Brewer Fanatic

The CC Sabathia thread: Latest - CC a Brewer! (part 1)

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arroyo would certainly be cheaper, but he's also been pretty bad this year- Bush has actually out performed him to date.

If the team is really looking to upgrade the rotation, they're going to have to look at a guy like Sabathia and they're going to have to pay considerably to get him (or a guy like him).

He's signed for 9.5 million next year and 11 million in 2010, with a 2 million buyout or 11 million option. So he'd be guaranteed 22.5 million over the next two years to be worse than Dave Bush if he doesn't rebound.

Arroyo would certainly be cheaper, but he's also been pretty bad this year- Bush has actually out performed him to date.

If the team is really looking to upgrade the rotation, they're going to have to look at a guy like Sabathia and they're going to have to pay considerably to get him (or a guy like him).

What do you mean pay considerably? Gillespie and Tim Dillard? Jonathon Lucroy and Hernan Irribarren? I proposed a Hall/Villy/LaPorta trade for sabathia and Andy Marte earlier this season and that idea was roundly panned by pretty much everyone as way too much and an all around terrible idea. At this point, Villanueva and Hall have little value when it comes to being replaceable through our system.

If you try to get Sabathia, you're competing with two things:

1. Offers from other teams.

2. The perceived value of the draft picks Cleveland would get if they keep him through the season.

Whatever the offer is, it's either three (or more) solid prospects, or it's proven players who are ready to help now. I have a feeling the bidding will be quite high.

If the Cubs make a serious run at Sabathia, I wonder if the Crew would be willing to get into a bidding war and try to steal him away. If they are within striking distance of first place, I could see Attanasio giving Melvin the green light to try and pull this one off. With the possibility of trading Felder in the off season, that would free up at least $10 million to put towards re-signing Sheets and/or Sabathia if they aquire him. It would make for one nasty rotation with Yo, Parra and Suppan for the next few years, and I would think LaPorta or Gamel would be a nice fit a first base (assuming both are not involved in a trade).

What do you mean pay considerably?

I would think Gamel/Escobar and a pitcher would be a pretty solid starting point. If we're really looking to upgrade the rotation, it's almost certainly going to have to involve one of our top 5 prospects, even if it's for a rental player.

That said, two comp picks at the end of the year would help offset that to some degree.

I would be reluctant to trade for a pitcher who would almost certainly be gone at the end of the year? You thought the Linebrink trade was bad, that would be nothing (unless of course, it leads to a WS, then of course it's worth it).

I think the fact that Doug didn't flat out deny he would trade Fielder is a clear indication that he's gone at least next year, if not earlier.

I think the fact that Doug didn't flat out deny he would trade Fielder is a clear indication that he's gone at least at the end of next year, if not this year.

I noticed that as well this morning. Doug was more wishy-washy in denying a possible Fielder move than he ever has in the past, which to me says they're very, very open to a deal and practically inviting the other teams to start making offers.

I'd much rather have Jarrod Washburn than Arroyo. Washburn only has $9.5 million on his contract after this year, compared to $22.5 million for Arroyo. Plus Washburn is lefthanded. Yeah Arroyo pitches in a hitter's park but I'll take the guy who's unfamiliar to NL hitters. Besides trading withing a division can always come back to bite big time.

As for Fielder, I wouldn't give him up for prospects period. That's not to say he can't be dealt, but I want top flight major league talent in return.

What do you mean pay considerably?

I would think Gamel/Escobar and a pitcher would be a pretty solid starting point. If we're really looking to upgrade the rotation, it's almost certainly going to have to involve one of our top 5 prospects, even if it's for a rental player.

That said, two comp picks at the end of the year would help offset that to some degree.

To rich for me considering we'd only be getting Sabathia for a few months

Saw this on MLB Trade Rumors

If the C.C. Sabathia trade rumors were a horse race, he writes, as of today these teams would be the favorites:

1. Milwaukee Brewers
2. Chicago Cubs
3. Los Angeles Dodgers
4. Texas Rangers
5. Boston Red Sox

Buster Olney now says that the Brewers are now the "front runner" in the Sabathia sweepstakes. It states it in his blog. Listed 5 teams with the top chances to snag him. Anything listed next to team names is purely my guess on who could be involved. Sounds fun to try.

1. Milwaukee- Hall, LaPorta or Gamel, and Bush + prospects (probably two more pitchers)

2. Cubs- Gallagher, Pie, and Hill

3. Dodgers- Kemp and Kershaw

4. Rangers- No guess. Not too sure about their prospects.

5. Red Sox- Bucholz, Masterson, and Crisp

Wierdos, looking at your speculation for the packages, I would think the Brewers would have about the 3rd best package, with 1st being Kemp & Kershaw, and then the Sox, then us. I think the Brewers should be targeting Sabathia, even though we would have to give up a LaPorta or Gamel. But do you really think any package including Hall and Bush would be attractive? I don't see the Indians viewing their inclusion as any plus to the deal.

If you want to trade LaPorta (I wouldn't even think about trading Gamel) for a few wins, you better be darn sure those wins will be needed for something important.

Agreed- we'd need to be in the race for sure, and we'll have to see where the team is in a month to determine that. While there might only be a couple of wins difference between Bush and Sabathia, there could also be a trickle-down effect with Bush in the pen (ie, Bush is probably worth a few runs over a guy like Choate or DiFelice, etc). Where the real value could be though, is in the event of injury, as Sabathia over our sixth starter could be a sizable gap.

But still, it's a lot to give up for a handful of wins at most.

Archived