Brewer Fanatic

Hank Steinbrenner Rips NL

eanelson4

Article Here

Rant

Sorry for anybody that may like him, but this guy is an absolute moron. So one of his pitchers got hurt running the bases, big deal. What does he think about all of the other pitchers in the league that don't get hurt running the bases? I don't like the DH rule, never have. I think that if a person lacks at least a basic skill set at 1/2 of the game, they shouldn't be playing it in the first place. Look at Ben Sheets. He is the worst offense player....ever (and an injury prone one as well), but even he has managed to not get hurt while on the base paths.

Hank can't seem to discern the difference between a fluke event and a true problem. Saying things like "the NL needs to grow up and join the 21st century" is just plain dumb. He has done nothing for me except add to the fact that I can't stand the Yankees and anybody that would stand behind whatever this buffoon says.

/rant

Thoughts?

I think that if a person lacks at least a basic skill set at 1/2 of the game, they shouldn't be playing it in the first place.

I'd like to see Prince Fielder pitch.

But I do agree that Hank is a blowhard who just wants to read his own headlines. I like the DH just fine and I like pitchers hitting just fine. I'd prefer both leagues to be the same, but whatever. It doesn't keep me up at night (although I am up at night right now).

I'd like to see Prince Fielder pitch.

Ha, got me on that one. I suppose that statement could use some amending. I think what I was trying to get at was a baseline level of athleticism that should be required of major league ballplayers, if you know what I mean.

Don't worry eanelson, we all knew what you meant. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I get the idea of wanting a guy to actually play on the field and not just sit on the bench all game except for when he bats, but I also get that watching a pitcher hit (well most pitchers) is no fun at all.

I'm with dlk9s. I really don't care what they do. If they want to make everybody use the DH, or get rid of the DH. Not going to bother me at all. I would just like to see them adapt one of those for both the American and National leagues.

He certainly is his father's son.

Nothing would make me smile more than a Brewers playoff berth while the Yankees sit at home for the month of October.

Heck, I don't even need the Brewers in the playoffs part of that sentence.

(okay, yes I do!!!!)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

the only reason we hear or read these things from hank is that he has proven he is an idiot so reporters go out of their way to interview him.. if he wasn't an idiot then we wouldn't be privilaged to everyday comments from hank. as long as he keeps saying stupid things like this he will find a mic in his face every second of every day. just be glad that he is not influncing one decison made by the brewers.

He should tell all his pitchers to intentionally swing and miss three times, so they can avoid the incredible hazard of running the bases. While he is at it he should also ban salad tongs, another known hazard to pitchers.

Well, considering that catcher is a premium defensive position, perhaps the AL should have 2 DH's ... I mean, it's already so hard on them to squat behind the plate for the whole game... and considering shortstop is also a premium defensive position, we should allow a DH for them as well... we shouldn't expect them to spend all that time fielding, and then try to hit the ball and run the bases.

Maybe we should just use "ghost-men" altogether.

There is almost no noticable difference in strategy between the NL and AL anymore, there is no reason for the pitchers to be batting. The only strategy you add is whether or not to pinch hit for the pitcher in the middle innings and which PH's to use first and the majority of the time these are trivial choices.

I'll be very happy when the NL adapts the DH down the line and I'm almost sure they will do it eventually.

not sure if anyone is aware of this, but in yesterdays oakland @ arizona game. their starting pitcher (who apparently wasnt 100% okay) was told to sit in the box and not swing at anything. naturally he K'ed 4 times.

Well, considering that catcher is a premium defensive position, perhaps the AL should have 2 DH's ... I mean, it's already so hard on them to squat behind the plate for the whole game... and considering shortstop is also a premium defensive position, we should allow a DH for them as well... we shouldn't expect them to spend all that time fielding, and then try to hit the ball and run the bases.

Maybe we should just use "ghost-men" altogether.

Perfect solution: follow the NFL's lead. 9 man defensive unit, and a 9 man offensive unit. Expand the rosters to 52!

There is almost no noticable difference in strategy between the NL and AL anymore, there is no reason for the pitchers to be batting. The only strategy you add is whether or not to pinch hit for the pitcher in the middle innings and which PH's to use first and the majority of the time these are trivial choices.

I'll be very happy when the NL adapts the DH down the line and I'm almost sure they will do it eventually.

Don't hold your breath on the NL adopting the DH.

Since moving to Chicago, I've been watching a lot of Sox games with Sox fans and the stratigic differences in the AL are very apparent. Not only that, but most fans of AL teams seem to like NL baseball much better. Ozzie probably doesn't even know what a double switch is.

Maybe we should just use "ghost-men" altogether

Aha! Now you are on to something. A throwback to playing a backyard baseball game with 4 people. Ghostie on first!

Excellent post BtA. I couldn't agree more.

I'd give Hank (with a silent "W") slightly more credence had he made this statement at any other point, say, when a Yankees starting pitcher HADN'T just gotten injured running the bases. Rule changes are only applicable when they positively affect the Yanks.

It's like the whole tree falling in the forest analogy. If something happens, and it doesn't affect the Yankees, did it really happen?

Besides, does that mean that we have to have a "designated backing up 1st base" position for all comebackers hit towards 1st in the AL, just in case one hurts themselves covering the bag?

I say the AL should embrace the 19th century and do away with the DH!

Hank Steinbrenner has always struck me as that slightly-tipsy fan in the cheap seats yelling out his half-ignorant baseball knowledge to anyone who will listen. and now that Hank has an audience, he just yells idiot stuff all the more.

from the unique pleasure of seeing our team in both leagues, i couldn't be happier that we're in the NL with no DH. the extra decisions a manager has to make in the NL seems to breed a lot more debate and second-guessing from the fans.

I guess the AL should go one step furhter to help poor Hank out. They need to implement designated fileders for the pitcher. If they can't run 90' without getting hurt they sure as heck shouldn't be expected to run on the infield after a ball, pick it up and throw it all in the same inning. Sometimes they have to do that like five times a game for petes sake.

I wholeheartedly agree pitchers shouldn't be expected to leave the mound area for fear of injury. I think they should get those golf carts out of storage so they don't stub their toe on their way to the mound. After all this is the 21st centruy. An age in America when obesity is running rampant. Where excercise is a dirty word. How on earth could we expect our athletes to do something my grandma can routinely do without fear of injury?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The Yankees should join the 21st century and realize the league needs to move to a 100% revenue sharing, strict salary cap economy. Every other sport has made the step, when will baseball?

Somehow, I don't see The Little Stein seeing "moving into the 21st century" as a good thing in this regard. Don't want a debate about the economy, just pointing out (as if it wasn't obvious) how stupid his comments are.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

not sure if anyone is aware of this, but in yesterdays oakland @ arizona game. their starting pitcher (who apparently wasnt 100% okay) was told to sit in the box and not swing at anything. naturally he K'ed 4 times.

Grace and Sutton were having a field day with this -- going on about children coming from miles around to look at the Justin Duchscherer Statue. It was pretty amusing.

The thing is, I had no idea that the DH was such a radical, 21st century invention. Thanks, Hank! There are a number of reasons that interleague play needs to be tweaked but this isn't one of them. I say this as a fan of an AL team as well as the Brewers. AL pitchers at one point in their lives had to hit and run the bases. This isn't new.

Archived