Brewer Fanatic

The CC Sabathia thread: Latest - CC a Brewer! (part 1)

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why not throw Dave Bush into the deal as well?? Not saying Cleveland would be interested but why not?? If the Brewers got CC, it would be to take Bush's spot in the rotation anyway, and it adds another player to the deal. Whatever it takes to help get it done.

TH's whole blog posting really made the deal seem more tangible to me. Of course, they could just be "scouting a lot of guys" in the normal manner, etc., but the vibe appears to be slightly more serious (that just talk radio and internet chatter).

It seems to be much more serious. Everybody at ESPN is on this, the Brewer brass had a long meeting before the game, after which they acknowledged discussing pitching (they really can't take it any further than that with another team's player), and we know for certain that Cleveland has scouts watching both Huntsville and Brevard County.

This is a lot more than just an idea.

FYI, Olney pointed out, if the Brewers get Sabathia, and if both Sabathia and Sheets walk, the Brewers could own five of the first thirty-five picks next year. That would present multiple issues on the pitching front, but it certainly is interesting.

Doug, don't stop, after you get your starter, for gosh sakes, get someone for the 8th innings!

Yeah if Green could be the center piece with a couple other guys I would do it in a second. But if they want a Matt, I would have to think hard about it. But I guess if I had to give up one them it would be LaPorta. Gamel hits for a higher average, almost as much power and is a lefty bat. You keep him.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Just say no to another rental reliever! I say no to Fuentes.. many people probably haven't noticed by Pena's numbers in the closer role are fantastic, for whatever reason he doesn't pitch the same when he's "just getting work". I think if he doesn't get moved I'd rather try him than dump prospects for 30 innings. I wonder if Mota would refuse assignment if DFA'd?

If the Brewers wouldn't give up Gamel or LaPorta for Sabathia, why would they move them for reliever? That part makes no sense to me. If you move them for Fuentes, what's left to address the starting rotation for 09?

Green is interesting as a centerpiece for Sabathia, but that totally blows away him being my 2B of the future. I wouldn't mind giving up Brantley or Salome either. An American league team probably makes the most sense for Angel given his defensive shortcomings... they can always DH him for his bat.

edit. Fuentes would most likely be a type A? That would be 6 comp picks, and while that would be fantastic, that's also a ton of bonus money up front. Essentially most of the savings with Gagne's contract coming off the books would be eaten up bonuses for the draftees.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

many people probably haven't noticed by Pena's numbers in the closer role are fantastic

A 1.56 WHIP and over 6 walks per 9 innings in the minors is fantastic? Apparently you and I have two different meanings of that word.

Apparently you didn't read the rest of my statement.

many people probably haven't noticed by Pena's numbers in the closer role are fantastic, for whatever reason he doesn't pitch the same when he's "just getting work"

If you're going to cherry pick, at least pull the whole statement. It's easy to look at his numbers on the whole and dismiss what he's done, it's not that cut and dried. Stan Kyles talked for some time about Pena in one of the Nashville pregame interviews recently.

edit. Fixed weird italics and repeated sentence.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Tom Oates wrote this in the July 1 Wisconsin State Journal regarding why he feels the Brewers wouldn't be able to trade for Sabathia. I read it and thought it wasn't that well thought out.

First, Cleveland might not deal him.

OK, granted this was written two days ago, but Cleveland has the second worst record in the AL, are last in the Central and are 12 games back of Chicago. Looks like selling time to me.

Second, the Brewers aren't the only contender sniffing around for pitching help.

True, but can other contenders put together the same kind of package that the Brewers can? He mentions Boston, Philly, Chicago, the Dodgers, the Yankees and Tampa Bay as other suitors. In all reality, TB is the only one that could put together the same kind of package, but they have very good starting pitching and will probably fill from within with David Price at some point.

Third, the Brewers might be priced out of the market.

Oates says that C.C. would net a larger return if the team trading for him signs him to a contract. Sabathia, if I'm right, doesn't have a no-trade clause, so why would the team have to agree to a new contract? He has no leverage to force them to. Besides, why wouldn't he test the market? He'd make more with more teams competing for his services without trading prospects. Also, just because he would sign a contract doesn't mean the price would go up, look at the Johan Santana trade. Not only that, even the last part of his $11 million salary for this year shouldn't be an issue because Attanasio said there is the flexibility for it.

Finally, Brewers general manager Doug Melvin might not be willing to give up what Cleveland wants in return.

I guess there's no way to prove this, other than Melvin saying that if help was available, he wouldn't hesitate to do it for the right price.

I don't know why I felt compelled to comment on this, it just seemed hastily thrown together and not well thought out.

According to Rosenthal at Foxsports...Laporta and Escobar to CLE for CC...

-----But if the Brewers indeed were willing to give up both LaPorta and Escobar, the Sabathia sweepstakes might be over before they started.

"I can not imagine anyone would top that," the first source said.

The second added, "That deal should get it done."

These trade talks have taught me just how in love I am with most of our current prospects.

"We might not have to give up LaPorta or Gamel? Wahoo! Wait, that means Salome, damn. What, they're interested in someone else? Alright! Oh, Taylor Green, crap..."

Archived