Brewer Fanatic

Trade Proposal: Prince to Mets

Trading him in this offseason or the next IS the way to maximize his return. I doubt Fielder hits 50 every year, but he's a threat to hit 40. If he can keep the average at 280 and draw walks, he's an offensive force. On the downside, he's already the size of a small house, has no speed, and is a defensive liability. Guys rarely get quicker or slimmer as they age.

Prince should get Howard numbers of at least $10 million next year. The Brewers are well aware of this mixed picture, which is why they haven't signed him yet. Personally, I'd take the risk and give him one seven year contract, but unless he's a well attending member of weight watchers, I'd never resign him.

If he is traded, the question is what his value is. Paradoxically the mere fact he is being mentioned diminishes his value. Three years of contract flexibility has some real value. The return won't be a top of the rotation starter. Every message board mentions an ace as a return for their players. However any team with one of these guys refuses to give them up. The only way they become available at all is in their walk year, or before they prove they're top of the rotation. Guys like a Kershaw or Billingsley aren't going anywhere. That leaves a package of prospects, stars in their walk year, or a couple of good major leaguers with a prospect thrown in.

Prince should get Howard numbers of at least $10 million next year.
Howard was coming off 58HR and 47HR years. (As well as an average 140 RBI)

Prince will probably be coming off 50HR and 35HR years. (Probably around 95 RBI average)

So there is a pretty sizable difference between the two. In addition, Howard only got $10 million because the Phillies tried to low ball him at $7 million. If the Phillies had offered $8.5 million - the arbitrator likely would have ruled for them.

I bet Prince signs for closer to $8 than $10 million.

Archived