.

That 1 starting pitcher won the Cy Young last year in the AL. Sheets and Sabathia would be one of the best 1-2 punches in the NL. It would also help out the Brewers bullpen by moving a starter that we currently have and move him to the pen. We still have half a season to go. Getting Sabathia would increase our chances alot.

and if we don't our future is doomed for another 26 years.

I'm not fond of the idea of trading any of Laporta, Gamel, or Escobar, but that's some serious over exaggeration to say one poor trade would doom the franchise for decades.

If you could pull off the deal by dealing only ONE of Gamel/LaPorta/Escobar to acquire a second ace for three months, the future is certainly not doomed. These guys are not proven commodities at the ML level-- they are not guaranteed All-Stars by any means. CC Sabathia won the AL Cy Young last year. His acquisition would improve the chances of winning the Wild Card.

These aren't just your run of the mill prospects....I have a serious man crush on LaPorta and Gamel....I will cry myself to sleep. They are going to be stars. Not sure about Escobar quite yet, although I love his upside.

The same thing was said about Hardy, Fielder, Hart and Braun, I think that's worked out alright. We knew they were going to be good Major League players and sure enough they are.

I'd trade weeks for a snot rag right now.....he will not live up to potential. I think we should package him and call up Escobar.

I'm not fond of the idea of trading any of Laporta, Gamel, or Escobar, but that's some serious over exaggeration to say one poor trade would doom the franchise for decades.

I've been a brewers fan for over 20 years...I think it's justified.

Gamel/LaPorta/Escobar are prospects. And they have "upside", sure. But using your logic, what if one of them turns out just like Rickie Weeks? I'm not crazy about trading any of them, but I believe that CC Sabathia makes the Brewers a serious title threat. Winning the WS is the ultimate goal, isn't it? It's not just about crossing our fingers that these prospects pan out (although they do look quite promising).

My point is ONE starting pitcher is not going to drasically improve our club or chances of making the playoffs

A strengthened rotation will improve this rotation. Sabathia and Sheets are two lights out starters. It gives us a significant advantage over St. Louis, the Mets, Florida, etc.

I'm not questioning your fandom by any stretch (believe me, I've done my suffering over this team), but doesn't being so close excite you? Acquiring Sabathia is huge. This is tangible -- with CC, I believe the playoffs become a much greater reality, and in turn, so does a World Series appearance.

But we are not talking about trading Rickie Weeks for Brain Roberts.

That 1 starting pitcher won the Cy Young last year in the AL. Sheets and Sabathia would be one of the best 1-2 punches in the NL. It would also help out the Brewers bullpen by moving a starter that we currently have and move him to the pen. We still have half a season to go. Getting Sabathia would increase our chances alot.

My point is ONE starting pitcher is not going to drasically improve our club or chances of making the playoffs. I think it's safe to say Manny gave us a pretty solid pitching performance tonight....didn't quite seem to matter.

We need bullpen help and a lead off hitter.

bucks2281[/b]]Gamel/LaPorta/Escobar are prospects. And they have "upside", sure. But using your logic, what if one of them turns out just like Rickie Weeks? I'm not crazy about trading any of them, but I believe that CC Sabathia makes the Brewers a serious title threat. Winning the WS is the ultimate goal, isn't it? It's not just about crossing our fingers that these prospects pan out (although they do look quite promising).

I agree the ultimate goal is to win the World Series....that's why I'm dead set against this deal. We are not a championship caliber club this year. What good would Sabathia have done us last night....ZERO. Championship teams don't lose games like that, plain and simple. We need bullpen help and a leadoff hitter....that is where the need is.

If we aquired Sabathia and we didn't make the playoffs (which we won't)

What's with this? We're currently 4.5 games out of the division and two games out of the wildcard. You can argue the merits of giving up six years of a LaPorta or a Gamel but saying for sure we won't make the playoffs is a weak argument.

Now if you're talking about trading Rickie Weeks for Brian Roberts or something like that...I'm down. We need a lead off hitter...that will drastically improve our team.

And C.C. Sabathia starting in place of Dave Bush or Seth McClung won't improve the team?

They are going to be stars.

Just like Andy Marte was going to be a star. Look, I know we need to keep the farm system stocked with replacements and that we aren't the Yankees and can't go out and sign big name free agents but we haven't been to the playoffs in over 25 years. We have a ton of depth in the farm system and we're withing 5 games of the division lead and two games of the wildcard. With Sheets' impending free agency and the likelihood that he won't be back NOW is the time to make a big trade to go all in. If we lose Sheets after the year and don't make the playoffs this year and go into next year with a rotation of Gallardo/Parra/Suppan/McClung/Bush what are fans going to say? And it's not like we won't get draft picks to restock the farm system. Could they be busts? Yes. Could LaPorta or any other prospect we trade for Sabathia be a bust? Yes. Is it more likely that LaPorta becomes a solid major leaguer than a guy we draft with one of the picks next year? Probably. Is the risk worth the potential reward of watching your favorite baseball team in the playoffs for the first time in 26 years and in some cases for the first time ever? Definitely.

What good would Sabathia have done us last night....ZERO. Championship teams don't lose games like that, plain and simple. We need bullpen help and a leadoff hitter....that is where the need is.

Well, adding another arm rotation allows flexibility in moving a rotation arm to the pen to rid the team of the scourge of Mota.

But yeah, honestly, if either LaPorta or Gamel get moved in a deal without at least something other than Sabathia coming back, I think the club would regret it.

We won't make the playoffs with a rotation of

Sheets

Parra

Suppan

McClung

Bush

Im sorry, we just won't.

And if we made the playoffs this year, having Sheets and Sabathia atop of the rotation gives us a REAL chance to win the whole thing. That's 2 Ace's we could match with anyone (Including Webb and Haren)

Archived