Brewer Fanatic

Zambrano leaves game with shoulder tightness. Update (post #81): Placed on 15-day DL, retroactive to 6/19

bobskube
I'm never going to revel in someone else's injury, no matter how minor and no matter how beneficial it is to me. Even more so when it involves someone's job and livelihood; yes, I realize that Zambrano is probably financially secure at this point in his career, but that's not the point.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kurkijan is an idiot - on ESPN he had just listed Ben Sheets as a guy the Cubs might go after if Zambrano is out for any extended period of time...

I usually think Tim Kurkijan does a fine job, but this thought is ludicrous. Sure the Cubs would like Sheets, he is a staff ace. But why mention something that has almost 0% chance of happening. Hey Tim, might the Cubs go after the Mets Santana or the Jays Halladay as well? ESPN is just desperate to see the Cubs win the World Series, so this kind of banter is pretty much towing the Corporate line imo.

I caught that from Tim. I mean how can a guy have a job when they wouldn't make this trade if the Brewers were 20 games below .500 in a fantasy world.

Yet, what would you expect from a company that has had guys like Micoke Irvin employed on it.

What would the Brewers' asking price to the Cubs for Sheets start at? It's pretty funny to think about.

I have been thinking about this as well. If the Brewers fall out of it, I would happily trade them Sheets for a king's ransom. Depending on what the market looks like at the time, the Cubs just might be willing to way overpay given it would be an intradivision trade. Let's put it this way, there would be no shortage of bidders, so I think you could easily require about a 50% premium from the Cubs.

What would the Brewers' asking price to the Cubs for Sheets start at? It's pretty funny to think about.

Their agreeing to blow up Wrigley at season's end, or immediately, or just contract the Cubs. That seems about fair to me.

Is it me or does it seem like 95 % of the Cubs "talent" that comes up pretty much bombs at the major league level or get hurt?

The one position player that end up doing anything so far after leaving the Cubs was HGH boy Sarge Jr. The Cubs fleeced the Pirates for Ramirez and they stole Lee from Florida for Choi, who was going to be a complete flop.

If you look at that complete roster right now, besides the Bigheado there isn't much farm developed players on the team. Sure you can look at Theriot but the guy was not much of a player in their system and is exceeding what he did in the minors.

I try to tell Cubs fans that this team can never develop anyone and they need to "sign" everybody elses talent.

I was at the game where Yo got hurt, and many of the Cubs fans were being huge jags about it; clapping and cheering while he layed on the ground or whenever they kept showing the replay. I am not going to sink to that level, because frankly it was disgusting.

I will say that in my head I am happy the Brewer's chances may have improved, but I would never wish an injury on someone or cheer for it. There are things that go beyond the game, and someone feeling pain is someone feeling pain. I hate that part of it, but like him not pitching.

I try to tell Cubs fans that this team can never develop anyone and they need to "sign" everybody elses talent.

Though I can't guarantee that they all were originally signed by the Cubs, 12 members of the current 25 man roster have played for no other Major League ball club.

Zambrano, Wood, Wuertz, Marmol, Gallagher
Soto
Fontenot (from Baltimore in the Sosa trade), Theriot, Cedeno, Hoffpauir
Murton (from Boston along with Garciaparra)
Fukudome http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

March 27, 2002: D-Train traded by the Chicago Cubs with Jose Cueto (minors), Ryan Jorgensen, and Julian Tavarez to the Florida Marlins for Antonio Alfonseca and Matt Clement.

My bad on that. I should have looked it up. I can't believe that I forgot though that the trade included the six-fingered man.

Unfortunate for the Cubs, but I'd be shocked if he missed more than one start. Like someone else said, he has something cramp up every month, so I don't think they have much to worry about. I did get a kick out of Tim Kurkjian throwing in Ben Sheets' name casually as a trade possibility, but Zambrano injury or not I'd be surprised if A.J. Burnett's not a Cub by August.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Well it's hard to say if it'll be long or not. But that doesn't sound good if they are going to schedule an MRI arthrogram. Almost sounds like they are looking for some structural damage.

Not knowing anything specific, it's hard to get a read. However, the one thing you can say here is that this latest development isn't good news for the Cubs. It's not necessarily bad news, it just certainly isn't good news.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived