Brewer Fanatic

Trade Proposal: Prince to Mets

Gentlemen, I proposed this over on sportsbubbler and got mixed reaction. I'm gonna word it a bit differently to see if it makes more sense.

My question is, would it make sense to trade Prince to the Mets? He wants to be "The man" somewhere and I don't think its gonna happen here since there is no way he stays with us long term. Boras won't allow that. I propose trading him to the Mets for a package of players revolving around Jose Reyes. Someone over on sportsbubbler suggested Reyes and Mike Pelfrey. I'm sure there are some that think Prince is worth a lot more and maybe he is but he wants a big stage and is there a bigger stage than NY? If Prince starts pissing and moaning that he wants out, his value will plummet and the Brewers will end up losing big time value. I don't know what the Mets have as far as a SS to take over for Reyes but if necessary someone suggested tossing in Escobar to take over.

Now, I'm not saying that Prince should be traded immediately but if they go into the off season and he and Boras make it clear that they want a billion dollars, you've gotta strike while the iron is hot.

Opinions?

EDIT: Please use more descriptive titles - BtA

Reyes isn't going anywhere.

Endaround, what makes you so sure? Delgado is dying a slow death over at 1st base and you know that the Mets wanna make a splash in whatever they do. Prince could become the famous "Face of the Franchise" with a team with bottomless pockets. You know thats what he and Boras want.

1) Fielder wouldn't be the face, Wright already has that job

2) Reyes is signed to a great contract (5.75m, 9m, 11m option)

3) They could just go out and sign Dunn and not have to give up anything but draft picks

Endaround, what makes you so sure? Delgado is dying a slow death over at 1st base and you know that the Mets wanna make a splash in whatever they do.

The Mets may love to have Fielder, but they aren't going to trade Reyes to do it. Reyes is a better overall player.

As Endaround points out -- they have a great contract with Reyes.

Plus if the season ended today (Mets are #15) the Mets would not lose their draft pick when they sign Dunn or any other player.

I think the only way the Mets move Reyes is if they're not thrilled with his attitude, etc, which I have no knowledge of.

IF a thing like this happened, I think the Mets would want Fielder and Escobar, while the Brewers would want Reyes and a pitcher.

I think getting the teams matched up would be very tough to do. I also think that IF the Brewers decide to move Prince, they will build the deal around a pitcher, and then perhaps fill in another player, rather than targeting offense first in the deal.

He wants to be "The man" somewhere and I don't think its gonna happen here since there is no way he stays with us long term. Boras won't allow that.

Do you really think that Boras controls what Fielder does? Why do you think this? Bernie Williams turned down more money from Boston to stay with the Yankees when he had Boras as his agent.

I don't think the Mets would do this. Even if we say, hypothetically, that Fielder is better (I'm not saying he is), the Mets don't have any reason to trade a guy who is as good and popular as Reyes. I mean, Reyes is a guy you build around, not trade. Just like Jeter or Ortiz or Chipper Jones may not have ever been the best player in the majors, that doesn't mean you trade them if they are very good and also popular. There is something to be said for letting your fan base root for more than laundry.

I agree with Splitterpfj that if Prince were to be traded, it would be for a pitcher. With Sheets likely leaving and no one lined up to take his place, I think it's important the Brewers address the rotation in the offseason. Plus, if they were to trade for Reyes, they'd need to do something with Hardy and Escobar. I wouldn't think it too likely that they'd trade for a player in a position where they already have two MLB caliber players.

I really don't see Prince "pissing and moaning." He was upset that he didn't get as much as Howard, but nothing has been said since, and he seems to be having a good time in the Brewers' dugout. Also, Prince/Boras cannot ask for "a billion dollars" until he hits free agency in three years. If he asks for too much next year, the Brewers would win in arbitration, therefore paying him less than if Prince/Boras ask for a reasonable amount.

I think it is possible Prince will be traded, but it would be because Prince won't sign a long term deal, and they have LaPorta & Gamel waiting in the wings, not because of Prince's attitude, which has been wonderful ever since he's signed with the Brewers.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this in another thread, but it seems like it should go here.

Mets fan here. I had read the rumors of Prince Fielder potentially being available in the NY Post. I doubt any trade would happen before the off season, but I thought the Mets could be in the bidding. The Brewers would only trade Prince if they didn't want to give him a long term deal and wanted to get more value by moving him now. Next year he's arbitration eligible and due for a big raise.

The players I'd remove would from consideration would be

Wright

Reyes

Santana

Maine

Church

Beltran

Pelfrey

So that's basically a cheaper prospects for arbitration eligible expensive player. So would the Brewers take Fernando Martinez, Mike Carp, and Jon Niese for Prince? All are about major league ready by the end of the year being in AA currently.

Fernando is the Mets top prospect and is 19 in AA. Carp is a lefty first baseman that has reestablished himself after an injury lost year last year and is putting together a nice offensive year. Niese is a lefty who is one of the younger pitchers in his league and doing very well with nice peripherals.

The players I'd remove would from consideration would be

Wright

Reyes

Santana

Maine

Church

Beltran

Pelfrey

This is exactly why it won't happen. The Brewers will have Prince for 3 yrs at an attractive arby rate. They don't have anyone ready to fill his shoes for 2009...maybe LaPorta for 2010, but we may need him in the OF. The Brewers are in a win now mode, and they won't be looking to trade one of their best players for prospects. Pitching or a guy like Reyes, yes...prospects, no...we already have plenty at AA.

Yeah, that may be. Reyes and Wright are two of the most valuable players in baseball because of their combination of age, skill, and contract situation. They'd be the last players the Mets would move. If the Brewers really are win now and have three years left, the best time to trade Prince may be after the 09 season. That could change if they lock up Sheets and can't afford Prince in arby, especially if LaPorta is ready.

Fernando was out due to an injury and came back on fire. If he stays hot, I'd doubt the Mets would trade him for anyone, even Prince. He's four years younger than LaPorta and at the same level, although the power isn't there yet.

You honestly are removing Church from consideration for Prince Fielder?!?

Reyes and Wright are two of the most valuable players in baseball because of their combination of age, skill, and contract situation.

I think Prince is also in that category. Three more years of arbitration is pretty attractive.

I do love when other fans chime in with their trade proposals. Always very interesting. Fernando is a pretty enticing prospect - but Milwaukee would riot if we traded Prince for an OF who has quite a bit of growing to do. (We already have more OF than we know what to do with)

I am 95% sure Prince will only be traded for a pitcher.

No, I'd probably put Maine, Church, or Pelfrey in there. But they would be the centerpiece, meaning I'd take Fernando out. The only prospects in this decade the Mets have had on par with Fernando are Wright, Reyes, and Kazmir and it would have been a mistake to send any of them for Fielder. Remember the ONLY reason Fielder would even be traded is money. He's entering his expensive years and guys like him tend not to be productive much beyond thirty. He has Mo Vaughn written all over him. The Fielder before his first year was much more valuable. Reyes and Wright keep higher value because both are signed to team friendly contracts. So is Church which is an added plus.

That's the reason Kershaw or David Price won't come. You can't argue pure talent for talent and exclude dollars.

1) Fielder wouldn't be the face, Wright already has that job.

No way. I was there in April and Wright was only the face with the 16-35yo female crowd, which I'm gathering is maybe 10% of the fanbase? Beltran and Reyes were easily more of a face than David Wright.

You can't argue pure talent for talent and exclude dollars.
I hear you. I completely understand the value of the contracts.

And you are correct, Prince is about to get more expensive - however, it is only 1 year at a time. One year and $8 million is dirt cheap for a player of Prince's caliber. (I am guessing that will be his arbitration amount this year)

Fernando might be a talented enough prospect, he just plays the wrong position. If he was a pitcher...

He has Mo Vaughn written all over him. The Fielder before his first year was much more valuable.
You may be right. But if the Brewers trade Fielder - it will be to a team who thinks highly of him. (And for the long term) The Brewers have no reason to sell Prince at his low point. If we trade him, we are trading him as a player who hits 50 HR - not the player who hits 30 HR.

Interestobserver, you couldn't be more correct. The Mo Vaughn analogy is perfect!!!!!!!!!!! Kudos to you my friend, kudos. I say strike while the iron is hot and Prince is still a desired commodity instead of just a DH.

Archived