Brewer Fanatic

Other near no-hitters in Brewer history

NYChez

Two I remember (besides Nieves going all the way) were:

1. Teddy Higuera in County Stadium on a beautiful weekday afternoon. Jeffrey "One Flap Down" Leonard had a great catch against the wall to save the no hitter - I couldn't see the catch from my seats along the 3rd base line, but I could hear the "boom" of Leonard banging against the padding and then the crowd going nuts. Steve Balboni then led off the 8th with a bomb into the left field bleachers. I even remember how the game ended - Dan Plesac striking out Balboni on 3 pitches with the bases loaded.

2. Ben McDonald in Baltimore. He was in his walk year and he actually took himself out of the game after 7 innings with the no hitter going to supposedly preserve his arm for the big contract. The radio color guy (it had to be Pat Hughes, but maybe it was Jim Powell) was highly critical of the original Big Ben.

I don't remember many from this last decade...didn't Sheets take one into the 8th one time?

I vaguely remember Wes Obermueller taking a perfect game into the, I think, 7th inning one time.

May 28, 1988: 35-year-old journeyman Odell Jones makes his first start since 1981, filling in for an injured Teddy Higuera. Athough Jones had pitched well so far in only 7 relief appearances that season, and he'd gotten the win 5 days earlier in a 5-inning relief outing replacing Higuera in the 2nd inning, he had spent the whole year prior in the minor leagues, and he had basically bounced back and forth between the minors and the majors his whole career. All that to say, this was a much less likely story even than Dave Bush... but Jones set down the first 22 Indians in order before a walk to Mel Hall ruined the perfect game bid. Noticeably tiring as he reached the 90-pitch mark (he'd only thrown 54 pitches his previous game), but hanging on to the 2-run lead, he retired the final 2 batters of the 8th, and struck out the first batter of the 9th before pinch-hitter Ron Washington dropped a soft opposite-field liner into shallow right. Dan Plesac then came in the game and after an infield single, retired the final two hitters to preserve the 2-hit shutout.

This is one of the few games I remember like it was just the other day. Odell Jones may have had a non-descript career, but he has a place in my book of Brewer history.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see that there was another thread talking about Odell Jones. I knew I couldn't be the only one that remembered that game.

I seem to remember Cal Eldred going deep into a game with a no-no around 1996 or 1997.

I remember watching that Sheets game against the Angels.. Jenkens, 0-7 with 6 Ks.. good lord!

Community Moderator
Woody gave up that hit (a double I think) in the first inning, and then went on a ridiculous run. That game was a part of a 10 game winning streak--1997 I think.

Dave Bush no-hit the Cubs into (I think) the 5th inning at MP in 2006. I attended that game and despite my efforts to not think about it, I could not take my eyes off the 0 0 0 for the visitors. It really is mesmerizing.

Wes Obermueller did take a no-hitter pretty deep (I want to say the 7th too) vs. the Nationals. This must have been 2005. I remember thinking to myself that if he did finish the job I'd feel compelled to buy an Obermueller jersey - not just a tee, a jersey, because I know how rare a no-hitter can be. So there was admittedly a silver lining for my pocketbook when the Nats finally got a hit.

I am embarrassed to say that although I followed the Brewers closely in 1987 (the season spanned my junior and senior years of college), I did not get to see or hear one second of live coverage of the Nieves no-hitter. The game was on at the same time as a required lecture for a class. I brought my walkman to the lecture hall, but to my dismay my professor sat next to me. I found out by returning to my dorm room, where my roommate had written the following on our dry-erase board:

Laura - (name of then-boyfriend) called. Brewers got a no-hitter.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived