Brewer Fanatic

Asian Expansion

Brewtacular
I'm going to approach this from a different angle as to why I think, if done responsibly both fiscally and logically, this could be a revolutionary idea. I'm a big "world peace" kind of fellow... one of those guys who doesn't understand war and fighting and all of that jazz... why we can't all "get along" ... and the thought of the expansion of one our biggest and oldest leagues into a world league, I think, would go a long way in "uniting" some people around this globe.

Think about it. When the olympics come around, I cheer hardcore for the USA, as I should. But I can respect any of these athletes, no matter where they are from when they are competing for and earning the same things we are. It doesn't matter if they are from Sweden or Germany or Iraq and Bahrain or Cuba... wherever. Competing for a common cause or goal puts everyone on an even "platform" if you will... and it makes everyone equal.

Obviously this is years and years and years away from occuring... but don't you think our relations with Cuba would improve if, let's say, the Florida Marlins had a Cuban minor league team? Or don't you think Taiwan and South Korea would love the thought of profit sharing (and us in return) with a joint MLB?

Also remember, how many kids in North Korea (this is just an isolated example) are going to see a professional baseball league in South Korea and suddenly want to defect, or "hope" for that life. Maybe that is the start of the change in opinions towards us in some of these countries... or the start of better relations between feuding countries elsewhere.

If the MLB did it... the NFL and NBA would follow suit ... the MLS and NHL shortly thereafter.

I'm not sure how it could or would all work... but I think the benefits would go so far beyond just the individual leagues themselves.

I dunno, just an opinion.

I like the way you think.

I'd imagine these teams would have way to hard of a time signing free agents.

Ichiro, Fukudome, Matsui, Weng.........I think those guys might be interested. Beyond that there will be some very good players playing over there that would prefer to stay over there and play on the highest level. If you condense the 12 pro teams in Japan to 6 or 8 you are going to have some very good teams that are as competitive as anyone. Certainly, better than the Brewers of my life time.

Also remember, how many kids in North Korea (this is just an isolated example) are going to see a professional baseball league in South Korea and suddenly want to defect, or "hope" for that life.

I like where you are going with this but I dont think it applies to North Korea. Doubtful that the lone radio every family has will receive any news of some sporting events in the inferior South from the state sponsored news station.

I dunno. I was in China for two weeks in May and more than a week after I got back I was still waking up at 2 AM each morning. The jet lag coming back is pretty horrendous.

Jetlag is tricky. From my experience it seems like when you are very busy with work, or meetings, it is not as much of an issue. On the return it seems to be the opposite for me. If you dont have a regimented workday, like ballplayers, it is much easier to recover. I think ballplayer have a huge advantage in this regard. They really dont have to do that much during the day. Add in the fact that every step would/could be taken to assist them and i dont think this is the issue to hold it up.

I like the idea of a 3rd league.

The league could start with around 10 team, all of which would have the same status as MLB teams. The only time that MLB teams would play the Asian teams would be during interleague play. This would allow for exposure but not constant travel to Asia the entire year. The NL and AL could take turns going over to play or something like that.

Build a stadium in Hawaii and have em meet in between. I do like the idea of adding an additional affiliated league, but it may make the season drag on too long or create longer gaps between games. We are talking about a 14 hour time difference here, and that's a pretty big thing.

I'd like the idea of a minor league in Asia. You'd need to go to an underdeveloped league (not Japan) and set up 30 minor league teams, each of which are controlled by a major league team. This would provide a pretty good base for scouting operations in Asia as well.

Archived