Brewer Fanatic

Mariners fire McLaren, Riggleman takes over

wOOgiE22

This is great for Seattle. I don't revel in anyone's misery, but McLaren is a knucklehead. Now only time will tell if the ownership will actually commit to finding a good GM, or if this is just change for change's sake.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The beautiful thing for the M's is that, since Dusty Baker is off the market, they can only move laterally or improve in hiring a new manager.

Problem is, they need a good GM first & more dearly, and that's the tougher hire imo.

I've heard rumors that Brian Cashman may be a candidate for Seattle's GM spot if he doesn't feel like returning to the Yankees. Apparently Seattle is a pretty good place for a GM to land -- the owner is generally hands-off and hands you boatloads of cash (not as much as the Yankees, but they can afford to sign Ichiro to an $80 million extension and give out huge contracts to Sexson and Beltre without a sweat), they have one of the best parks in the American League, there's a passionate fanbase, they have a decent farm system, the media is generally calm unless your name is Bill Bavasi, and the city itself is beautiful. It would definitely beat having to answer to Crazy Hank and the New York media, but who knows if Cashman would want to switch coasts. Paul DePodesta is probably another candidate they should consider after suffering through the Bavasi era.

I was kind of surprised that McLaren wasn't let go at the same time as Bavasi, but it was pretty clear that McLaren wasn't going to manage past this year anyway...you might as well just let him go now before he comes out with another tirade.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I've heard rumors that Brian Cashman may be a candidate for Seattle's GM spot if he doesn't feel like returning to the Yankees. Apparently Seattle is a pretty good place for a GM to land -- the owner is generally hands-off and hands you boatloads of cash (not as much as the Yankees, but they can afford to sign Ichiro to an $80 million extension and give out huge contracts to Sexson and Beltre without a sweat), they have one of the best parks in the American League, there's a passionate fanbase, they have a decent farm system, the media is generally calm unless your name is Bill Bavasi, and the city itself is beautiful. It would definitely beat having to answer to Crazy Hank and the New York media, but who knows if Cashman would want to switch coasts. Paul DePodesta is probably another candidate they should consider after suffering through the Bavasi era.

That's interesting. I hadn't heard that. Cashman really is a good GM, but it's been hard to try & sift through what's been George's doings & what've been Brian's. The signing of Sheffield (Ca$hman had a deal in place with Vlad, but Stein went to dinner w/Sheff & signed him at the dinner) always will symbolize what Cashman had to deal with there.

I'd hate to see him leave NYY, as he's finally been able to not have to live by the Steinbrenner 'Buy expensive veterans!' mantra, and the results so far have been solid. (imho)

Archived