Brewer Fanatic

Hey Cubs...Stay Classy!

PaulRigdon

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/couch/1013608,CST-SPT-greg19.article

Just keep poking the baseball gods in the eyes.

The Cubs organization has been doing this for a long time. The Cubs actually scalp their own tickets and sell them to make a profit. This is also not something that MLB can control and it is not used for revenue sharing either. It is a smart move by the Cubs actually since they are getting more money. I forget where the ticket booth is but it is off of the area where Wrigley is but the Cubs organization does sell its tickets at a higher price to the public.

I'm sorry, I went to Wrigley this year and it is a DUMP. Not only is it the most overrated venue it is a total HOLE. Sorry guys I don't see it. Miller Park by a landslide.

In regard to the ticket thing, that actually is a very good plan, I would think teams especially teams hurting for revenue should look into that, just as long as the teams are responsible for the face value of the ticket in regards to revenue sharing etc...

The only reason the cubs can pull this off is because a majority of thier fans don't care. They either go just to see the stadium, are tourists, and have the extra money to spend on it, or get left out in the cold because they didn't buy thier tickets on the first day. I feel bad for the families who are left out because of the greed of the cubs. If the brewers ever pulled this stuff, i'd never go to another game again. Heck, i might even give up being a brewers fan all together. This kind of backhanded dealing bothers me THAT much.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Way to live up to your name, ArrogantNemesis.

No regular season baseball game is worth upwards of $500. Not that things are much better in the postseason, where there were 300-level seats in Wrigley Field going for thousands of dollars or StubHub last year. I dunno if it's supposed to be a status symbol or what, but it's ridiculous that anyone would even consider paying those prices.

I agree, I wouldn't pay money to support a club that treats its fans that way; despicable.

Its supply and demand. Very simple economics. Some day if the Brewers popularity rises more, they may do the same thing.

Its supply and demand. Very simple economics. Some day if the Brewers popularity rises more, they may do the same thing.

Why aren't they doing that right now for games that they know will be sellouts? (for example, when the Cubs come into town). Supply and demand of course is very simple economics, but baseball is NOT just any other business. Owners have been given a gift to be allowed in MLB, and they have a certain responsibility, I feel.

If the Cubs are so hard up for cash, maybe they should just try a bake sale.

Why aren't they doing that right now for games that they know will be sellouts? (for example, when the Cubs come into town). Supply and demand of course is very simple economics, but baseball is NOT just any other business. Owners have been given a gift to be allowed in MLB, and they have a certain responsibility, I feel.

Brian, I agree it is not necessarily morally right and I truly hate the Cubs, but it is driven by the almighty dollar. I know the Red Sox do the same thing as well. Hell, I had to pay $130 per ticket to see a games at Fenway that I purchased through a team broker for seats behind Pesky's pole for god's sake. The other tix I got were through Stubhub for same price for other game. The clubs want to get into the action and make more money on their product and I have no problem with that.

You know though, it was worth every penny. It just depends on what you value most. Heck, I wouldn't pay $50 for a Nintendo Wii, but some people will sleep in tents overnight to be the first to purchase it.

I have no problem with teams charging more to sell tickets, but the problem is with revenue sharing and the fact that by maintaining a face value on the ticket lower than the actual profit the team realizes, the team is "lowering" their bottom line profit and cheating the system.

In the 80's, when I was in college, after a morning class, my friends and I would walk up Sheffield to Addison, stand in line early (but not TOO early), and literally be able to get 1st row seats in front of the basket in left field 2 hours or so before the game, and still be able to afford to eat the rest of the week.

Nowadays, if you don't line up in the snow to get your lottery wrist band months before the season starts, you're at the whim of brokers, possibly some in league with the Cubs. If you'd ever dare to be spontaneous and just go to Wrigley that day, your most realistic chance of getting a seat is to wait until the bottom of the 1st, hoping for a desperate scalper outside the park willing to take whatever he can get, for his tickets.

In more than a few cases, after scalpers demand ridiculous money for their seats, we just wind up hitting Murphy's Bleachers, or the Sports Corner, and watch the game there...which is pretty fun, too.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

I'm sorry, I went to Wrigley this year and it is a DUMP. Not only is it the most overrated venue it is a total HOLE. Sorry guys I don't see it. Miller Park by a landslide.

In regard to the ticket thing, that actually is a very good plan, I would think teams especially teams hurting for revenue should look into that, just as long as the teams are responsible for the face value of the ticket in regards to revenue sharing etc...

To me, both places are great, but Wrigley gets the nod because of all that history. Baseball's history is part of what makes it special, and the idea that you can go somewhere that Babe Ruth graced is pretty cool. Places like it and Fenway are truly amazing in a world filled with Metrodomes.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Wrigley is 2nd to only a few as far as history goes, and I won't deny that. As far as walking around the place, yeah, it's cool, it's neat to think of all the history that's gone down there.

Sitting and watching a game? The place is a dump to the 10th degree. The seats are tiny, the views at certain spots are pretty much awful, it's falling apart, and you pee in a trough. Pass.

Don't the Brewers do this same thing? I was browsing stubhub and ticketking and the like on the day of a sellout game and they had up to 12 tickets together... Virtually half of a couple sections were dispersed to online brokers. Wouldn't those be directly from the Brewers as well?

Don't the Brewers do this same thing? I was browsing stubhub and ticketking and the like on the day of a sellout game and they had up to 12 tickets together... Virtually half of a couple sections were dispersed to online brokers. Wouldn't those be directly from the Brewers as well?

The Brewers make it easy for season ticket holders to sell tickets directly to stubhub (some online interface). If they're offering tix directly to stubhub, I think that's extremely weak sauce.

Early in the season, we got a mailing from the Brewers saying how easy it is to sell tickets we can't use on Stubhub.

It's at home with our Brewers ticket stuff. I'll try to remember to check it tonight for details.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

There's quite the chasm between encouraging a bit of capitalism for your premier fans and cutting out the fan altogether. I pitched with some friends last year on season tix and was very happy to find out the ease by which I could "share my seats" with other fans. If only the Cubs had a patron like Pedro, the self-less saint of spreading the experience.

Archived