Brewer Fanatic

Zambrano leaves game with shoulder tightness. Update (post #81): Placed on 15-day DL, retroactive to 6/19

bobskube

I would rather there be no injuries either.

But this is Carlos Zambrano. This jerk does not have any sympathy for anyone but himself. If a guy is hurt, who better than him, right? Let's see what happens first. I'm sure it is nothing more than a short DL stint.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only time I'd be "happy" that Zambrano is hurt is if it was a result of his stupid mound antics a la Bill Gramatica, and not due to pitching. Sure he's an ass, but I'd much rather see him implode with like 7 walks than get injured. Like Ennder said, if Cy Dempster and others keep it up I don't see the Brewers gaining much unless Zambrano's out for a long time.

im not going to cheer for someone to get hurt, but if he is hurt for a while....

St. Louis - Chris Carpenter

Milwaukee - Yovani Gallardo

Chicago - Carlos Zambrano

Kind of strange.

Anyways, if he is hurt... I like our chances more, thats all im going to say.

I suck at sympathizing. So if you guys could help me who am I supposed to feel sorry for about Zambrano going down.

-Zambrano himself? A guy that has already made a healthy sum of money is signed for 5 more years and 90 million more dollars. The injury is non life threatening, won't affect his personal life and might not even affect his professional life after this season.

-The Tribune Company? They will get a billion dollar bid no matter what. Actually the Cubs are probably worth more if they lose. Or am I supposed to feel sorry that they continually take a financial advantage every season over the rest of the NL Central teams and squander it away.

-Cubs Fans? really, am I supposed to feel sorry for cubs fans?

As for competative issues with injuries. Every season is affected by injuries. It is a major usually forgotten theme of every playoff race. If you are upset that the Cubs won't be at their best this season, Then be irate that we won't see anywhere near the Cardinals best this season, or for the most part anyother team's best this season .

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I would rather he be healthy and implode like he usually does. That would be more satisfying.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm not sure the Cubs impact the Brewers chances at all. The Brewers realistic shot is the WC. I'm not saying they can't catch the Cubs, but the deck is stacked against them.

Don't agree with that at all. Just the number of teams competing always makes the division more realistic than the WC. That plus the fact the Brewers have 10 games left vs. the Cubs and can control things and they are done with the Marlins for instance. If Zambrano's lost for any length of time, it makes it that much more realistic. Not only would it take their best pitcher away, it takes away psychologically as well. The worst stretch this season for the Brewers were the 2-3 weeks after losing Gallardo.

There's some pretty shotty posts here guys. We all were upset when Cub fans were happy when Gallardo got hurt.

I really don't like "Big Z" but hope it's nothing overly horrible... liek homer said, it would be better to watch him implode. Which inning did he go down? I got to watch till the 5th-ish and saw Zs horrible 3rd inning.

I'm not happy when any player gets hurt. I actually, and I probably shouldn't admit this here, kind of like Carlos Zambrano. He's a complete ball player, and I think he's fun to watch pitch.

Am I happy that the Cubs could now have a tougher time making the playoffs? Yes.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Why wouldn't you want to see the Cubs best pitcher miss time this season?

I am getting too old to watch crappy players.

I want to watch Albert Pujols hit as much as I can, not Chris Duncan. When I watch baseball with my son, I want to enjoy watching the best players possible with him.

I hate the Cubs as much as anyone on this board, but I do love watching great players like Lee, Zambrano, etc. playing. As pointed out by Homer, watching a Zambrano implosion is one of baseball's great moments.

The Cubs have certainly had their share of injuries to SPs over the years.

I guess I would rather cheer for our players to beat the Cubs at full strength, rather than revel in every time a Cub gets hurt.

Plus the Baseball Gods living on Mt. Branyan, have a way of evening these things out, today's Zambrano injury could turn into tomorrow's Sheets injury, so let's not tempt the fates.

There was some laughing by Cub fans when YoGa was on the ground so I don't really give a rats behind what they think. I doubt it was from NSBB members though. The little I've read from their site they seemed to be pretty civil. They look to be the 1% of good Cub fans IMO.

The injury is non life threatening, won't affect his personal life and might not even affect his professional life after this season.

I had a shoulder injury in college and it still isn't the same more than 15 years later. As good as doctors are today turning hamburger back into steak is hard to do perfectly. Even if he does come back injuries tend to show themselves years later.

AS far as the injury itself it's the nature of the game. I don't celebrate injuries but, other than feeling for the physical pain of others, I don't really feel all that bad either.

I've been saying all along that somewhere along the line injuries will catch up with the other teams like it did the Brewers. It will also test my theory that the reason the Brewers are better is because their depth was better to begin with.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I would rather he be healthy and implode like he usually does. That would be more satisfying.

We've seen Zambrano do that many times throughout his career.

A playoff berth, which is more likely with Zambrano missing a significant amount of time, would be much more satisfying.

I am assuming this will be some sort of tendonitis/dead arm thing, and he will be back pitching before very long at all. That said, if it does turn out to be more serious and he misses significant time, I don't think there is any doubt it would change things rather dramatically - at least until Sheets gets hurt. Their rotation would immediately take a serious blow, which will impact the bullpen, etc. Beyond that, if they had hopes of acquiring Sabaitia, Harden, etc, the Cubs' price probably just went up.

At the moment, I am still conceeding the division to the Cubs, but I could waiver a bit if this turns out to be something. I remain convinced Pujols will opt for elbow surgery, and in my opinion the potential of a Zambrano injury should increase Attanasio/Melvin's motivation to go out and acquire a SP. This could potentially put the division into play, in addition to the WC.

Personally, I give a rip if we get to the playoffs because of another team's misfortune, so long as it happens. Gallardo, Riske, Gagne, Weeks (not to mention the assumes Sheets injury)...the Brewers haven't exactly been a picture of health this year.

Well put by FTJ and Buc. My feeling is that Zambrano should take as much time as needed to come back at full strength. If that so happens to coincide with YoGa's return then I consider it a wash. 6.5 and climbing, hope the Cubs haven't started looking over their shoulder the way the Brewers did last year.

When I watch baseball with my son, I want to enjoy watching the best players possible with him.

Os true. Some of the best memories I have of the Brewers are of a series in MN when Plesac had to face Puckett with the winning run on in the 9th two days in a row and he struck him out both times. That memory of a series in the early 90's doesn't last to 08 without it being two of the best facing off.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Since the face on my schadenfreude meter blew off, and since I don't want to tempt the baseball gods and see Manny Parra killed in a freak bumper car accident, and to stop acting like it's Christmas morning and myself from calling my repellent Cubs fans friends all morning with my Jack Nicholson as "The Joker" laugh, I'm repeating my mantra: "Zambrano will be fine. Nothing to see here. Zambrano will be fine. Nothing to see here. Zambrano will be fine. Nothing to see here. Zambrano will be fine."

"Zambrano will be fine. Nothing to see here. Zambrano will be fine. Nothing to see here. Zambrano will be fine. Nothing to see here. Zambrano will be fine."

http://www.pubhousedialogues.com/media/blogs/curmudgeon/rcaw.jpg

Archived