Brewer Fanatic

xbox red ring of death, where do i go from here?

BuckyTuba

So my xbox 360 finally took a dive yesterday and I got the red ring of death. I own a good amount of games, including rock band and guitar hero 2 and 3. It also functioned as my DVD player (which I will probably go out and buy a cheap dvd player to reduce wear on whatever system I get)

My choices:

1) spend $250-300 on a core system to replace the console.

2) buy a wii and sell all my 360 crap on craiglist

3) buy a PS3 and sell all my 360 crap on craigslist

4) Grow up

5) get another hobby

Call X-box. They should cover it. They will send you a box to send it back to them in free of charge. All you have to do is drop it off at a UPS pickup spot like Staples. You should also receive one free month for Xbox Live, which is about as long as it should take to send to them and get it back.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I had the same thing happen to mine last year and Xbox replaced it for no charge and it was fairly painless. It took about 3 weeks to get fixed, but it's summer so you shouldn't miss it too much.

You can also go to Xbox.com and check to see if your console is still under warranty and also file the claim info there.

Yeah, call Microsoft. After the 360's started having massive problems with the ring of death, Microsoft upgraded ALL warranties from 1 year standard to 3 year standard. So, odds are you are still under warranty. I have heard that they replace them pretty quick.

Don't bother with the website. I got the same thing. Just call their 800 number. They will ask you a few stupid questions like, did you try unplugging it? and did you try turning it off then back on after a few minutes? Just play along with what they ask and eventually they will take your address and send you a box.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Just went through the same thing last month. Try the website later like you said -- I did it through the website rather than over the phone. The process was very painless (and totally free apart from the gas and time to drive to a UPS dropoff location). It only took about two weeks for me -- and all of that was shipping. Once they received the system, they turned it around in a day. I'm pretty sure I got a refurb instead of the same system back, though, so maybe they took one look at mine and concluded it was unfixable.

Good on Microsoft for being a stand-up company about this issue. Pretty ludicrous that this is such a widespread issue though. It wouldn't surprise me if it ultimately causes Microsoft to get out of the console business next go-round, even though 360s will almost certainly have sold more units than PS3s when all is said and done.

Archived