Brewer Fanatic

JP Ricciardi Vs. Adam Dunn Smackdown

Needless to say, Adam Dunn won't be traded to the Blue Jays anytime soon...

J.P. - http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/postedsports/archive/2008/06/19/jays-notebook-ricciardi-trashes-adam-dunn-on-radio-show.aspx

Adam Dunn's comeback - http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2008/06/19/dunn_i_dont_know_the_clown

My conclusion - There is a reason JP has built one of the most inept offenses in all of baseball, he no freaking idea what he is doing. It all comes down to the strikout debate once again. Hey JP Rod freaking Barajas leads your team with a .821 OPS. Do you know what Adam Dunn's OPS is? Much higher than that

Potential GMs take note: this is why you never talk about players on other teams.

If you want them, it's tampering; and even if you don't, it's going to come back to bite you.

Alex Rios' 150 OPS point dropoff from the prior two seasons (and a 100 point drop from Aaron Hill) is killing the Blue Jays offense right now. Especially since those two are the only position players on the Jays roster below age 29. They don't need Adam Dunn; they need Adam Dunn circa 2004.

(Sidenote: At least Rolen is playing right around the .360/.440 line I was hoping for when the Brewers trade rumors were out there.)

What happened to JP Ricciardi being sabermetrically inclined? BA and SOs? His comments are moronic.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I mean wasn't he the guy mentioned in Moneyball that worked for Beane for a while?

I love these comments from Dunn: I read it, I just read it. I don't care but later in the article, It pisses me off. It does. I just told you it pisses me off.... Sounds like he wasn't be truthful the first time http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Edit: By the way they have the caller talk straight to the GM? That sounds pretty cool.

I like this part of the article:

"He's a lifetime .230, .240 hitter that strikes out a ton and hits home runs," Ricciardi said.

"Yes, he hits home runs, which none of the Toronto Blue Jays are doing," the caller replied.

The "doesn't care about baseball" stuff is Dunn's reputation, and part of why I have always been a colossal Adam Dunn mark. If it's false, he's a guy being unjustly persecuted by the strikeouts-obsessed MSM. If it's true, hey, who doesn't hate his job?

The one thing that does make me question his commitment to playing baseball is that he's been atrocious defensively. You have to be pretty bad at defense to be moved off of 1b; if Dunn had shown the same level of commitment as someone like Prince Fielder, chances are he'd still be at first (where that 6-6 frame actually provides an advantage).

Bill Hall, who hasn't been a regular for a month and is in a horrible slump, would be leading the Jays in home runs.

They had Matt Stairs as their cleanup hitter last night. I know they were sitting some guys(rios i think), but unless it's 1999 you should never have him anywhere near the 4 spot..

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

The ultimate lose-lose for Ricciardi. Dunn can laugh this off, but J.P. is now forever linked to Dusty-Baker-dom (or is that "dumb"?) & likely will be without a job come season's end.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Ricciardi's turned into a Looney Tunes character. The pressure of trying to compete with Boston and New York must be getting to him, because he's been a a walking contradiction for a few years now. I remember when the Blue Jays were in the bidding war for Gil Meche, and when he found out that Meche decided to go to Kansas City instead, he flipped out: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/MoneyMatters/2006/12/09/2704207-sun.html

Then, of course, there's the way he handled the John Gibbons/Ted Lilly dispute, the John Gibbons/Shea Hillenbrand dispute, cutting Frank Thomas after a handful of bad at-bats, whining about not getting enough money to spend from management (then getting that money and spending it on scrappy guys like Eckstein), etc. The guy's gotten so far away from his days in Oakland that it's like he's not thinking like the same guy anymore. At this point, he really just needs to be put out of his misery.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I remember when the Blue Jays were in the bidding war for Gil Meche, and when he found out that Meche decided to go to Kansas City instead, he flipped out: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/MoneyMatters/2006/12/09/2704207-sun.html

There's an awesome quote in there from Ricciardi saying "We might've dodged a bullet" when Meche signed with K.C. Apparently he was just pursuing him for show?

The more I think about it....Adam Dunn not knowing who J.P. Ricciardi is....kinda proves J.P.'s point.

Wouldn't you want to know a little bit about the 30 guys who may be getting ready to pay you handsomely as soon as you hit the market? It's not like Ricciardi just got the job yesterday.

show of hands for who now wants to see adam dunn end up in the al east by the end of the season for the sole purpose of punishing the blue jays first hand:

(*raising hand*)

*Raises hand*

Largely because that means he can't hit any more 7-R, game winning HRs off the Brewers! But also bc then he'd make Ricciardi look even more like an idiot. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The more I think about it....Adam Dunn not knowing who J.P. Ricciardi is....kinda proves J.P.'s point.

Wouldn't you want to know a little bit about the 30 guys who may be getting ready to pay you handsomely as soon as you hit the market? It's not like Ricciardi just got the job yesterday.

I don't think it's odd that a guy focused on playing baseball in the NL Central doesn't know who the GM of a non-factor AL East team is. That's his agent's job.

Update on this. Ricciardi claims he talked to Dunn and apologized and Dunn is claiming that he never spoke to him.

Ricciardi says he got a call from a 519 area code number - problem is, Cincinnati's area code is 513. Of course Ricciardi wouldn't know that, but he should know that 519 wasn't right because THAT'S ONTARIO'S AREA CODE!

http://www.thermocaster.com/2008/06/25/is-howard-sterns-minions-calling-the-toronto-blue-jays/

I have no idea how this guy has a job in MLB. This whole story makes him look like a knob, and I don't see how he could possibly do his job effectively after this. Getting Gaston on board shouldn't save his job. I'm surprised he is still taking up space in this league.

Archived