Brewer Fanatic

Gibbons out Gaston in

Minigoon

about time Gaston gets another shot. He may have weaknesses, but two Championships is something not many guys have on their resume.

also, it's nice to see the Brewers sending the manager of another team to the abattoir. That's domination (or, the Jays brass thinks so little of the Brewers that losing 3 to them is unacceptable, which is less flattering).

Gotta break out the old t-shirts that say:

CITO
SUCKS

Thanks Mussina for warming up in the bullpen on your own. This created the whole "gotta make sure everyone plays" controversy, which lead to the rosters being exhausted in the All-Star game in Milwaukee, which caused the managers to ask Selig to end the game in a tie, which brought (more) undue embarrassment on Selig, the Brewers, and Milwaukee in general.

Thanks Cito. All you had to do was play Mussina in front of his home crowd. Jerk.

CITO SUCKS.

Gotta break out the old t-shirts that say:

CITO
SUCKS

Thanks Mussina for warming up in the bullpen on your own. This created the whole "gotta make sure everyone plays" controversy, which lead to the rosters being exhausted in the All-Star game in Milwaukee, which caused the managers to ask Selig to end the game in a tie, which brought (more) undue embarrassment on Selig, the Brewers, and Milwaukee in general.

Thanks Cito. All you had to do was play Mussina in front of his home crowd. Jerk.

CITO SUCKS.

Shouldn't the shirts/large fonts say "Mussina Sucks"?

Has anyone who won two World series had to wait this long to get another chance to manage? I always wondered what that was all about. (I guess since it's Toronto the correct spelling should be aboot).
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Nope. One of the Orioles boards I go to just post a topic titled, "Cito Still Sucks". It's somewhat ironic since most posters there also hate Mussina for being a trader becuase he refused to waive his no trade clause, then had the "audacity" to sign with the Yankees.

Community Moderator
I think it's funny that the firing of Randolph has set off a chain of managers being fired. I guess it's ok to dump your manager as long as you aren't the first team of the year to do it.

Yeah, I agree that that's pretty funny, owbc. Strange. Welcome back Cito, huh? Probably a great move for a team (likely) going nowhere this season. Gets the fans' attention & really overall doesn't do much, good or bad.

Gibbons is an ape. Aptly named. Jerks like him have no business leading people. (Yes, I have a bias against him. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif )

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Shouldn't the shirts/large fonts say "Mussina Sucks"?

If there ever was an unwritten rule for the All-Star game it was that all of the home team players should play. Cito should have put in Mussina so that Mussina never would have had to do that. The fans wanted to see him, so that was the only option he had for the fans to see him. I place the blame 90% on Cito, 10% on Mussina.

CITO STILL SUCKS.

Why would the fans care so much about seeing Mussina? They could see him anytime. It seems like overreaction. I would have been a little disappointed if Jose Hernandez didn't get into the game at Miller Park, but I wouldn't have held a grudge against Bob Brenly for over a decade and make him out to be Pol Pot Jr.. Could Gaston have thrown the locals a bone? Sure he could have, but Ripken was already in the game, it's not like the Orioles had no representative. Plus, Mussina wasn't anything special that year.

edit: In my opinion, what Mussina did was practically unforgivable, to show a guy up like that and make it into such a big issue. I doubt anybody would even remember it if not for Mussina taking it upon himself to take center-stage. If I was Gaston, I would have called time, went out to the bullpen and dragged Mussina by the scruff of his neck back to the clubhouse.

Cito Gaston probably knows less about baseball than any person associated with the game. Maybe that's what they're looking for, a "simple" fella, but it does not say a lot about the franchise. For the most part, I think JP has done fine, except when his decisions are based on money (Johnson and Thomas), but he appears a bit stuck in neutral at this point.

Cito brought about his firing when, with two weeks to go in the season, he told then-GM Gord Ash that he was going on vacation when the season was over and wasn't going to be available to do player evaluations. Cito may have just been tired of hearing rumors and wanted to get the firing over with, but I think it left a bad taste in the mouths of a lot baseball front office people.

Archived