Brewer Fanatic

Things to Do in Twin Cities

yoshii8

My wife and I are heading to the twin cities on the 28th and 29th, staying in Minneapolis until Monday, and we are going to the games on Sat. and Sun. She is a Brewer fan, but I think most of the reason she goes on these trips is because she knows how much I love the Brewers. To repay her for her kindness, I would like to make this a great weekend for her, so my question for those living in or familiar with the area are:

1. Since she loves music, what are a couple of good places to see live music? I looked up a couple of places, and Dr. Mambos Combo is playing at Bunkers, and Sheila E is playing at Dakotas(very expensive). Has anyone been to either one of these establishments, or do you have other recommendations. She is into bluegrass, reggae, r&B type stuff.

2. Do you know of any restaraunts that are romantic/laid back type places that aren't super expensive? And on the opposite end, a good ribs place that we could have a beer at w/ good atmosphere.

3. Does anybody else have any other things that they might recommend, that might be fun for a couple to do?

I appreciate any feedback I could get.

Also, Mall of America if you have never been there. Personally I don't think its all that great (just a huge mall), but women love it. If she likes to shop even a little, this is sure to win some brownie points.

I see that John Hiatt is playing the Pantages on the 28th. Matisyahu (not my kind of thing, but he is reggae, I guess, technically) is playing at the Zoo that night as well. Lucinda Williams is playing the Zoo on the 30th. The RZA (you didn't mention hip-hop, but it's the Rzarector!) is playing 1st Avenue on the 30th.

Romantic restaurants aren't my thing, so I can't help you there. There are plenty of good restaurants around, but no great ones, imo. Dinkytown, which is a neighborhood near the U of Minnesota campus, has some ok choices that aren't that expensive. I kind of like Vescio's, which is an Italian place. There are a couple places farther from downtown Minneapolis I really like, but they'd be confusing to get to from near the 'dome (then again, so might anything).

as for other stuff, what are you into? The Walker Art Center is worth checking out, they've got a pretty nice collection of modern art. There is a science museum some people like in St. Paul. The Mississippi River runs through the middle of Minneapolis so some people like to hike (well, walk) or bike along that. There is some interesting nightlife in the part of the city called uptown (some ok restaurants too, including a couple crappy rib places). I dunno, there's a lot to do, like there is in any good sized city.

Also, Mall of America if you have never been there. Personally I don't think its all that great (just a huge mall), but women love it. If she likes to shop even a little, this is sure to win some brownie points.

Ditto the Mall of America. I think they still have that Underwater World. If your wife is a sucker for animals,water creatures,etc, she'll love it.

Avoid Mall of America like the plague.

Dakota is a very nice jazz club, basically a shirt and tie kind of place. The Varsity is probably my favorite venue in the Cities, but I don't know who is playing there. Dinkytown has a couple nice places like The Loring Pasta Bar and The Kitty Cat Klub which are worth checking out. Northeast has the two best bars in town with The Bulldog and Psycho Suzi's with Gasthof being another fun place to go.

As for the general Uptown area I'm partial to The Black Forest Inn and The Bad Waitress for places to eat and The Bulldog on that side of town is nice place to grab a drink, though not too many places in that area to see a show.

Market Bar-B-Que on Nicollet is probably the best rib joint in town.

MoA is still very nice, especially if you just want to see it. About a dozen good places to eat there, including a State Fair stand that is delicious.

If your wife likes antiques and such, downtown Stillwater has a small town feel.

And enjoy a White Castle for me. Mmm.

Do you know of any restaraunts that are romantic/laid back type places that aren't super expensive?

While not romantic (but fairly nice), I really like Ichiban Steakhouse at the end of Nicollet Mall. They have teppanyaki, but it's not good - get the sushi bar. You sit in front of a moat at the bar and the sushi chef sends out sushi which you just grab off boats as they float by. It's all you can eat sushi for $25-30 depending on the time you go, and the sushi is quite good for somewhere not near an ocean.

I'm a big fan of Axel's Bonfire in St. Paul. Dueling Pianos on Friday and Saturday Nights after 10.

I think I know one of the girls that plays Piano there. It is a cool place (and close to Grand Ole Creamery, so that could be a nice date). Grand Avenue in general is fun.

This is why I love brewerfan.net! Thanks you everybody for all of the wonderful feedback, now I can show my wife a great time, and earn another Brewers away trip.

BTW, I'm not so sure what I meant by a rib place w/ a good atmosphere, I guess I was just trying to sound cool?

As an aside, if anyone is heading up to the Cities early (like Thursday), I'd be happy to offer you some Minnesota Lynx tickets for the game that evening - tip is at 7pm at Target Center.

If interested, feel free to drop a message in my Inbox.

Archived