Brewer Fanatic

10 Reasons the Cubs could go all the way

Personally I like the one that says Carlos is a knucklehead, but he is a talented knucklehead. MRI willing
I especially like the part where he says (I paraphrase), "They have Zambrano, and he's the man. He might be hurt, though. If so, that's not good for them."

DRRRRR!

Personally I like the one that says Carlos is a knucklehead, but he is a talented knucklehead. MRI willing
I especially like the part where he says (I paraphrase), "They have Zambrano, and he's the man. He might be hurt, though. If so, that's not good for them."

DRRRRR!

They "have options."

Like Rich Hill.

I just don't get why Wojciechowski has understandable concerns about McClung and Bush and the pen, but is drinking the Kool-Aid on Sean Gallagher and Jason Marquis

Because, dude, I mean, come on -- they're better. If they weren't, McClung & Bush would be in the bigger market, not Gallagher & Marquis. Duuuhhh. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Avg. Run Support for Cubs starters

Dempster 6.46

Zambrano 6.18

Marquis 6.17

Lilly 5.40

Frankly, Lilly, Marquis, Gallagher/Marshall/Hill haven't pitched well at all this year. I would surmise as the average run support for those starters erodes, so will the Cubs win percentage.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think Gene makes some solid points about the Brewers. Sorry.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

At this point, its all about Zambrano. If he's ok, teh Cubs will win the division easily, barring some other serious injury problems. If he's not, the Brewers have a shot, and the battle moves up to the GM's offices for the next month or so, and whichever one has the most success fortifying the pitching staff before the deadline, may just win the division.

I never got a lot of toys when I was a kid (I'll stipulate that I was a bad kid). But this one Christmas, I was promised a new Erector set. This is a family forum, so instead of using that last reference to make a different kind of joke about my anticipation, I'll say that waiting for the Carlos Zambrano MRI results has been like waiting to wake up that Christmas morning. And yeah, I get it about not rooting for bad things, I really do, but La Tonta is a special case.

Marmol morphing into Derrick Turnbow is a possibility as the innings pile up.

Agreed, I couldn't believe Marmol was the guy who coughed up the game last night. If he is anything less than superhuman that changes the dynamic of that team quite a bit.

The Marmol thing is interesting. I have been telling my Cub fan friends all season that Lou has been overworking him. I haven't really paid attention the last couple weeks, but I have no reason to believe that trend has been reversed. We'll see.

Archived