Brewer Fanatic

Tavarez DFA'ed for Riske- Latest: Declines Assignment, Signs with Braves

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That June 10th Houston game and the May 27th game against Atlanta.
OK... I don't recall the circumstances of why he pitched in the 5/27 game. But he did, and it was a close game, so you're right. But in looking at some box scores, CV had pitched 2 IP the night before, Shouse pitched 1.2 IP the night before, and Mota had pitched 3.1 IP over the previous three days. Other than them, you're probably looking at Dillard (who also pitched 3 of the previous four days), or DiFelice one outing removed from getting bombed in Boston. In looking at that, I can't say I have much problem with using Tavarez there. It was probably down to him or DiFelice (sound familiar?).

He did pitch well in that 5/27 game, if that's any consolation. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif The majority of his appearances were in blowouts. And now he's gone, and we're all happy. The Brewers have had/still have too many guys that I wouldn't want to use in close games. Unfortunately, on occasion it can't be avoided (or maybe shouldn't be for the long term good of the pen).

This move confirms that Tavarez was viewed as the worst reliever in the pen. That begs the question... why was he being used in close games when other players were available (not talking about the last extra inning game).

He was viewed as such today but a week ago there was some argument to be made who was really the worst. One of the hidden advantages of his last meltdown was that he proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was the worst. Had that not happened DiFelice might not be on the team today. I am in not way saying Ned did that on purpose but it very well may have turned out to be do or die day for him.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Meh, this didn't work out, but i can't really blame doug for trying. We were really weak in the pen at the time we signed him, and it was worth a shot. I'm just glad he had the good sense to send him down instead of keeping him up and moving an MLB worthy player to nashville.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I'm really going to miss Tavarez. I was hoping to see him pull a "Classic Tavarez" and inexplicably punch a Justin Morneau or a Brad Hawpe in the face. My hope is that he'll be back in September to at least come in to brawl with the Cubs (picture him taking on Zambrano and Fontenot simultaneously...that's why God gave him two hands).

Whew, I was worried that DiFelice or Dillard would get sent down because they weren't "veteran-ey" enough.

That's good stuff! I shared your concern.

He was viewed as such today but a week ago there was some argument to be made who was really the worst. One of the hidden advantages of his last meltdown was that he proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was the worst.

I don't think the move was made based on 2 IP, or even whatever Tavarez's IP total was with us. I think the braintrust viewed Tavarez as a type of rental to cover the time Riske would be out. And in that sense, the move doesn't bug me too much -- either signing him or DFA'ing him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The reason why Yost went with Tavarez in high leverage situations was his experience.

I think it was because Tavarez' name happened to be the one drawn from the hat on those days.....

The Yankees gobbled [Ponson] up yesterday/today.

Good choice of words.

The Brewers and Tavarez have until Sunday to make a decision about his future with the club. The story right after he was DFA'd was that the Brewers were expecting him to clear waivers, accept the assignment to Nashville, and then he would be placed in the Sounds' rotation to stretch him out in case the Brewers needed another starter later on. Whether all of that is still in the works will be a mystery until sometime between now and Sunday.

I would expect an announcement much sooner than Sunday however.

Good Riddance, I was not a fan of the signing even though it was low risk. I was also worried that the FO was starting to get back to the selig era style of picking up guys at the end of their career but they proved me wrong by DFA him

I don't get why he'd decline the assignment. Is it really that demeaning to go down to AAA? He'd still get paid the same. I think Scott Boras is giving the guy bad advice, personally.

I also echo the earlier sentiment about how entertaining a Tavarez initiated brawl would have been entertaining.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I don't get why he'd decline the assignment. Is it really that demeaning to go down to AAA? He'd still get paid the same. I think Scott Boras is giving the guy bad advice, personally.

Yeah, he reinforced his erratic and mediocre at best performance in Milwaukee, I can't imagine that there are going to be a lot of teams out there that are interested at this point, and certainly not on a Big League contract.

I also echo the earlier sentiment about how entertaining a Tavarez initiated brawl would have been entertaining.

He doesn't really need the minor league salary. He'll either wait until another team gets desperate, or he'll hang it up.

I can only hope that Tavarez will be a lot like Jim Abbott or Tony Fernandez...guys that had a career, then a brief stint with the Brewers at the end, one that quickly becomes recognized as a bad idea, one that nobody remembers a few years later, one that might even win you a bet in a bar a few years from now.

But did anyone really think that Tavarez was a good signing? Could Luis Pena have possibly done worse? At least Ned might have recognized that Pena needed to be used carefully.

Sigh.

Archived