Brewer Fanatic

The CC Sabathia thread: Latest - CC a Brewer! (part 1)

According to Rosenthal at Foxsports...Laporta and Escobar to CLE for CC...

-----But if the Brewers indeed were willing to give up both LaPorta and Escobar, the Sabathia sweepstakes might be over before they started.

"I can not imagine anyone would top that," the first source said.

The second added, "That deal should get it done."

I highly doubt that's the offer. He pieced two sources together to come up with LaPorta+Escobar, and if we go back a few pages to another source that listed five prospects of which the Indian's could choose one, I think the latter rumor is still the more accurate one.

If that is the offer, I'll be a lot less excited. From "nice move," to "now we have to wait and hope we didn't screw up big time."

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are in third place in our division. Why would you sacrifice the future of your franchise for 3 months of a pitcher?

I would completely take LaPorta, Escobar, Gamel, Green and Jeffress out of the conversation. I wouldn't trade any one of them straight up for 3 months of C.C. Sabathia. (They all look like legit MLB players who will play very cheaply for 6 years!)

I would offer Salome, Gillespie and Nelson. (Cain could also be in the conversation)

- Salome has defensive issues - and Lucroy is only a step lower than him. (And the same age)

- Gillespie is completely blocked, but looks like a legitimate prospect

- Nelson is a quality bench player.

When was the last time a rental player received that much talent. This talk of LaPorta and Escobar is insane!

Just adding...

If we traded two from the LaPorta/Gamel/Escobar/Green/Jeffress/Salome group - I will forever lose faith in Doug and hope he soon gets fired.

(Strong supporter of "In Doug We Trust" since 2005)

I think Brewer fans are really Lucky when it comes to prospects (recently)

Fielder

Braun

Hart

Gallardo (Pre Injury)

Hardy

Its possible that LaPorta or Escobar or Gamel or Jeffress or Salome or Green could turn out to be not as good as we think they will be.

Just adding...

If we traded two from the LaPorta/Gamel/Escobar/Green/Jeffress/Salome group - I will forever lose faith in Doug and hope he soon gets fired.

Same here, if both of those guys are traded for just Sabathia I'll be upset

Just adding...

If it's two, sure. If it's just one of em, i can handle that.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

"We might not have to give up LaPorta or Gamel? Wahoo! Wait, that means Salome, damn. What, they're interested in someone else? Alright! Oh, Taylor Green, crap..."

It's fun to have cool toys. I know exactly what you mean with this quote.

Man, I'm getting pretty excited. I have a feeling this will be going down soon.

Yeah... if this happens for the Crew, it's happening soon. Doug's comments are priceless.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

My fav Doug quote was...

"Asked about Cleveland having interest in specific players in his system, Melvin said, "I can't comment on that. There's probably a lot of clubs looking at our guys."

Here in Milwaukee our prospects are better than yours, and we know it

If laporta and escobar are offered. CC would, without a doubt in my mind, be in a brewer uni by Sunday. So, we won't have to wait very long if this is true. As time goes on, the less they get for CC.

I would reckon that the indians might send a reliever (kobyashi, perez) along as well. And the brewers include another minor player.

Absolutely NO WAY I would give them Escobar with LaPorta.

Yep, i'd be very bothered by that

The thing is, even if Sabathia pitches well for us, it doesn't guarantee anything. The offense could have some off games or the pen blow leads like today. Each start that CC made where the Brewers didn't win the game is one wasted start in the loss of two high end prospects that we would have controlled for 6 years a piece.

If we were getting Sabathia at the start of this season or doing a trade like Arizona did to acquire Haren who had multiple years on his deal, then i'd be much more inclined to give up two top prospects like Escobar and Laporta. Plus, this trade wouldn't account for fixing the back end of the bullpen that could go on blowing games that we'd gain from acquiring Sabathia. Unless of course Doug gutted the farm system by also getting Fuentes.

The thing is, even if Sabathia pitches well for us, it doesn't guarantee anything.

No, but it definitely increases our odds, which is about all that Melvin can do. I doubt we see worse results from the pen for any one inning than it was today again this season. That was tragically bad. Don't forget that we'll recoup two high-end prospects that we control for just as long as anyone we give up. It's win-win imo. Add a legit #1 or #2 type SP by dealing two prospects, with a guaranteed return of two high-end prospects. Also, the point that it'd keep Sabathia from going elsewhere is very valid. Iirc Taylor could've drafted CC, and passed. Right the wrong!

Plus, this trade wouldn't account for fixing the back end of the bullpen that could go on blowing games that we'd gain from acquiring Sabathia. Unless of course Doug gutted the farm system by also getting Fuentes.

Trading for Fuentes could actually be more costly than trading for Sabathia. With both Boston and Tampa Bay looking at Fuentes it could get real ugly and real fast to for the Brewers. I would be more content with what we have right now even just keeping Mota in the pen for blow out games only. Mota would only see the mound if we were up by 8+ runs or down by 6 or more runs.

Just adding...

I'm fine with trading LaPorta and Salome... they are both replaceable by other guys in the system. You can fit Gamel, Escobar and Green on the diamond at the same time, but LaPorta is limited to the corner OF and 1B (where Gamel can also play) and Salome has Lucroy and soon Lawrie hot on his tail. I would not trade Jeffress.

Don't forget that we'll recoup two high-end prospects that we control for just as long as anyone we give up. It's win-win imo. Add a legit #1 or #2 type SP by dealing two prospects, with a guaranteed return of two high-end prospects. Also, the point that it'd keep Sabathia from going elsewhere is very valid. Iirc Taylor could've drafted CC, and passed. Right the wrong!

A guaranteed return of two high end prospects?

Jack Zduriencik has done a great job, but he's certainly has had his share of high round busts, the two extra picks are from from being guaranteed high end prospects.

I'm not 100% against trading for Sabathia, but just looking at the history of trade deadline deals, it's far more rare than common that the team trading for the vet and giving up the prospects ends up getting what they hoped for out of the trade. Maybe the Brewers would buck that trend and Sabathia leads us to the playoffs. If history showed better results from these kind of trades for the trading team, i'd be less worried that we'd end up regretting this trade for a long time.

Oh well, we shall see because it sure feels like we are going to trade for Sabathia. Maybe i just need to get the black cloud feelings out of the picture where i fear we make the trade, miss the playoffs by a game or two, and Laporta and/or Escobar becomes a stud for Cleveland.

Well we updated it a few hours ago. It's going to need another update because this story has some huge news.

The Brewers' offer for Sabathia includes Class AA left fielder Matt LaPorta, according to sources with two other clubs that are interested in acquiring the pitcher.

Class AA shortstop Alcides Escobar also may be in the Brewers' proposed deal, one of the sources says.

The Brewers likely would prefer to substitute a lesser player for Escobar, or perhaps would insist upon additional talent if the Indians demanded his inclusion. But if the Brewers indeed were willing to give up both LaPorta and Escobar, the Sabathia sweepstakes might be over before they started.

"I can not imagine anyone would top that," the first source said.

The second added, "That deal should get it done."

Link to Rosenthal's story

Sorry to burst your bubble but this is already old news...this story's got legs and they're moving a million miles an hour

I do hope that Rosenthal's just throwing things against the wall, either Escobar or LaPorta leaving I can deal with (even for three months---this is the Cy Young winner who's been going deep and dominant and we are, yes, are in a pennant race), but both is a jagged pill to swallow.

Mongo like C.C.

This is really getting me excited. Furthermore, I feel the United States of America deserves Sabathia-to-Milwaukee as a birthday present. It's the only patriotic thing to do.

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/7/3/iwantyoucc128596262016689536.jpg

A guaranteed return of two high end prospects?

Nothing is guaranteed. But two comp picks are certainly high-end picks, which is your best chance at high-end prospects. All Melvin can do is try to give the Brewers organization the best odds at success that he can. And if the choice is keeping LaPorta + another prospect, or adding Sabathia & two high draft picks, to me, the latter is a no-brainer.

Archived