Brewer Fanatic

Where have you gone, Bill Hall?

Man, how quick of a fall from grace for this guy. I know Branyan deserves to start right now, but Hall would have been platooning no matter what with the way he had been playing. I have always been a fan of Hall, but I never could have seen this dramatic of a drop off for him. I almost hope he is traded now for his sake, although I don't want to see this happen as a Brewers fan. Cincy might offer Jay Bruce for him just to get him off of our roster...

I must say that I have been impressed by how he appears to have remained a positive person in the dugout during games. It sure seems like he just enjoys being there and he supports his team. Has he made any additional comments about this situation lately? I would be suprised if he has.

Not sure why you referenced Bill Hill, but this guy played on 5 teams in 6 years...

Bill Hill was born on Sunday, August 2, 1874, in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Hill was 21 years old when he broke into the big leagues on April 18, 1896, with the Louisville Colonels.

More seriously, I really miss Bill Hall being good.

Not sure why you referenced Bill Hill, but this guy played on 5 teams in 6 years...

Bill Hill was born on Sunday, August 2, 1874, in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Hill was 21 years old when he broke into the big leagues on April 18, 1896, with the Louisville Colonels.

More seriously, I really miss Bill Hall being good.

me, too. as much as i disliked the way he - or his agent - initially handled the platooning it would be fantastic to have him get hot at the plate. the team seems to be running on all cylinders right now and another hot bat would up the intimidation factor for opposing pitchers and give us another fierce option pinch-hitting late in games.

then again, i don't really miss his defense.

Speaking of Bill Hall, did anybody notice during the no-hit portion of the game yesterday when Schroeder said Ned would normally put Bill in for Russ for defensive purposes? Is that really why Ned has been putting Bill in at the ends of games? I figured it was because lefties were pitching. Russ has looked a bit better on D than Bill has so far, although he may not have as much range.

Why not use someone else who is hitting a little better than Hall at that point?

Because Hall is one of the better bats that was on the bench against a left handed pitcher. The outcome was the same that would more than likely have happened if Ned would have just let Branyan bat there. More than likely Branyan K's in that AB.

Why not use someone else who is hitting a little better than Hall at that point?

Because Hall is one of the better bats that was on the bench against a left handed pitcher. The outcome was the same that would more than likely have happened if Ned would have just let Branyan bat there. More than likely Branyan K's in that AB.

but Branyan has actually been making contact a lot lately. even hitting to the opposite field tonight. would have been interesting to see him face the lefty tonight. oh well.

but Branyan has actually been making contact a lot lately. even hitting to the opposite field tonight. would have been interesting to see him face the lefty tonight. oh well.

I love Branyan as much as the next guy but coming into tonight he had 6 strikeouts in his last 4 games. He's 0-10 against lefties this year and is a career .207/.288/.453 hitter against lefties. Hall was .361/.429/.590 against lefties this year and .279/.358/.495 career against lefties. Even on his insane hot streak there is no way Branyan is a better option than Hall against Sherrill.

Community Moderator

The stage was definitely set for Bill Hall tonight to be a hero again. I still agree with the decision, although the fans around me were quite upset.

This happens to players all the time and he will contribute down the stretch.

Let him get some AB's in Nashville (yes he does have an option).

Really? Wow. I'm surprised we haven't resorted to that yet. It's been quite a sad fall from grace for Billy. I was never a big fan of his skill set, and advocating trading him in 2006 instead of extending his contract, but it stinks to see a guy fail so miserably. He appears to be beyond saving.

The stage was definitely set for Bill Hall tonight to be a hero again. I still agree with the decision, although the fans around me were quite upset.

This happens to players all the time and he will contribute down the stretch.

It was the right decision. Branyan is 0/10 with 7 K's against LHP. On your second statement, I don't see it happening. He might make a play or two, but I'm afraid the ship has sailed. This isn't really a slump. It's been a year and a half.

Speaking of Bill Hall, did anybody notice during the no-hit portion of the game yesterday when Schroeder said Ned would normally put Bill in for Russ for defensive purposes? Is that really why Ned has been putting Bill in at the ends of games? I figured it was because lefties were pitching. Russ has looked a bit better on D than Bill has so far, although he may not have as much range.

Yes, I think he has gone in as a defensive sub. Probably due to greater range. What I don't get is why Schroeder said Yost would not make any change due to the no-hitter. Is that some silly baseball superstition? I thought Hall should certainly go in given his greater range...if nothing else, something that might have been a hit with Branyon could have become an error with Hall.

With Hall signed for multiple years, we have to hope he finds his groove. Ned knows this. Everyone is pulling for him within the organization. One big hit will take a lot of pressure off of him.

At worst, he's going to be a highly paid utility guy the next couple years. The Brewers need the real Bill Hall.

While it was the right decision to have him bat last night it doesn't change the fact that he absolutely blows right now.

I agree- while I was hoping for some vintage Hall heroics, I pretty much figured that the result would have been better with Branyan hitting. Hall is just that screwed up right now.

Or maybe you throw away conventional thinking and use your backup catcher right there. Rivera is only 1-5 vs. lefties this year but I like his chances of getting the ball out of the infield a lot more than Hall's chances.

With Hall signed for multiple years, we have to hope he finds his groove. Ned knows this. Everyone is pulling for him within the organization. One big hit will take a lot of pressure off of him.

At worst, he's going to be a highly paid utility guy the next couple years. The Brewers need the real Bill Hall.

We are seeing the real Bill Hall. Great athlete that has no strike zone judgement, makes amazing plays while goofing up the simple play. Only thing that has changed is that he is not getting a late inning hit that ends up on ESPN.

Archived